Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2011, 08:04 AM

12 posts, read 41,396 times

Advertisements

Glad to see my thread more than flourished.

But anyways, I will definately check out that meet-up group. But wow at some of these comments so far, some are shockers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 10:11 AM

9 posts, read 27,724 times
Default Go West Young Lady

I came on this site to look for an inexpensive dry cleaner, but I just couldn't resist commenting on this thread. Yes, dating sucks in Atlanta - especially if you are an educated, successful woman. The odds are just not in our favor - there are more single women than men in this town. In fact, I went to a large singles event last Sunday night in midtown, and the ratio of women to men was about 5:1. I now know that if I am serious about finding a great man to spend my life with, I must consider moving to a city that supports that goal.

My advice to single women who are serious about wanting to find a great guy: move to where the men are. I have lived in other large cities, and I will attest that Atlanta has been the worst for dating. Go west, and you will see your dating life greatly improve. Don't keep wasting your time hoping that things will change. Don't be passive in living the life you want. If Atlanta doesn't support the type of life you want for yourself, find a city that does. And check the male/female ratio before moving......

Old 12-11-2011, 06:34 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,027,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanda123 View Post
I came on this site to look for an inexpensive dry cleaner, but I just couldn't resist commenting on this thread. Yes, dating sucks in Atlanta - especially if you are an educated, successful woman. The odds are just not in our favor - there are more single women than men in this town. In fact, I went to a large singles event last Sunday night in midtown, and the ratio of women to men was about 5:1. I now know that if I am serious about finding a great man to spend my life with, I must consider moving to a city that supports that goal.

My advice to single women who are serious about wanting to find a great guy: move to where the men are. I have lived in other large cities, and I will attest that Atlanta has been the worst for dating. Go west, and you will see your dating life greatly improve. Don't keep wasting your time hoping that things will change. Don't be passive in living the life you want. If Atlanta doesn't support the type of life you want for yourself, find a city that does. And check the male/female ratio before moving......
Atlanta metro has over 2.4 million men. If you cant find one to marry you then you may have to evaluate your life

Old 12-11-2011, 07:03 PM

36 posts, read 74,671 times
Quote:

You went to a "large singles event" in midtown on a "Sunday' (Assuming Football night) and expected a large turn out of guys... On what planet would that happen?

Guys search for women in clubs and 'occasionally' in bars, will we find a quality woman there... probably not but it's the truth. A bar is not a good dating scene and even men know this. Your more well rounded guy MAY go to a museum, the park, a wine tasting, etc but it's obviously not the general consensus.

Women go to single events and no "real men" or manly men would be caught dead in those places. How many guys do you think get together on any given weekend and say "Yeah we should really need to hit this singles event happening in Midtown on Sunday. You're usually going to find one of two things at those events: (1) People on there last leg of dating (2) People that have dated, been married and divorced, at least two times over.

There's a total disconnect between men and women and where to find each other here.

Last edited by Hellanta; 12-11-2011 at 07:13 PM..

Old 12-11-2011, 09:16 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,535,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellanta View Post
Guys search for women in clubs and 'occasionally' in bars, will we find a quality woman there... probably not but it's the truth. A bar is not a good dating scene and even men know this. Your more well rounded guy MAY go to a museum, the park, a wine tasting, etc but it's obviously not the general consensus.

There's a total disconnect between men and women and where to find each other here.
You might have a point here...

Finding a decent amount of attractive, single women is very hit-or-miss in this town. Sometimes I can go out and there are so many women it's almost impossible to choose. Other times I can go to the same places and it's me and the bros, so to speak.

Speaking of bars. I hit Virginia-Highland this weekend after a long time of pretty much avoiding it(honestly, it ain't my scene) and I must say the women-to-men ratio was noticeably in favor of the guys(more women then men). I think I'll be heading there more often now. I also think I have an edge because every other guy in Va-Hi is a "bro" or a "Chadwick" and I'm definitely not.

For the most part though, bars DO suck for meeting women. I actually prefer coffee shops because they are usually a little more laid back and there is less risk of getting a DUI on the way home from them. You have to pay attention to who is actually open to being approached in them though. A lot of women have their faces shoved in their textbooks and laptops the entire time. I'm all for the museum idea and I was a HUGE museum goer when I lived in NYC and more often than not, the places were loaded with women on the free admission/event nights. I just wish Atlanta had more and that they had more evening events on the weekend. Oh, and "suggested admission" would be nice too instead of having to drop $18 just to put yourself in an environment where you "may" meet people.

Parks? Meh... Our parks are like the city itself. Huge and spread out. Again I have to refer back to NYC which had a lot of really active small parks like Union Square, Washington Square, and Bryant Park that were close to businesses and residences. I wish Atlanta had at least one of those where people more or less just hung out reading or whatnot. Anyone who has been to any of those places can tell you that there is a big difference between them and somewhere like Piedmont Park. More people in a smaller space means more interaction.

I haven't tried a wine tasting. I'm not sure if the demographic I'm aiming for is at that stage yet. I have considered taking cooking classes or some other things that might be good investments in myself even if I'm not meeting anyone.

You know, I sometimes agree with the disconnect between men and women on where to find each other here. Like I said, it's hit or miss as well. You never can tell if/when folks are going to show up to most places around here.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:41 AM

9 posts, read 27,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Atlanta metro has over 2.4 million men. If you cant find one to marry you then you may have to evaluate your life
Yes, there are many men in Atlanta. Sadly, I am having a difficult time finding a non-attached, heterosexual, tall, ambitious, physically fit, kind, witty, educated, age-appropriate, adventurous man. And before you assume I am being too picky, I should note that I am also educated, tall and physically fit .... therefore I want a partner who I don't have to look down to (literally) and who will go biking and hiking with me.

Thanks to Hellanta, I now know that I am approaching this all wrong. I just have to be willing to step outside my comfort zone more often. I also have to get out and find the right places to meet the right men - and no more singles events!

Old 12-14-2011, 11:20 AM

864 posts, read 1,124,672 times
Quote:
Yes, there are many men in Atlanta. Sadly, I am having a difficult time finding a non-attached, heterosexual, tall, ambitious, physically fit, kind, witty, educated, age-appropriate, adventurous man. And before you assume I am being too picky, I should note that I am also educated, tall and physically fit .... therefore I want a partner who I don't have to look down to (literally) and who will go biking and hiking with me.

Thanks to Hellanta, I now know that I am approaching this all wrong. I just have to be willing to step outside my comfort zone more often. I also have to get out and find the right places to meet the right men - and no more singles events!
Post a picture of yourself or pm it to me.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:39 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,623,081 times
I wonder why online dating hasn't been more successful for y'all? I met my husband online as did several of my girlfriends. I think I read somewhere that something like 30% of marriages these days come from online dating. I like it because it's worldwide, you don't have to limit yourself to one area. For me that was stellar because I was living in a small town at the time.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:

I see your expectations. Let's see if u have the qualities men r looking for. Do u cook? Of so how.often? If both of you r looking will u cook dinner? Do u use sex as a weapon? Do u have kids? What do u.bring to the table?

Old 12-14-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I wonder why online dating hasn't been more successful for y'all? I met my husband online as did several of my girlfriends. I think I read somewhere that something like 30% of marriages these days come from online dating. I like it because it's worldwide, you don't have to limit yourself to one area. For me that was stellar because I was living in a small town at the time.
Online dating is working in the white community but not in the African American community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta