Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 07:28 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,712,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
So move back??

My sentiments exactly.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 08:10 AM

3,711 posts, read 5,990,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
Seems like a reasonable survey and results.
People seem to misinterpret the results to an amazing degree.

Think of it this way: if there was a survey of "who is your favorite baseball team" and "who is your least favorite baseball team", the New York Yankees would almost definitely come in first place for both. That's because people either love them or hate them.

The fact that Atlanta comes in #12 on least favorite and #15 on the favorite list (or whatever it is) is pretty meh. Not really horrible news or anything--just a reflection that a decent number of people both like and dislike the city. It's not good that the reputation seems to be falling.

However, I must say I am quite certain the city's image will be totally different in ten years. I think it's going to be the granola capital of the southeast (not as in the kind of granola you actually eat, obviously). People's perceptions are lagging behind a trend that is already well underway.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:13 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,103 times
Atlanta lost a large part of its luster when gas shot up and stayed relatively high. When the housing market crashed it took a lot of the rest with it. This city has lost more jobs than just about any other city in the past year.

Let's be honest. People weren't moving here because it was/is some spectacularly amazing place. They were moving here because it was cheap and there were plenty of jobs. That's not the case any more.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:30 PM

747 posts, read 1,544,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
People seem to misinterpret the results to an amazing degree.

Think of it this way: if there was a survey of "who is your favorite baseball team" and "who is your least favorite baseball team", the New York Yankees would almost definitely come in first place for both. That's because people either love them or hate them.

The fact that Atlanta comes in #12 on least favorite and #15 on the favorite list (or whatever it is) is pretty meh. Not really horrible news or anything--just a reflection that a decent number of people both like and dislike the city. It's not good that the reputation seems to be falling.

However, I must say I am quite certain the city's image will be totally different in ten years. I think it's going to be the granola capital of the southeast (not as in the kind of granola you actually eat, obviously). People's perceptions are lagging behind a trend that is already well underway.
I think it'll be hard to take that title out of Asheville's hands

Old 11-10-2011, 01:58 PM

864 posts, read 1,124,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Atlanta lost a large part of its luster when gas shot up and stayed relatively high. When the housing market crashed it took a lot of the rest with it. This city has lost more jobs than just about any other city in the past year.

Let's be honest. People weren't moving here because it was/is some spectacularly amazing place. They were moving here because it was cheap and there were plenty of jobs. That's not the case any more.
We are doomed lets all sit and sadness and sorrow.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:05 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,803,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
The people who are complaining don't want to change it. They just want b*tch pine over some other city, so just let them leave to that perfect city. They aren't going to make any effort to change it. Complainers don't actually make things "better".
AMEN!!Its people who look at things as even.Mostly optmistic but realistic view is what gets things changed.Too much negativity clouds the potential of what is instead of what could be.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:09 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,803,733 times
Quote:

So what defines a spectacularly amazing place in your view?Even cities that have a better economy at the moment do not particularly seem amazing to me either.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:27 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
We are doomed lets all sit and sadness and sorrow.
I don't know about you bro, but I'm literally just waiting on the call(letter? email?) to pack my bags and move on. I'm sorry you have to stay here, but keep up the good work of defending Atlanta from valid criticisms and ignoring the obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
So what defines a spectacularly amazing place in your view?Even cities that have a better economy at the moment do not particularly seem amazing to me either.
Honestly, there aren't a lot of spectacularly amazing places. By that I guess I mean a lot of things: stunning beauty, unique culture, etc. I never said Atlanta wasn't nice in some respects. It just isn't anything special. If it wasn't the closest reasonably large city to where I grew up(and where my family still lives) I doubt I'd have ended up here.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:15 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,370,188 times
Quote:
I don't know about you bro, but I'm literally just waiting on the call(letter? email?) to pack my bags and move on. I'm sorry you have to stay here, but keep up the good work of defending Atlanta from valid criticisms and ignoring the obvious.
Best thing I've read here in a loooong time. Just sorry it took so long.

Quote:
Honestly, there aren't a lot of spectacularly amazing places. By that I guess I mean a lot of things: stunning beauty, unique culture, etc. I never said Atlanta wasn't nice in some respects. It just isn't anything special. If it wasn't the closest reasonably large city to where I grew up(and where my family still lives) I doubt I'd have ended up here.
It's time to go out and realize the grass isn't always greener. Good luck with that.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:37 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,311,460 times
So many Negative Nancies on here. Atlanta has the potential to be totally worldclass; Seriously, it does.

The problem is...No one votes!!!!

And if they do, they only vote in the primaries and not the midterms.

Too much of the so-called "Silent majority" or the "moderates" want to just sit on their bums and unfortunately allow others to speak for them. And the people who do vote are the fanatical wackjobs who seem insistent that the Final Caliphate is gearing up to conquer them or the Dixiecrats who still can't accept that their grandads were righteously beaten to a pulp back in 1865.

Folks need to realize the ramifications of not voting. But of course, our stupid muthafriggin' corporate media won't step up to do the job of educating them on this tragic error in judgement.

Finally, you folks can "escape" Atlanta if you want to. But this nonsense is like a virus...it spreads all over the U.S.A. All we have to do is look at how Mayor Bloomberg has went all police-state on the Occupy Wall-Street protestors and it's fairly obvious that the money-changers have bought out everyone.

For myself, I'd rather deal with the devil known as the "southern strategy" in his home territory, the deepsouth.

If I can beat the devil here, I can beat him anywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta