Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 07:08 AM

668 posts, read 994,636 times

Advertisements

When my native Southern friends complain about all of us Yankees down here, I tell them if they didn't like it they should have won the war. It took over 100 years, but the Union occupation and settlement force has arrived. We've quietly assimilated into your land, jobs, and even families. Just wait til the Big 10 starts picking up your football recruits, too! That part of the plan has taken a bit longer than we had anticipated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 07:46 AM

538 posts, read 926,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
I sympathize with him, as I feel the same way. Non-southern transplants, at least from most areas of the country, are just different. A few would be okay, but when they're numbering in the thirty to fifty percent of your population, and outnumbering you in some areas, on your turf, there's something wrong about that.

Northern accents are downright annoying. Those from much of Ohio, Indiana, Maryland, southern Illinois, parts of Pennsylvania and Missouri are okay, but just about everywhere else, the tone of their speech sounds odd. It's either a nasally sounding shrill, or something that sounds overly snobby and pompous.
Exactly, the Midwestern accents aren't so bad....but is there anything worse than a female talking with a Jersey accent....Lord help us...
And you northerners need to understand that its not "pop" or a "soooda".....its a "Coke"....doesn't matter that the drink is another kind of carbonated beverage....its still a "Coke e.g. let's go in a get a "Coke"....you can still order a "Sprite" and its OK....

Old 11-12-2011, 09:16 AM

77 posts, read 199,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
When my native Southern friends complain about all of us Yankees down here, I tell them if they didn't like it they should have won the war. It took over 100 years, but the Union occupation and settlement force has arrived. We've quietly assimilated into your land, jobs, and even families. Just wait til the Big 10 starts picking up your football recruits, too! That part of the plan has taken a bit longer than we had anticipated...

LOL...I don't know about that. I remember that Iowa used to have a pipeline to Texas under former coach Hayden Fry and that coach Kirk Ferentz seems to pick up a number of recruits from the Baytown, TX. area (well, he did a few years ago). I think that the reverse is more likely: Midwestern HS transplants getting opportunities to play in the SEC staying in the region and playing. But with all of the conference mergers, perhaps there will eventually be a megaconference consisting of the former SEC and Big 10 (12 these days), so it'll be a moot point.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:18 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Northern accents are downright annoying. Those from much of Ohio, Indiana, Maryland, southern Illinois, parts of Pennsylvania and Missouri are okay, but just about everywhere else, the tone of their speech sounds odd. It's either a nasally sounding shrill, or something that sounds overly snobby and pompous.
I don't feel that way at all, and I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Southerner whose family has lived here for generations. But even by the 1950s we were pretty well integrated into the rest of the country. Here's a partial rundown of the kids on our street: the two brothers who lived next door had moved here from Brooklyn; my best friend was a native Pennsylvanian whose dad worked for GM and they'd transferred down from Detroit; the folks across the street were from Miami, the neighbors next to them were from New Jersey. Our next door neighbors on the other side were from LaGrange, but the family on the other side of them was from Chicago/Alabama. Overall I'd say we were about 35% native southerners and the rest had settled here from somewhere else.

We all watched the same TV shows as people in the rest of the country and read the same books. Some of our schoolteachers were locals but many had come from somewhere else. We watched the sames sports teams as kids in the rest of the country and heard the same announcers. We saw the same movies. Outside of a few local broadcasters like Aubrey Morris, the local newsmen sounded the same as they did anywhere else. The music we listened to and danced to came from all over.

A number of folks in my family wound up marrying people from different parts of the country and even different countries. In the service and in business I have routinely interacted with people from everywhere. A lot of us who grew up here have lived in other parts of the world and experienced life elsewhere.

So we grew up surrounded by more or less the same deluge of voices as Americans everywhere. No doubt we had a larger share of Southerners in the mix, but other accents and cultures were hardly foreign or unusual.

There are many things I treasure about the Southern experience and I guess that's why I gravitated back here. But I truly don't find anything irritating about the way folks talk.

I guess it's just a subjective thing.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:19 AM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
All I know is that too many dam! yankees have moved here in the last 30 years or so......completely changed the quality of life here.....when was the last time you let someone merge in traffic and they gave you a friendly wave in the mirror?....never happens anymore and it used to be the norm. Not to mention they're always talkin' about how much better everything is done "up north" and "back home"....to which I always respond "Delta is ready when you are".....
Especially with New Yorkers, they move to a lot places (including Atlanta) and complain about how those places are not like NYC, and how New York is so much better. If New York is that great, then why did they leave? smh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
They brought most if the crime and stds to Atlanta
Exactly why they should screen people moving into Georgia from other states, in the same manner as if they were moving from another country. Anyone with a criminal record should be denied entry into GA. If you look at the news, the majority of high-profile criminals are not native Georgians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW30303 View Post
I would guess by sheer number of American transplants in the ATL metro hail from New York, Ohio, Illinois, Florida and Michigan.
I've met a lot of people in Atlanta that are from Michigan. They tend to like Georgia because it's like a warmer version of MI.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:33 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
All I know is that too many dam! yankees have moved here in the last 30 years or so......completely changed the quality of life here.....when was the last time you let someone merge in traffic and they gave you a friendly wave in the mirror?....never happens anymore and it used to be the norm. Not to mention they're always talkin' about how much better everything is done "up north" and "back home"....to which I always respond "Delta is ready when you are".....
I remember early last decade, as information from the 2000 Census was being released, that seven of the top 10 states from which people relocated to Atlanta were other Southern states. In other words, most of Atlanta's migration surplus came from elsewhere in the South. I imagine the proportion became even larger for the 2010 Census, considering that the economy in Georgia decelerated while the economy of several Northern states -- most notably Massachusetts, New York and Pennsylvania -- accelerated.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:23 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
There are a TON of Michiganders down here. Met more of them than from other Midwestern/Northern states.

Lots of people here from the Carolinas, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and other parts of GA.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:12 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Especially with New Yorkers, they move to a lot places (including Atlanta) and complain about how those places are not like NYC, and how New York is so much better. If New York is that great, then why did they leave? smh

Exactly why they should screen people moving into Georgia from other states, in the same manner as if they were moving from another country. Anyone with a criminal record should be denied entry into GA. If you look at the news, the majority of high-profile criminals are not native Georgians.
I haven't known of many New Yorkers that complain about the south. There are some that miss being back north, but the majority I've come across choose here over there.

As for your take on the crime situation, I sure would LOVE to see some statistics to back THAT one up! I don't believe that for one second!

Old 11-13-2011, 05:56 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
Great snapback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post

Old 11-13-2011, 08:29 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
completely changed the quality of life here.....when was the last time you let someone merge in traffic and they gave you a friendly wave in the mirror?....never happens anymore and it used to be the norm.
Maybe people should spend more time concentrating on driving and being decisive, rather than worrying about whether someone waves or not.

How often I see people sitting and not making a turn when they can, or not going around someone making a turn, or letting someone in front of them go (who doesn't have right of way) while holding up the multiple drivers behind them.

Let's not even talk about the tailgating and southern driving style that I see in Atlanta and throughout the south. You're worried about someone waving? Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees.

Quote:
Not to mention they're always talkin' about how much better everything is done "up north" and "back home"....to which I always respond "Delta is ready when you are".....
I'm not one to be "always talking" about things up north, but yeah, I do think some things outside of GA are better. For example: Outside the south not wearing religion on your sleeve and being obsessively religious as here in GA and the south in general. For example: the southern obsession with small talk and meaningless things like waving to a driver (you care enough about it to post) which if not observed are considered as rude, as opposed to the substantive things like not wasting my time or driving safely and correctly. There are others.

There are many reasons I like living here and chose to move here, but it doesn't mean my brain shut off at the state line or I suddenly accept things that to me are silly or could be improved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta