Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 11:31 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,712,219 times

Advertisements

Piedmont Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 04:49 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Much smaller...Central Park is 770 acres and Piedmont Park is 189 acres. Considering Atlanta is 1/16 the size of NYC, population wise (ie, 8.4 million vs 540K), this means it's a pretty big park for the city. That's 2857 people per acre for Piedmont Park vs 10909 people per acre for Central Park. I'm not knocking Central Park. It's fantastic. Just pointing out that Atlanta has a really nice sized park for a city of it's size.

However, when Piedmont park was redesigned it was done so by the sons of the man who designed Central Park (Frederick Law Olmsted).
I'd agree with this. I used to live near 14th and Piedmont, so I went to the park all the time. Now I live in Manhattan and go to Central Park all the time. Of course Central Park is much larger, but it's also much busier. Going for a walk around Central Park on a nice day will involve a lot of shoulder bumping and trying not to get killed by bicyclists.

When I tell people about Atlanta, I like to say that I used to live next to Piedmont Park, which is sort of like Atlanta's equivalent to Central Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
In what way is Centennial Park not a park?
I think someone earlier had it pretty good when they said it felt more like a plaza than an actual park. It doesn't seem like the kind of place that I'd specifically drive to in order to spend time, but more like a great place to go sit and eat lunch if I happen to be in the area already.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:42 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,532,532 times
I think Prospect Park in Brooklyn is a better comparison to Piedmont Park than Central Park is. Central Park is in a class by itself. In some parts(particularly on the north end) you can almost forget that you are in one of the largest cities on earth.

I was impressed by the Piedmont Park expansion and I think it has a lot of potential when the little wetlands project fills in. Centennial Park is alright I guess.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:55 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Sure, naturally, this is a large city so there is always some risk of confrontational crime. But I've never heard of it happening at Piedmont Park during the hours it's supposed to be open.

It's a very nice park and well-used.
Well, Piedmont Park is safe but there have occasionally been incidents.

http://www.thegavoice.com/index.php/...-piedmont-park

Old 06-22-2011, 07:04 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post

I think someone earlier had it pretty good when they said it felt more like a plaza than an actual park. It doesn't seem like the kind of place that I'd specifically drive to in order to spend time, but more like a great place to go sit and eat lunch if I happen to be in the area already.
I still don't understand how that makes it something other than a park.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
I still don't understand how that makes it something other than a park.
More concrete and less greenery? It's not a clear line but that's sort of the distinction in my mind.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:32 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
More concrete and less greenery? It's not a clear line but that's sort of the distinction in my mind.
So, is the pocket park next to the Royal Peacock on Auburn not a park?

How about Woodruff Park? It probably has a higher concrete to greenery ratio than Centennial Park.

I'm not taking anything away from Piedmont, but to hold a 15 year old park built on an old housing project to the same standard as a hundred + year old park which was always greenlands, is just silly. And to say it's not even a park at all is just baffling.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
So, is the pocket park next to the Royal Peacock on Auburn not a park?

How about Woodruff Park? It probably has a higher concrete to greenery ratio than Centennial Park.

I'm not taking anything away from Piedmont, but to hold a 15 year old park built on an old housing project to the same standard as a hundred + year old park which was always greenlands, is just silly. And to say it's not even a park at all is just baffling.
It's fine with me to call them all parks.

I'm just saying that in my own mind, such as it is, I tend to think of parks as having more greenspace -- trees, grass, shrubbery, etc. -- and plazas as having more of a hardscape feel, and typically being surrounded by urban streets.

But as I said, the difference is hardly clear cut.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:37 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
With the opening of the new expansion areas of Piedmont Park being relatively recent, these new hidden treasures are unknown to many people. WSB-TV, Channel 2, has included both new and historic areas of Piedmont Park in their season premier showing of Georgia's Hidden Treasures which will air at 8 PM this Wednesday evening, June 29th.

Please tune in Wednesday at 8pm to see Piedmont Park featured in the season premier of WSB's Georgia’s Hidden Treasures.
http://atlanta.daybooknetwork.com/story/2011/06/24/407452011-wsb-tv-hidden-treas-june.shtml

Old 04-14-2014, 07:35 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,785,358 times
Piedmont Park was wonderful this weekend. The Dogwood fest was great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta