Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 04:45 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,990,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Nope. I'm just saying DC and NYC have more talent. They're playing on a much more competitive field than blacks are playing on in the ATL. I think we need to encourage our children to reach the highest levels they can and not just settle for "good."

I'd say that this is a bit more impressive than...

U.S. UN Ambassador Susan Rice on Darfur - YouTube

This.

Herman 'clueless' Cain on Libya - YouTube
Oooh! Oooh! Me next! I wanna play!

I think this

Obama and Global Visions of America - Andrew Young - YouTube

is more impressive than this

Marion Barry Proclaims Innocence In CNN Interview (7.16.09) - YouTube

I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist a chance to make fun of Mr. "***** set me up" himself, LOL.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:46 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,747,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
I guess this discussion boils down to this; is it better to have a bunch of moderately successful blacks that are middle class or to have a few highly sucessful ones with the vast majority of the rest living in qualler(D.C.)?
Prince George's County is the wealthiest majority-black county in the nation. Yes, wealthier than Fulton County. And wealthier than Dekalb. Plus, you've got a lot of well-to-do blacks in Montgomery County, MD and Northern Virginia (which, on the whole, are far wealthier than anywhere in the Atlanta metro area).

Here are some more blacks in NY and DC doing it big.

Eric Holder on Meet The Press - May 9, 2010 - discusses Miranda and other pt 3 - YouTube

Ken Chennault of AmEx: Define Reality and Give Hope - YouTube

Johnson: Candidates for the times - YouTube

Old 12-02-2011, 05:01 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
When I think of Atlanta's connection with black culture, rappers and flashy cars are not what comes to mind.

I'm much more influenced by the many blacks in medicine, law, business and academia here. I know that's true everywhere, but to me that's the mark of genuine success and integration into our larger society.

I'm also counting on our black citizens to fund major civic initiatives in a big way. I want to see those $10 million gifts to things like the Beltline, the Shepherd Center, the High Museum and Piedmont Park rolling in. That's when you know you have arrived!

Checks gladly accepted.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:23 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,572,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
When I think of Atlanta's connection with black culture, rappers and flashy cars are not what comes to mind.

I'm much more influenced by the many blacks in medicine, law, business and academia here.

Thats because you live down in Atlanta. Blacks who dont live there and never been there have a totally different view of what Atlanta ACTUALLY is.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Nope. I'm just saying DC and NYC have more talent. They're playing on a much more competitive field than blacks are playing on in the ATL. I think we need to encourage our children to reach the highest levels they can and not just settle for "good."

I'd say that this is a bit more impressive than...

U.S. UN Ambassador Susan Rice on Darfur - YouTube

This.

Herman 'clueless' Cain on Libya - YouTube
Ive never been to DC yet, but they do seem very very smart up there. Maybe to smart for the vices that plague most of Black America? Im not sure again I have never lived there, but that is how things seem.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:38 PM

46 posts, read 79,336 times
First and foremost everybody needs to get their statistics right. The state of Georgia was the first amongst states with Black owned businesses with 20%. Maryland was second with 19.4%. Georgia should be first because it has a higher percentage of Blacks. D.C. as a city was first on the list by a large margin. So when adding D.C. and Maryland together the overall percentage becomes higher. Adding northern Virginia with it the percentage becomes even higher. Another fact is metro D.C. has the highest percentage of Blacks with a four year degree or higher recently passing San Jose, with a good margin over Atlanta. As a matter of fact the Research Triangle and Nashville also has a higher percentage of Black college graduates than Atlanta. I understand D.C. and the Research Triangle edge over Atlanta, but what I don't understand is how Nashville surpasses Atlanta. Another fact that is getting mixed up is the populations of the cities in discussion. New York by far has the most Blacks in their metro area.

New York City) CSA population: 3,700,000 MSA population 3,400,000
Washington D.C.) CSA population 2,300,000 MSA population 1,450,000
Atlanta) CSA population 1,750,000 MSA population 1,700,000
Chicago) CSA population 1,700,000 MSA population 1,650,000

Old 12-02-2011, 05:41 PM

369 posts, read 657,517 times
Quote:
This is doing it BIG. When you're managing sovereign wealth funds in the hundreds of billions at Lazard, you're doing it big. When you're on the Board for the Guggenheim as a black man in NYC, you're doing it big. When you're running the Carlyle Group, you're doing it big. The only guys making more money per annum are professional athletes, but unlike athletes, these guys won't be broke in five years. And their political influence is obviously much greater. We're talking about black people dealing with trillions of dollars in global capital flows here. Not Little Caesar's Pizza. Not a construction business that owes its entire existence to minority contracts and government largesse.

Take a look at this list. "Wall Street" just means blacks in the industry. I don't see any Atlantans on here.

75 Most Powerful Blacks on Wall Street - Black Enterprise

Here's one bio:

No. You can just become a CEO like E. Stanley O'Neal and run the world's largest investment bank. Or become an equity partner at a Wall Street firm where you share the profits and get a vote on the management committee. I'd say that's better than running a small potatoes shop in Alpharetta, Georgia.
I have to honestly say I'm not that impressed (except for Kenneth C. Frazier since he is CEO and that is a rare industry for Blacks), no matter how you cut it they are working for somebody else. I often wonder what they did to get to their position, it can't be all about intellect.

This just speaks to the whole individual instead of the group issue I have with D.C. I don't think it's any better than the guy working at Home Depots corporate office they just get paid more depending on what position they are in.

I'd be far more impressed if they started their own asset management firm or investment bank. What would be even better is if they started youth programs based on teaching that.

Seriously though what is so wrong about working at Home Depots corporate office? What if they have a top management position.They are a large fortune 500 company larger than the largest in the D.C. area and that's not even the largest in Atlanta.

Also alot of the people from your wikipedia list are mixed, half white or could pass as white, I'm pretty sure that played a part.

Last edited by readyset; 12-02-2011 at 06:07 PM..

Old 12-02-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I wish you would put my overall statement, so I know what you taught was cool.
Your statement was Atlanta gets a lot of of love from Black Media...I agree with that.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:45 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanti View Post
First and foremost everybody needs to get their statistics right. The state of Georgia was the first amongst states with Black owned businesses with 20%. Maryland was second with 19.4%. Georgia should be first because it has a higher percentage of Blacks. D.C. as a city was first on the list by a large margin. So when adding D.C. and Maryland together the overall percentage becomes higher. Adding northern Virginia with it the percentage becomes even higher. Another fact is metro D.C. has the highest percentage of Blacks with a four year degree or higher recently passing San Jose, with a good margin over Atlanta. As a matter of fact the Research Triangle and Nashville also has a higher percentage of Black college graduates than Atlanta. I understand D.C. and the Research Triangle edge over Atlanta, but what I don't understand is how Nashville surpasses Atlanta. Another fact that is getting mixed up is the populations of the cities in discussion. New York by far has the most Blacks in their metro area.
The ATL may not be the epicenter of the universe for blacks but in general it's a reasonably good place.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:00 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
When I think of Atlanta I think of scrip cubs, shawwty, what my name iz, gold teeth, what time it iz, case quarter, krunk, baa ball games, go scrait (don't turn), rappers with no lyrical skills, colleg pahk, Bankhead, waffle house and skyscrapers a far distance from each other....lol.

Just kidding....kind of...that was for tonygeorgia.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 12-02-2011 at 06:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta