Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 04:27 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,648,983 times

Advertisements

I think this is a positive move for Atlanta. If you all can't afford the shops or simply don't like it, metro Atlanta has other areas for you to visit and shop (Atlantic Station, Malls, strip Malls).

I believe some of you just like to complain. If they would have put in shops for us common folks, then you all would start complaining that Buckhead would turn "ghetto" or the whole area would go downhill. Be glad something is being done to that area because it has sat stagnant for a couple of years....... Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 04:50 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,920,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
I think this is a positive move for Atlanta. If you all can't afford the shops or simply don't like it, metro Atlanta has other areas for you to visit and shop (Atlantic Station, Malls, strip Malls).

I believe some of you just like to complain. If they would have put in shops for us common folks, then you all would start complaining that Buckhead would turn "ghetto" or the whole area would go downhill. Be glad something is being done to that area because it has sat stagnant for a couple of years....... Just my opinion.
Its the same girls complaining day after day.. You need to just let them complain.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:52 PM

9,007 posts, read 14,090,950 times
I think a lot of it has to do with the somewhat hallowed ground they are building it on.

I mean, if the city of Orlando shoved out Disneyworld and then built something else where Disney used to be, it wouldn't matter how great it was....you'd still have a little resentment that it wasn't Disneyworld.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:54 PM

32,035 posts, read 36,886,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
You are on to something...my vision would be to 'split' Peachtree around Rumson and bring it back together around Mathieson. In between would be a large park, the centerpiece of which might be a world-class series of fountains...something that we could point to and say, "This belongs to Atlanta and no other city".
LD, I've read about plans to reconfigure the streets in that area. Taking it all the way down to Rumson would be awesome.

BuckheadView: Buckhead CID wants more traffic data before taking Peachtree/Roswell intersection proposals to the public

Old 04-25-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with the somewhat hallowed ground they are building it on.
It's hard to think of anything in Atlanta more sacred than places like Mako's and World Bar. Some of those establishments had been around six or seven years.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:57 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,389,910 times
Why not use the space for some bars and nightclubs?

It's worked there in the past.

They can build a big parking garage and have bars and nightclubs underneath it. That's my idea. It solves two major problems. Parking and nightlife.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:03 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,151,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post

But they didn't have to do anything. It was just fine as it was. It was a place with character and life. It was the nightlife place of Atlanta.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:10 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,034,955 times
I wonder what will be built at the old ESPN Zone and Cheesecake Factory

Old 04-25-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
It was a place with character and life. It was the nightlife place of Atlanta.
Unfortunately it had also turned into a center for murder, drug dealing, massive trashing and cruising, drive-bys, stabbings and other assorted mayhem. Enforcement was beefed up several times but ultimately the rowdies shut it down.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:28 PM

9,007 posts, read 14,090,950 times
Quote:
Unfortunately it had also turned into a center for murder, drug dealing, massive trashing and cruising, drive-bys, stabbings and other assorted mayhem. Enforcement was beefed up several times but ultimately the rowdies shut it down.
That's absolute BS. APD was NEVER serious about trying to beef up enforcement. Buckhead Village had 12 police officers assigned to it. THOUSANDS of partiers, and TWELVE officers. Thats is NOT beefed up.

New Orleans figured out how to control the French Quarter. New York controls Times Square. Tampa controls Ybor City. If you really think that APD couldn't control Buckhead Village, you are insane.

They wanted it shut down so they could prop up their own development, Underground. I don't think they ever dreamed that people would rather simply not go out at all than go to Underground, but that's the way it played out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta