Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 01:34 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtaddshp View Post
wouldnt the state and county putting religious tags on license plates be in violation of "Separation of Church and State"?
See the Aronow v. United_States ruling from the federal court. I disagree with the logic of the court, but it's the law of the land for now. Kind of difficult to get your head around the statement that "the "primary purpose of the slogan was secular."

Aronow v. United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 01:42 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,410,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtaddshp View Post
wouldnt the state and county putting religious tags on license plates be in violation of "Separation of Church and State"?
It would if it were mandated. I guess the argument is that this is optional, you can request it if you want it, so it's an expression of the individual's beliefs and not the state's.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:38 PM

126 posts, read 81,050 times
Keep it out of government. Our constitution doesn't mention god...once.

Last edited by Rationalism; 06-19-2012 at 10:47 PM..

Old 06-19-2012, 10:58 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
I was raised Catholic and went to parochial school. We were taught that the most Jesus-like thing you can do is love your fellow neighbor, and shoving your religious beliefs onto others was rude. It amazes me how Protestants don't seem to share those ideals.
LOL.Are you serious?You mean like the Catholic church weighing in on everything to abortion and gay marriage?oMG!!How one sided you are!!Individual Catholics may not say much but having a "Head of State" supported by tithes and offerings worldwide to pay for lawyers and lobbyist in every country seems to be much more powerfull

Old 06-20-2012, 03:30 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,945 times
Is this the only religious bumper sticker being offered? Or do we also get an "In Mohammed I Trust" option? What about "In Buddha We Trust"? No? Then it's unconstitutional, period. Why do some Christians who claim to have the have the strongest faith turn out, in practice, to really have some of the weakest faith?

Old 07-31-2012, 08:02 AM

242 posts, read 465,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
I like the county name, but I also like having "IN GOD WE TRUST".

Why would anyone not want to trust in God?
There are those who do not believe in mythology.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:25 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,085 times
Tags should be functional. Having the county on the tag is practical and useful. Removing it is not.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:02 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
You can't let the government sticking its big snout into religious matters. If somebody wants to cover their car up with "In God we trust stickers" they are free to do so. However, that's not a function of government.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:14 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,497 times
I always found it ironic that otherwise anti-government conservatives are eager to plaster the federal government's official motto everywhere they possibly can. I don't personally believe in magic or supernatural beings, but I just chalk it up to the government's long tradition of "ceremonial deism" and try not to get bent out of shape over it.

They should earmark the $1.00 fee to have it off for science education.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:04 PM

284 posts, read 590,585 times
I don't understand why some tags have a county sticker, and others don't (such as specialty tags)...and apparently the county isn't even needed on the standard tags if you can buy this sticker. I'd rather leave the stickers off if not needed. especially on the new tags-- the white sticker is very ugly against the color plate, and you can barely read the county from more than a few carlengths away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta