Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 06:59 AM

3 posts, read 4,203 times

Advertisements

I regret my vote for Deal instead of Handel in the run-off; but maybe Georgians would rather have a male D than a female R......time for Chip Rogers to ascend!!!!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:22 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Is there even a Democrat party in this state or the South anymore? I have said it before and I will say it again, the ONLY place a Democrat can win in this region is in a black district.
True.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:46 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Sure ... people are voting against the current party in power. Not a surprise.
In my opinion it's a little more complicated than that. Most people vote on the basis of perceived stereotypes rather than what is actually done.

For example, there's an outcry (as usual) against higher taxes. However, Obama and the Dems have actually lowered taxes. So the vote doesn't really reflect a rejection of the actual conduct of Democrats, but a rejection of the stereotype of Democrats.

Likewise the complaints about government spending. There was no outcry when Republicans were spending like it was going out of style and vastly increasing the size and intrusiveness of government because the image of Republicans is that they are frugal and anti big government. So what they actually do is not critical. Similarly, when Democrats continue the same policies they are viewed as out of control because that's the stereotype. Doesn't matter who's actually doing what, it's about perceptions and stereotypes.

What gets voters really get fired up are the so-called wedge issues like gays, gun rights, evolution, race, abortion and illegal immigration. Taxing and spending policies are essentially the same under either party, but it's these emotional issues that carry the day.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:59 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
In my opinion it's a little more complicated than that. Most people vote on the basis of perceived stereotypes rather than what is actually done.

For example, there's an outcry (as usual) against higher taxes. However, Obama and the Dems have actually lowered taxes. So the vote doesn't really reflect a rejection of the actual conduct of Democrats, but a rejection of the stereotype of Democrats.

Likewise the complaints about government spending. There was no outcry when Republicans were spending like it was going out of style and vastly increasing the size and intrusiveness of government because the image of Republicans is that they are frugal and anti big government. So what they actually do is not critical. Similarly, when Democrats continue the same policies they are viewed as out of control because that's the stereotype. Doesn't matter who's actually doing what, it's about perceptions and stereotypes.

What gets voters really get fired up are the so-called wedge issues like gays, gun rights, evolution, race, abortion and illegal immigration. Taxing and spending policies are essentially the same under either party, but it's these emotional issues that carry the day.
Right, and the Democrats going against the will of the American people on Obamacare, The AZ Immigration law, etc.. had NOTHING to do with it.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:28 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,592 times
Quote:
Right, and the Democrats going against the will of the American people on Obamacare, The AZ Immigration law, etc.. had NOTHING to do with it.
The Arizona Immigration law is unconstitutional, and will be declared unconstitutional in very short order. It usurps federal authority over immigration and it's unconstitutionally vague. Not to mention that for all intents and purposes it suspends people's right to habeas corpus. No way on earth does it make it out of the Ninth Circuit.

Nothing, but nothing makes me more furious than politicians passing laws that they know are unconstitutional to pander to voter's ignorance. It's wasteful, and absolutely absurd. I knew Deal was an idiot when he said he would pass that stupid law here. All Georgia needs is to waste more money defending legislation that has no chance at all to stand up to constitutional challenges.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
There were numerous threads on here after the 2008 election of Georgia going blue, the south going blue, red states were done for, etc, etc.
Georgia will never go blue in our lifetimes. The only Southern state that might is North Carolina -- some of those hippy dippy types up around Asheville tend to have a more progressive bent but otherwise this is still the solid South. The addition of vast numbers of Northerners has only cemented that.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
The Arizona Immigration law is unconstitutional, and will be declared unconstitutional in very short order. It usurps federal authority over immigration and it's unconstitutionally vague. Not to mention that for all intents and purposes it suspends people's right to habeas corpus. No way on earth does it make it out of the Ninth Circuit.

Nothing, but nothing makes me more furious than politicians passing laws that they know are unconstitutional to pander to voter's ignorance. It's wasteful, and absolutely absurd. I knew Deal was an idiot when he said he would pass that stupid law here. All Georgia needs is to waste more money defending legislation that has no chance at all to stand up to constitutional challenges.
Tell that to the 25 other states along with Georgia that are considering the exact same law. Are they all idiots too considering thats HALF the country?

Old 11-03-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Georgia will never go blue in our lifetimes. The only Southern state that might is North Carolina -- some of those hippy dippy types up around Asheville tend to have a more progressive bent but otherwise this is still the solid South. The addition of vast numbers of Northerners has only cemented that.
North Carolina going for Obama in 08 was just a blip on the radar, it will be back in the Republican fold by the 2012 elections. The fact that they elect more Dem's than surrounding states is really no shock when you consider the amount of University areas in that state which all tend to go blue. Just remember it is still very much a Southern state and that will not change anytime soon.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:06 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times
Too many wish it here the 1800s all over again here

Old 11-03-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
That's a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Most Americans (Republicans, Democrats and independents) support what's actually in the Obamacare legislation.

Obamacare’s provisions for insurance reform (ie, guaranteed issue despite preexisting conditions, eliminating lifetime benefit caps), tax credits to small businesses, health insurance exchanges, closing the Medicare doughnut hole, expanding high risk insurance pools are all highly popular.

However, many folks go off the rails based on what they *think* is in the bill. They hear talk about “death panels”, “government takeover” and stuff like that which isn’t in the bill and they freak out.

That’s why I say most voters tend to travel on stereotypes and hysteria rather than reality. It’s like those Medicare recipients running around with signs saying “Keep your government hands off my Medicare!”

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta