Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 10:06 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,267,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyFootballGuy View Post
I have heard a lot of people say that Atlanta is the New York of the South and that Atlanta has a New York vibe to it.
Are you sure they weren't saying Newark?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 10:18 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,578,817 times
I guess this thread is as ridiculous as the one asking "Is Atlanta the new Hollywood ?" The Atlanta boosters seem to revel in the art of self aggrandization and take it to the 9th. degree. Atlanta should build the world's largest mirror and attach it to the face of Stone Mountain so they can grovel and stare at themselves in pure vanity.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:32 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,977,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
The average person from the Orlando metro is much similar, culturally, to the average person of the Atlanta metro than the Miami metro, given the demographic situation.
The demographic situation of Orlando in no way reflects the culture of Atlanta. We were talking about which city does Orlando look to as a sphere of influence. Miami has a greater reach to Orlando in terms of overall culture of the city, and similarities. Miami has a bigger pull on Orlando and logically, why wouldn't it? I understand the whole North Florida ATL argument, but most of Florida below Jacksonville isn't sparsely populated enough(or close enough) to ATL to be influenced or pulled-in by it. Orlando is only a 1hr drive from Greater Tampa(3million people) and only 4rhs from Miami/South Florida(5.5million).

Last edited by polo89; 08-22-2011 at 11:47 PM..

Old 08-23-2011, 06:01 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,956,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
The demographic situation of Orlando in no way reflects the culture of Atlanta. We were talking about which city does Orlando look to as a sphere of influence. Miami has a greater reach to Orlando in terms of overall culture of the city, and similarities. Miami has a bigger pull on Orlando and logically, why wouldn't it? I understand the whole North Florida ATL argument, but most of Florida below Jacksonville isn't sparsely populated enough(or close enough) to ATL to be influenced or pulled-in by it. Orlando is only a 1hr drive from Greater Tampa(3million people) and only 4rhs from Miami/South Florida(5.5million).
Yeah it's pretty hard to imagine how a city like Orlando which has a very tropical Floridian vibe would more closely associate with the piedmont urbanity in Atlanta. Maybe if were just talking demographics, then metro Atlanta and metro Orlando might be closer pals, but I'm just talking about vibe, and culture, as dictated by the sphere of influence. We hear about Miami more, we go to Miami more (unless it's a connecting flight on Delta lol). I've lived in a small metro in SC and Atlanta was certainly the Alpha city that everyone referred to, even though I was much closer to Charlotte so I am not just equating Orlando's shorter distance to Miami as the reason. However, to me Atlanta is more Alpha to Charlotte than Miami is to Orlando. Come to think of it, because of Orlando being such a destination, it's hard to imagine having to go to any other city for any reason other than desire or if sent for work. Please don't list all the little things Miami and/or Atlanta has that Orlando doesn't cause I'll have a very long list where the opposite is correct. Orlando and Tampa together offer all major sports, some of the best entertainment options in the state, great museums, fantastic beaches and over 5 million people in the 2 metros alone, forget CSA's. So this mini debate about who CFL gravitates to culturally needs to come to an end, because Orlando truthfully is an anomaly among mid-sized metros, it has it's own identity (albeit a checkered one lol), it has it's own pull, and it's part of it's own region that is big enough to negate Miami or Atlanta being our alpha city in terms of influence of culture. That said, if I need a big city fix, I prefer Atlanta due to it's set up, it's PT, it's less laid back vibe than FL, but Miami is still the choice for the majority of people in CFL.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:22 AM

23,491 posts, read 44,156,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I guess this thread is as ridiculous as the one asking "Is Atlanta the new Hollywood ?" The Atlanta boosters seem to revel in the art of self aggrandization and take it to the 9th. degree. Atlanta should build the world's largest mirror and attach it to the face of Stone Mountain so they can grovel and stare at themselves in pure vanity.
Um, if you read a little closer, you'll see that the thread was originated by a Seattle resident.
The average Atlanta poster on here is far too busy defending the city against childish attacks like this to engage in any boosterism.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:57 AM

20,523 posts, read 33,590,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Agreed.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:58 AM

3,664 posts, read 3,948,139 times
Atlanta is the "New York of the South". It's the capital of the South, the big city of the Southeast, decadent, liberal, crowded, filled with infinite possibilities, where southern folk come to reinvent themselves, pursue their dreams, with the hustle and bustle of the Northeast's major cities while retaining the South's comfortable suburban aesthetic.

It's where surrounding state's residents come to party and sin. Enough strip clubs around for ya?

World class shopping, more wealth, more poverty, more crime, even a mafia and organized crime flourish here. Basically more extremes in society comprise our Gotham, setting Atlanta apart from the rest of the South. Such as one of the largest gay populations in the country. You won't find any 'gay ghetto" neighborhoods in the Carolinas, that's for sure, lol.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:01 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,990,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Atlanta is the "New York of the South". It's the capital of the South, the big city of the Southeast, decadent, liberal, crowded, filled with infinite possibilities, where southern folk come to reinvent themselves, pursue their dreams, with the hustle and bustle of the Northeast's major cities while retaining the South's comfortable suburban aesthetic.

It's where surrounding state's residents come to party and sin. Enough strip clubs around for ya?

World class shopping, more wealth, more poverty, more crime, even a mafia and organized crime flourish here. Basically more extremes in society comprise our Gotham, setting Atlanta apart from the rest of the South. Such as one of the largest gay populations in the country. You won't find any 'gay ghetto" neighborhoods in the Carolinas, that's for sure, lol.
dream on, dream on, dream until your dream comes true

Old 08-23-2011, 03:29 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,577,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyFootballGuy View Post
I have heard a lot of people say that Atlanta is the New York of the South and that Atlanta has a New York vibe to it. What do you guys think of that? Is it true or false in your opinion? Also, if Atlanta does have a New York feel to it and if Atlanta is the New York of the South, then would you say that is a good thing for Atlanta or a bad thing Atlanta?
NO! Atlanta is nothing like New York. Atlanta is Atlanta...its down south. The cost of living is different and the energy is different. Its both good and bad.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:38 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,577,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Take it out of context like this, and it sounds about as silly as this post. Atlanta was the poster child for the south, as NYC was the poster child for the US and NE. Oh look, something similar.. foolishness...
NOOOOOO

Mississippi is the poster child of The SOUTH. Atlanta less southern than Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta