Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 11:03 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,254 times

Advertisements

"State Rep. Mike Jacobs says he will hold off pushing an annexation bill for Brookhaven, and will instead look at whether the affluent area neighboring Atlanta’s Buchkead community should become a city, according to the Dunwoody Reporter.

Jacobs said he plans to hold a community meeting at Chamblee First United Methodist Church on March 29 to discuss incorporation.

Jacobs, and Rep. Tom Taylor, kicked up controversy when they introduced a bill in the state Legislature that would allow the area to be annexed into Dunwoody or, in a revised second draft of the legislation, Chamblee."

Read more: Cityhood discussed for Brookhaven | Atlanta Business Chronicle

The main push behind the incorporation is the area around Murphey Candler Park, south of I-285 and Dunwoody/Perimeter Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 11:58 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
How many people would be involved, I wonder?

Old 03-22-2011, 12:28 PM

16,699 posts, read 29,515,591 times
I think Brookhaven should be annexed by the City of Atlanta.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

Now that would be a trip.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:37 PM

16,699 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Now that would be a trip.

It would be...and totally awesome!

Old 03-22-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
It would be...and totally awesome!
I agree, although you have to wonder how long it would take for the residents of Brookhaven to recover from PTSD.

You know, a pretty good chuck of Historic Brookhaven has actually been in the city limits since the 1952 annexation. At this point, however, the city would face some serious uphill battles in convincing any of the neighborhoods in that area to join in. I'm just not sure how the city would sell itself these days -- William B. Hartsfield is long gone, and his tactics wouldn't fly in today's world anyway.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:27 PM

I can't believe how fast this is all moving. Jacobs is going to introduce a bill in this legislative session with a city charter. I am anxious to see what the boundaries will be and if they stretch to I-85.

The Dunwoody Crier - Front

Quote:
A new telephone poll conducted by State Rep. Mike Jacobs (R-North DeKalb) found that a large majority of those polled would favor leaving unincorporated DeKalb to be part of an existing city or even forming a new one. In fact, forming a new city of Brookhaven was the favorite over joining the existing city of Dunwoody or Chamblee.

Jacobs said he wasn’t surprised that the creation of a new city of Brookhaven was the most popular outcome of his poll.

"The Brookhaven brand has a nice ring it," Jacobs told the Crier. “Our area which is not in Dunwoody, Chamblee or Brookhaven has historically been referred to as North Brookhaven.” Jacobs added that the advantage of a new city of Brookhaven is that “it’s completely a blank slate. We can set it up in whatever way citizens are interested in setting up a city.”

The poll results have prompted Jacobs to draft legislation for a city charter for a city of Brookhaven, to be introduced before the end of this year’s session.

Also, looks like the dirt-slinging has already started, with two competing feasibility studies in the works. A city of Brookhaven is definitely going to be a controversial issue, just as Dunwoody was:

Brookhaven Annexation and Incorporation to be Studied by Local Universities - Brookhaven, GA Patch

Quote:
The president of a local homeowners and business association announced last night it paid The Georgia Institute of Technology and Clark Atlanta University a total of $25,000 for a six-month study to determine the financial and social benefits of annexation and/or incorporation of Brookhaven.

Kevin Hughley, who heads the the Brookhaven Chamblee Homeowners and Neighborhood Business Alliance (BCHNBA), said the study will prove what the alliance already knows - that the idea of incorporation is too costly, he said. "We're trying to create another city? When you create a city, you've got to pay for it," Hughley said.

Hughley was critical of Jacobs, saying he was motivated by the idea of maintaining a Republican stronghold in his district.

Jacobs told Patch Wednesday morning that a group of citizens are organizing to lead fund-raising efforts on a separate feasibility study. This separate study, Jacobs said, would be conducted by the Carl Vincent Institute of Government at the University of Georgia.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Although that would be cool, I have given up on that and would now prefer a city of Brookhaven. I think the only hope for Atlanta getting a chunk of DeKalb is to go for the unincorporated "island" that will be created in between Decatur/Avondale on the south and Brookhaven/Chamblee/Doraville on the north.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:41 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Seems like the Atlanta region is slowly Balkanizing. Can't wait for Milton County.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Although that would be cool, I have given up on that and would now prefer a city of Brookhaven. I think the only hope for Atlanta getting a chunk of DeKalb is to go for the unincorporated "island" that will be created in between Decatur/Avondale on the south and Brookhaven/Chamblee/Doraville on the north.
Wouldn't those folks would be more inclined to ally with Brookhaven/Chamblee/Doraville? What would they gain by agreeing to be annexed by Atlanta? Their taxes would go up, they'd become responsible for Atlanta's crushing pension obligations, they'd have to turn their excellent schools over to APS and they'd become subject to the powers that be in downtown Atlanta, who are not exactly known for extending a friendly ear or a helping hand to residents on the northside.

On the surface it doesn't sound like a particularly attractive package.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta