Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 03:43 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,198,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Well, I guess you could argue the same people who insist on having some Atheist decree set up next to a Christmas Tree on public property.

It's not a symbol of the season, unlike they ones that have been around forever, they just feel they need to make sure it out there.

I didn't see many Atheist displays in my n-hood, but in some places, they make sure they're displayed next to a Christmas tree.

Again, pro or con sticker doesn't matter to me, just feel that we pay these type of b/s fees every where and $1 is far less than the norm
Nope...you're mixing apples and oranges. Now, I'm not the type who has an issue with a Christmas tree or saying Merry Christmas, unless and until that is the only allowed holiday celebration on public property. I don't particularly care for manger scenes but again, as long as it's one of a group, then no problem.

Having said all of that, having the gov't be NEUTRAL is not the same thing as having the gov't take sides. That's the point that you and others miss. Why is it necessary for the gov't, or a school system, or any public institution paid for by taxpayers to setup any holiday celebration?

Why can't churches, private schools, private homes, private businesses, and other non-governmental entities celebrate their holidays and their religions to the utmost, and not involve gov't.? That goes to my point that some people do it to push their perceived political power. By shoving religion at you, they are saying...."We are powerful and we can force you to see and do things as we please."

That to me is the driver behind the license plate thing in GA. It's a group of politicians who want to show they are powerful and can do something that others they perceive as their political opponents don't like. That's fne, until the majority is muslim, or jewish, or hindu, or another group that you or others don't agree with or like. If the gov't just stays NEUTRAL, then they take no sides and play no favorites. We all just worship or not, as we please. It's a private matter, and thats' the whole point.

And again...why do you or anyone else feel the need to wear god on your car bumper? Please explain that need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 03:51 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,683,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
And again...why do you or anyone else feel the need to wear god on your car bumper? Please explain that need.
I don't feel the need and don't have the sticker and will not have it, I have a GT tag. And the govt. charged me an extra $10 this year for it this year even though I've had it for 6 years.

However, I don't want my tax money going towards things they shove down my throat as you don't. But it's life, and it happens everywhere.

I'm just pointing out to all the non-pro God peeps freaking out over a $1 and govt. intervention that every 2 weeks there's a large chunk of the 33% taken out of my pay check going towards govt. intervention that I don't support.

Not to mention all the other fees we pay day to day

Old 01-05-2012, 04:28 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,311,939 times
Gods, Guns, and Gay-bashing...Gotta love the Christian Conservatives here in the south.

They hate welfare, but they will shove their self-professed love for God & Jesus Christ down your throat...even as their fellow man is losing his/her job and are being tossed out in the street.

Someone please tell me: How is this attitude is any different from attitudes commonly displayed by Far-right Conservative Muslims in the middle east?

Old 01-05-2012, 04:34 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,232,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyte3k View Post
Article: Georgia lawmakers want "In God We Trust" on car tags - Atlanta Business Chronicle

One of the reasons why living in the Bible-belt sucks. Georgia has many more issues to be worried about than appeasing the religious folks out there.

So they want 'In God We Trust' standard, while making it a fee to have the county label? Not sure how many times I'll get pulled over by police, but I will refuse to display that motto, and will NOT PAY for a county tag. I think I'll place my own motto over the default one, or simply put a black sticker over it.

Perhaps the next wildlife tags will be immune to this nonsense? :/

It's a non-issue. Right up there with Christmas Trees and nativity scenes....let it go...we all have to endure things we don't like either (City of Atlanta actually holding meetings and spending money on renaming streets....of ALL the things to worry about....sigh....).....I believe you have the right to definitely voice your opinion, however, others have the right to voice theirs....too you know.....and the majority usually wins.....

The good news is that it is not that big a deal....so someone adds that to a license plate that you never read but once a year to add a decal/tax to? Juuuuuuuuuust not that big a deal....

Can I get an Amen?

Old 01-05-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Gods, Guns, and Gay-bashing...Gotta love the Christian Conservatives here in the south.

They hate welfare, but they will shove their self-professed love for God & Jesus Christ down your throat...even as their fellow man is losing his/her job and are being tossed out in the street.

Someone please tell me: How is this attitude is any different from attitudes commonly displayed by Far-right Conservative Muslims in the middle east?
Yep, every day I leave the burbs and head downtown, that's all I see, we're so crazy down here.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Can I get an Amen?
amen

Old 01-05-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post

Well, religious fundamentalism is the same, no matter which religion. That's kind of the point.

I don't hear you necessarily making this point, but at times people automatically associate political "conservative" and especially the Tea Party with religious conservatives. The two are not one and the same.

Some conservatives are religious, but that's more a factor in the south and some other places like the midwest (think Iowa). It's less of a factor somewhere like NH, where Mitt Romney is way ahead. So please keep in mind that "conservative" does not equal religious. I'm a perfect example of what would be a New England/northeast conservative....fiscally conservative, libertarian leaning, but socially liberal and either secular or privately religious.

The same would be true for west coast conservatives. Think Arnold and John McCain, and others like them that are not rabidly religious, and are socially liberal, but believe in fiscal responsibility and national defense.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:41 PM

465 posts, read 474,498 times
Can I get "in Angie Dickinson I trust" on mine? She was hot.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:22 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,161,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Ah, but once you allow something, you set a dangerous precedent. Where do you draw the line? $2? $5? $100?

Besides, the issue isn't the cost. It's the fact that the addition of the slogan in the first place is arguably a violation of federal law.

If the state doesn't think so, they can certainly add it as proposed, but given the reaction here I suspect there will be counteractions taken.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Indiana has an "In God We Trust" tag.
Well I guess that makes it OK then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Nope...you're mixing apples and oranges. Now, I'm not the type who has an issue with a Christmas tree or saying Merry Christmas, unless and until that is the only allowed holiday celebration on public property. I don't particularly care for manger scenes but again, as long as it's one of a group, then no problem.

Having said all of that, having the gov't be NEUTRAL is not the same thing as having the gov't take sides. That's the point that you and others miss. Why is it necessary for the gov't, or a school system, or any public institution paid for by taxpayers to setup any holiday celebration?

Why can't churches, private schools, private homes, private businesses, and other non-governmental entities celebrate their holidays and their religions to the utmost, and not involve gov't.? That goes to my point that some people do it to push their perceived political power. By shoving religion at you, they are saying...."We are powerful and we can force you to see and do things as we please."

That to me is the driver behind the license plate thing in GA. It's a group of politicians who want to show they are powerful and can do something that others they perceive as their political opponents don't like. That's fne, until the majority is muslim, or jewish, or hindu, or another group that you or others don't agree with or like. If the gov't just stays NEUTRAL, then they take no sides and play no favorites. We all just worship or not, as we please. It's a private matter, and thats' the whole point.

"You must spread some more Reputation around before giving it to Neal again."

Old 01-06-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
I don't feel the need and don't have the sticker and will not have it, I have a GT tag.
Not asking you specifically, but folks at large. Maybe it's even a rhetorical question, but I really want someone to step up and explain the merits of this license plate proposal to me. Why is it necessary and a good idea to have "In God We Trust" on my license plate?

I'm open to understanding the important public interest here, so please....someone help me out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta