Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 12:17 AM

17 posts, read 29,232 times

Advertisements

Ok, I am kind of new to the board and I have read over some threads, some good and some bad about Atlanta. Well let’s get one thing straight people, if you’re are so disgusted about Atlanta…Then MOVE or go back to wherever you came from. Yes all city and states have it pros and cons, so we are not the only one and we are definitely NOT the worst. My topic for discussion is will Atlanta meet our own expectations in the near future?? Right now Atlanta is making moves, personally I think they’re not moving as fast as they should be but however, we are not an idle city. Yes I am a huge fan of the recent developments along Atlanta and I am holding onto my seat for Aerotroplis and the developments that would add a beautiful touch to our skyline (downtown, midtown, buckhead, E.T.C) and let’s not forget about the infamous “Streets of buckhead”. There are even small towns that are currently itching its well into development phases as well. Let’s not forget that we’re also the new face to Hollywood, incredible nightlife, and the city of networking. So here are my expectations for the near future, the first and important is Atlanta economy!! Yes we have seen its worst and felt the impact but now I see Atlanta gradually making steps into gaining some financial setbacks. Next is the proclaimed developments, let’s make this happen asap, that would also help our economy grow, I would like to see more FINISHED and highly constructed neighborhoods along the city, we need a Bel Air, a house on the hills! Also more entertainment jobs for the city, and Hollywood jobs, and also more small business along the city, L.A & New York have a bunch of small businesses everywhere from, restaurants, boutiques, clothing, e.t.c, next I will like for our BS governor to improve our educational plan throughout GA. Last but least many tourist spots in the city; let’s give out of towners something not to forget. So where are your expectations or feedback??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 09:54 AM

747 posts, read 1,544,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceAtl2k11 View Post
Ok, I am kind of new to the board and I have read over some threads, some good and some bad about Atlanta. Well let’s get one thing straight people, if you’re are so disgusted about Atlanta…Then MOVE or go back to wherever you came from. Yes all city and states have it pros and cons, so we are not the only one and we are definitely NOT the worst. My topic for discussion is will Atlanta meet our own expectations in the near future?? Right now Atlanta is making moves, personally I think they’re not moving as fast as they should be but however, we are not an idle city. Yes I am a huge fan of the recent developments along Atlanta and I am holding onto my seat for Aerotroplis and the developments that would add a beautiful touch to our skyline (downtown, midtown, buckhead, E.T.C) and let’s not forget about the infamous “Streets of buckhead”. There are even small towns that are currently itching its well into development phases as well. Let’s not forget that we’re also the new face to Hollywood, incredible nightlife, and the city of networking. So here are my expectations for the near future, the first and important is Atlanta economy!! Yes we have seen its worst and felt the impact but now I see Atlanta gradually making steps into gaining some financial setbacks. Next is the proclaimed developments, let’s make this happen asap, that would also help our economy grow, I would like to see more FINISHED and highly constructed neighborhoods along the city, we need a Bel Air, a house on the hills! Also more entertainment jobs for the city, and Hollywood jobs, and also more small business along the city, L.A & New York have a bunch of small businesses everywhere from, restaurants, boutiques, clothing, e.t.c, next I will like for our BS governor to improve our educational plan throughout GA. Last but least many tourist spots in the city; let’s give out of towners something not to forget. So where are your expectations or feedback??
How would adding more (unneeded) residential, retail, and office space help our city grow? Seems like that would keep us in the hole...

Old 01-23-2011, 10:12 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,532,532 times
This is all "pie in the sky" stuff dude and focusing on stuff like that is what has gotten this city in the trouble it's in in the first place in my opinion. Aside from education and encouraging small business growth, that other stuff isn't really gonna benefit the people who live here.

We need to get the fundamentals right. We need to get our roads in drivable shape again instead of leaving steel plates on them for months. We can't let 6 inches of snow completely shut down the city for almost a week. We need an accountable police force and a transit system that actually serves the metro. We need a sanitation department that doesn't leave trash scattered all over the place when they do pickups simply because they are too lazy to take 10 seconds and pick up what they drop. We need to get a handle on the graffiti that seems to be getting a lot worse.

The next decade should focus on the little things that make a city worth living in for all people.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:39 AM

Kudos DTL. The focus should be less on how impressive the skyline is or how "blingy" the city looks to the rest of the country and more about how safe we are, how well the schools perform, etc. We need to focus on quality of life issues, things that will make this city healthier and more viable for the future.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
How would adding more (unneeded) residential, retail, and office space help our city grow? Seems like that would keep us in the hole...

Let me rephrase this, have you never heard it takes MONEY to make MONEY? Aerotroplis is projected to bring over 10,000 jobs after the build out. Yes i believe adding mixed used developments will help us get out the hole. It will create more jobs! Atlanta needs to mainly focus on bringing more companies to Atlanta like how they are now bringing "Hollywood" here. They offer directors, productions a good price to shoot in Georgia period. Take the new x-man movie for example. If Atlanta finish what they started and bragin with major companies to come here. Right now major companies in the U.S is looking for the better dollar.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
This is all "pie in the sky" stuff dude and focusing on stuff like that is what has gotten this city in the trouble it's in in the first place in my opinion. Aside from education and encouraging small business growth, that other stuff isn't really gonna benefit the people who live here.

We need to get the fundamentals right. We need to get our roads in drivable shape again instead of leaving steel plates on them for months. We can't let 6 inches of snow completely shut down the city for almost a week. We need an accountable police force and a transit system that actually serves the metro. We need a sanitation department that doesn't leave trash scattered all over the place when they do pickups simply because they are too lazy to take 10 seconds and pick up what they drop. We need to get a handle on the graffiti that seems to be getting a lot worse.

The next decade should focus on the little things that make a city worth living in for all people.
I agree with you 100%, maybe that was something i didn't DETAIL. Yes Atlanta needs to focus on the minor things that they can knock out before approaching the major things. We need a beautification development of course.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
Kudos DTL. The focus should be less on how impressive the skyline is or how "blingy" the city looks to the rest of the country and more about how safe we are, how well the schools perform, etc. We need to focus on quality of life issues, things that will make this city healthier and more viable for the future.
I think we have totally different views on the word development! The word success is not define by ugly, run-down, or trashy. One thing I was taught is you must look like success in order for you to handle success. "Blingy"? Not at all, but how about making our city look like success and positive. So don't underestimate me! Yes Atlanta needs to focus on issue is the quality of life and ALL THAT SURROUNDS IT!

Old 01-23-2011, 01:10 PM

The city will "look like success" when we have more important things in order. Crime, schools, transportation. I'm all for bringing jobs into the city, but developments that bring more cashier jobs into the city won't help us in the long run.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:22 PM

Don't get me wrong I do agree with you Koko339, however, Any job is a percentage away from our unemployment rate. I did my research and found that Atlanta crime rate has drop since their last findings. Note this: Unemployment rate drops, so does crime! Schools and University is the far most important issue the city needs to focus. I also heard that the Atlanta transit hub is back in progress. Remember medium baby steps!!

Old 01-23-2011, 03:22 PM

227 posts, read 494,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceAtl2k11 View Post
Well let’s get one thing straight people, if you’re are so disgusted about Atlanta…Then MOVE or go back to wherever you came from.
After hearing that for the 51,155,541th time, it really doesn't become a threat anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: