Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 12:32 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,074,029 times

Advertisements

You guys are probably right.

I think the biggest hype around Smyrna has been what people envision and hope it is someday as opposed to what it is right now.

I moved to Buckhead (which was actually north Buckhead....not quite Brookhaven, but I was in 30319) in 2002. I remember one day I drove back on one of the roads near Oglethorpe and went back a bit. I couldn't believe what I saw! There were some houses and folks back there that would have fit in perfectly in Vine City or Bankhead. I just thought that Brookhaven had ALWAYS been a nice neighborhood, I didn't realize that it had updated from more of a working class past.

So maybe if Smyrna plays its cards right, it can achieve the same thing some day. I just don't see it in anything less than 20 years, maybe 30. I'm not sure how long it took Brookhaven, but you can still find pockets of blight, which was shocking to me at the time. I assume those pockets are still there given the real estate bust, but I wouldn't count on them remaining much longer.

BTW, the "Sminings" moniker has been around for at least 15 years. I attributed it to people in Smyrna trying to fudge their address and get closer to a more desirable neighborhood. But that's just me, I draw borders in my own head! For example, if you live north of N. Druid Hills, you can't say you are in Buckhead no matter how much you want. If you live south of Ponce, you can say you live in "Poncey Highlands" all you want, but you're just trying to capitalize off Virginia Highlands good name. I live in Duluth extremely close to the river, but I don't say I live in "Creeky Gwinnett" trying to pretend I am in Johns Creek. It would be more desirable, for sure, but I ain't no matter how much I want to market it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 01:23 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,311,305 times
I doubt I ever would have set foot in Smyrna if Atlanta Pro Percussion wasn't there.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:28 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,106,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I doubt I ever would have set foot in Smyrna if Atlanta Pro Percussion wasn't there.
DaVinci's and Blue Moon Pizza are another two good reasons to go there. Oh, and Bella's Pizzeria. Don't remember if Jet's is in Smyrna or not.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:33 PM

188 posts, read 297,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunwoodyPanhandle View Post
I can't believe people compare Smyrna to Brookhaven. Smyrna is in the same league as Tucker, which puts it in a league above Doraville and a league below Northlake.
You must live in Clayton County because whatever you're smoking is strong stuff.

Smyrna is a league ahead of Brookhaven when you look at the neighborhoods along Atlanta Rd (the heart of Smyrna), especially the "Smynings" (Smyrna bordering Vinings) areas where Atlanta Rd intersects with Paces Ferry and Cumberland Blvd. Publix has its #1 and #3 branches in the Smyrna/Vinings area. This is indisputable. Single women feel comfortable enough to walk alone at night along Paces Ferry and Atlanta Rd., even at midnight. Most communities there are NOT gated because there aren't any safety concerns. On the other hand, women have learned to avoid late night walks alone in Brookhaven near MARTA or Lenox. The risk is on-par with Georgia Tech (pepper spray recommended).

Are there sketchy areas in Smyrna? Yes, specifically the Smyrietta (Smyrna bordering Marietta) areas near Windy Hill Rd. There's a huge difference between southeast Smyrna and northwest Smyrna near Dobbins. You wouldn't put Druid Hills/Virginia Highlands in the same bucket as Old Fourth Ward, would you? There's a distinct difference... and yet the geographic area is even smaller than Smyrna. To paint all of Smyrna with a brush as wide as you did is irresponsible.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:32 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,778,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Atlanta Pro Percussion is a perfect example of a building that is old and ugly, yet the business is a destination spot and excellent reputation.

Sometime you have to take the good with the bad.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:51 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,311,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Atlanta Pro Percussion is a perfect example of a building that is old and ugly, yet the business is a destination spot and excellent reputation.

Sometime you have to take the good with the bad.
That building has always been ugly. It was ugly the day it was built. It's almost as if the architect intended to design an ugly building. There's no way it's ugliness is just a matter of tastes changing.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:53 PM

194 posts, read 317,722 times
Perhaps a developer could raze that old strip mall (and several ugly buildings around it), and
Atlanta Pro Percussion and Dirt Cheap Music could find a location near each other in smyrna. There are many strip malls to choose from around town. Maybe the old kroger strip mall on the corner concord/south cobb?

Old 03-03-2012, 07:22 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,778,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo radley View Post
Perhaps a developer could raze that old strip mall (and several ugly buildings around it), and
Atlanta Pro Percussion and Dirt Cheap Music could find a location near each other in smyrna. There are many strip malls to choose from around town. Maybe the old kroger strip mall on the corner concord/south cobb?
FYI - Atlanta Pro Percussion owns the building. If the new Race Trac every gets built in front of it, that may be a game changer for that property.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:48 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,875,252 times
I love Smyrna, funny name and all.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:24 PM

32,033 posts, read 36,837,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I love Smyrna, funny name and all.
Smyrna is a storied name. It was an ancient city when Isaac was still a gleam in Abraham's eye.

The young people tell me it's a happening place these days, just behind Decatur on the coolness scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta