Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2012, 02:23 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,163,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The Beltline will be a success even if we never get beyond the trails and parks stage.
Cuz?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 02:33 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,970,277 times
Quote:
Not many important destinations. It's based on where the tracks are rather than where we'd want them to be.
Wtf? Let me list the stops:
Lindbergh, Ansley Mall, PIEDMONT PARK, North Ave Station, Ponce City Market, Freedom Park, Downtown streetcar at O4W, Inman Park MARTA station, Memorial Drive, Glenwood, Peoplestown, Red-Gold Line south of West End, Blue Line at Ashby station, Green Line at new infill station, West Midtown, Georgia Tech, Atlantic Station, Piedmont Hospital, Midtown.
Those don't seem like important place? Where would like them to be, at your doorstep? This uses existing railroad ROW to cut down on cost, what's better than that? The BeltLine connects at least 40 neighborhoods.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:17 PM

969 posts, read 1,964,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Or it could go down as the biggest waste of money. The Beltline doesn't have many destination points and its success is predicated on the development it's supposed to spur.
It connects 45 city neighborhoods to each other and to MARTA, has 1,500 volunteers and a list of about 20,000 people and growing who sign up for communications through Twitter, Facebook or mail. There is a lot of support in the city for this project and many people are excited about it. Just looking at the plans, it's hard to imagine it being a huge a waste of money and a failure.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:40 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,971,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
All the project selected will be completed within 10 years, that's why the rail-based line to Cobb was removed because it could not get done in 10 years, so instead the large project s like these are broken up over a couple TSPLOST in hopes that the first gets passed then the second. Unlike the 400 tool, the TSPLOST cannot be renewed without the voters passing a new tax!
Secondly the BeltLine, it is a very important project to the entire area. It will move people around the urban core. Always hear people say MARTA doesn't go here or there in Atlanta, well the BeltLine will bring those areas within rail-based transit. It is a way for people to transfer from one side to antoher without having to go downtown. Once built we will all look back and see how important this project is. It will go down in history as one of the most important transit projects in the nation, something that has never been done before in America, a rail-based ring around an urban-core? NYC, Chicago, DC, or Boston doesn't have one.
The I-75 toll road project was decided upon in 2005. In 2012 absolutely nothing had been done.

The GA400 to I-85N ramp was funded 2 years ago when the 400 Buckhead segment was paid off. Nothing has been done.

I swear, nothing would make me happier than to be able to go to the GDOT and find out why they're the most inept DOT in the country.

I recently drove to Miami from Atlanta, and Georgia's highways are a huge embarassment. As soon as I crossed the Florida line, every inch of highway all the way to Miami was beautiful and smooth as silk.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:00 PM
bu2

24,182 posts, read 15,032,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The Beltline will be a success even if we never get beyond the trails and parks stage.

The Beltline will be a bigger success if they divorce the rail idea from the trails and parks idea.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:02 PM
bu2

24,182 posts, read 15,032,389 times
Quote:
Quote:
Lindbergh, Ansley Mall, PIEDMONT PARK, North Ave Station, Ponce City Market, Freedom Park, Downtown streetcar at O4W, Inman Park MARTA station, Memorial Drive, Glenwood, Peoplestown, Red-Gold Line south of West End, Blue Line at Ashby station, Green Line at new infill station, West Midtown, Georgia Tech, Atlantic Station, Piedmont Hospital, Midtown.
Those don't seem like important place? Where would like them to be, at your doorstep? This uses existing railroad ROW to cut down on cost, what's better than that? The BeltLine connects at least 40 neighborhoods.

It connects mostly single family neighborhoods and places MARTA already serves. And it takes out valuable traffic lanes (east-west roads are at a premium in central Atlanta) to get downtown.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
It connects 45 city neighborhoods to each other and to MARTA, has 1,500 volunteers and a list of about 20,000 people and growing who sign up for communications through Twitter, Facebook or mail. There is a lot of support in the city for this project and many people are excited about it. Just looking at the plans, it's hard to imagine it being a huge a waste of money and a failure.
So how are these neighborhoods unconnected without a rambling metal box rolling by? Are they really presently disconnected? I don't care how many people are excited, I'm more interested in how practical it is for the money.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I dont' think it connects with North Avenue Station or even Georgia Tech.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:37 PM

969 posts, read 1,964,589 times
Quote:
I dont' think it connects with North Avenue Station or even Georgia Tech.
Yes it does, but maybe you haven't seen the new plans... it's not just a loop anymore. The plan is to connect it to the streetcar currently under construction and go across North Avenue from Ponce City Market (old City Hall East), past the North Avenue MARTA Station, and through GA Tech. It will then reconnect with the loop portion past Tech. They are also considering a spur down 17th Street to Arts Center Station in Midtown.

The North Avenue spur and the streetcar connection are part of the TPLOST project list...

Transportation Investment Act (http://www.beltline.org/Funding/TransportationInvestmentAct/tabid/4138/Default.aspx - broken link)

Old 02-28-2012, 10:06 PM

8,491 posts, read 15,060,927 times
Quote:
I'm not sure it will save time, and besides, light rail is slower than heavy rail.
Why aren't you sure it won't save time (unless you are playing devils advocate)?

The speed thing is a non-issue. Light rail is slower than Heavy rail, but not by much and the difference between the is more in the rolling stock and technology used rather than speed. An advantage for the Beltline though is that it hits street level at few points, thus automobile traffic won't be a factor in slowing down service.

It will also remove the need to travel all the way Downtown on the Redline to reach the Blue line and points in between.

Quote:
Not many important destinations. It's based on where the tracks are rather than where we'd want them to be.
Ok, how about you be more specific. As other have already chimed in, the Beltline cuts through 45 different neighborhoods. It also intersect with the exisitng MARTA network in several locations thus adding additional rail transit options in neighborhoods where it already exists. What that means is that almost every single neighborhood in the city proper will eventually have a Beltline stop and/or a MARTA stop.

Again, which neighborhood or district gets neither aside from EAV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta