Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2007, 03:38 PM

63 posts, read 282,428 times

Advertisements

I have settled on getting an apartment with a detached garage. Post Vinings seems to be my best bet BUT one complaint seems to persist: the utilities are very high.

Has anyone ever lived here and/or heard of experiences at this apartment community? The rent and detached garage are great BUT I want to be sure I'm not getting myself in too deep with utilities.

THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut2k View Post
I have settled on getting an apartment with a detached garage. Post Vinings seems to be my best bet BUT one complaint seems to persist: the utilities are very high.

Has anyone ever lived here and/or heard of experiences at this apartment community? The rent and detached garage are great BUT I want to be sure I'm not getting myself in too deep with utilities.

THANKS!!

Maybe the utilities in Atlanta are just higher than I expect--but then again, maybe I'm just being paranoid...

Although why would an apartment complex have any control over the amount of the utilities...??

Old 07-07-2007, 12:30 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,897,365 times
Well, since it's known that many Post units have walls that are paper-thin, maybe the heat/air is leaking into neighborhing units?

Sorry - had to. Posts usually ARE associated with paying for "fluff" (landscaping, pools, etc) rather than quality built apartments.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:26 AM

61 posts, read 225,775 times
if you give the power company the apt number, they will tell you the average power bills for the preceding year. Maybe the water company does this also.
Post has a reputation as having noisy apts, and also, of treating people very poorly once they move in, and hitting them with ridiculous hidden fees. I would read reviews at apartmentratings.com before moving.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Well, since it's known that many Post units have walls that are paper-thin, maybe the heat/air is leaking into neighborhing units?

Sorry - had to. Posts usually ARE associated with paying for "fluff" (landscaping, pools, etc) rather than quality built apartments.
Hmm...ok. Something to think about. It's just a short-term lease--will be only about six months. Is it bearable for six months!?!

What kind of "hidden" fees are we talking about here? I'm in the legal field and usually read contracts, etc but if I can get a "heads up" on the potential problems, I might be able to save myself some trouble.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:55 AM

they are notorious for raising rents by 100 dollars or more when renewing despite verbal agreements, but that should not affect you, maybe that is what i was thinking about. I don't remember the exact complaints but there are dozens of reviews of post at apartmentratings.com and almost every post property has the same complaints about noisy apts, rude staff, and nickel and diming everyone.
you should be ok for 6 months, i have been there it is very nice

Old 07-07-2007, 07:59 AM

here is reviews of post vinings

Post Vinings Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Smyrna apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

hum, i was reading the reviews, some said the apts bill you for electric, gas, water? That sounds scary. Somone said thier water bill was 53 dollars.

Last edited by HowdyYall; 07-07-2007 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: extra info

Old 07-07-2007, 09:46 PM

It was my understanding that every apartment community includes cold water and sewer in the rent.

I have actually known people who have lived in Posts. They really didn't like them. As mentioned, the landscaping, pools, and workout facilities are top-notch, but yes, they are many times compared to having "L.A. Attitudes" once you get your foot in the door. Your entire existance there relies on a very high income and high credit score.

I wasn't making up the thin walls part, either. I was at a friends apartment in one of them once and had to use his bathroom. As I was exiting I could hear his neighbors having sex door. Now we're talking wild donkey noise type of sex and you could hear EVERYTHING like you were in the room with them. That might be ok if you're kinky, but, I don't think for $1,000 a month for a tiny tiny unit you should be able to hear THAT.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:22 PM

1,123 posts, read 6,539,910 times
Don't all apartment complexes ********* when you renew? They basically bank on the fact that moving is such a pain in the a$$ that you would rather just pay the extra $100/month. Every apartment I've lived in here was like that. Your best bet is just to try to work the "deals" to get the lowest rent, and hope for the best moving forward. I've actually complained enough in the past to get the mark-up reduced, but had to pull competing complexes' rates and prove the "market rate" was lower than what they wanted me to pay to renew.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
Don't all apartment complexes ********* when you renew? They basically bank on the fact that moving is such a pain in the a$$ that you would rather just pay the extra $100/month. Every apartment I've lived in here was like that. Your best bet is just to try to work the "deals" to get the lowest rent, and hope for the best moving forward. I've actually complained enough in the past to get the mark-up reduced, but had to pull competing complexes' rates and prove the "market rate" was lower than what they wanted me to pay to renew.
I agree... that term "market rate" is heavily overused as justification to raise rents by apartment management companies.

The biggest mistake people make here is that when they first move here they rent something that is near their limit as to what they can afford in rent payments. Then after a year the rent goes up past that limit so they have to really stretch their budget. Then the next year poof, it goes up yet again and they can no longer afford to live there and have to move.

Figure out your top figure for rent that you can afford, then look for something LOWER than that, taking into account that yes, your rent WILL go up every single time your lease expires and you have to renew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: