Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 03:26 PM

10 posts, read 13,174 times

Advertisements

Live near all this and just wanted to throw my conjecture in as well,

Looks like the beltline is impacting everyone, there are people buying homes and planning commutes(bikers) as well as sites being developed near it as we speak, and it's not even really accessible right now.

I know the area the street car will service, seems like it might move some GSU students and bums around, but I don't think it is going to have the bang that will make life great. They could have connected buckhead station to lindberg station with a light rail down peachtree and that would have been better in my opinion. Or up centerlane of 75 maybe? Most people who actually need to go downtown take marta or drive already.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:08 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
No, I know from past experience (talking to coworkers) here in my office in the Cumberland area that the disruptions that can really screw up downtown seem to only impact a few of them unless they are heading in fairly specific directions ... normally downtown via 75 or towards 400 on 285.

Most of them don't. They're heading north, NW, west, or south after work.

Anecdotal evidence, to be sure, but not game playing.
I offer this thought experiment as a counterposition: What would happen to the I-75 traffic through Cobb if the traffic from downtown completely went away? Wouldn't that significantly ease the remaining traffic? And wouldn't that remove at least some of the daily backlog on 285?

Old 03-24-2012, 05:20 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
I offer this thought experiment as a counterposition: What would happen to the I-75 traffic through Cobb if the traffic from downtown completely went away? Wouldn't that significantly ease the remaining traffic? And wouldn't that remove at least some of the daily backlog on 285?
The morning I-75 traffic through Cobb is largely coming southbound and then heading east on 285, with smaller feeds going south on 285 and on 75, while the evening traffic is the reverse. Not sure how much commuter traffic to/from downtown would impact that.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
The morning I-75 traffic through Cobb is largely coming southbound and then heading east on 285, with smaller feeds going south on 285 and on 75, while the evening traffic is the reverse. Not sure how much commuter traffic to/from downtown would impact that.
Really? Three lanes from 75 combine with four lanes from 285. That's nearly half your lane flow right there. If the percentage of traffic going north into Cobb were coming overwhelmingly from 285, then there should almost never be a traffic jam north of the Cloverleaf, because four lanes of traffic would open up into seven.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:06 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Really? Three lanes from 75 combine with four lanes from 285. That's nearly half your lane flow right there. If the percentage of traffic going north into Cobb were coming overwhelmingly from 285, then there should almost never be a traffic jam north of the Cloverleaf, because four lanes of traffic would open up into seven.
Keep in mind that there are a LOT of exits on 75 southbound from the I-285 interchange including Cumberland (which is where many of my cow orkers get off 75). You were talking about traffic to/from downtown. I'm guessing most of the southbound I-75 traffic doesn't make it that far.

It's pure speculation, of course, without hard numbers from some source, and I have none at all.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind that there are a LOT of exits on 75 southbound from the I-285 interchange including Cumberland (which is where many of my cow orkers get off 75). You were talking about traffic to/from downtown. I'm guessing most of the southbound I-75 traffic doesn't make it that far.

It's pure speculation, of course, without hard numbers from some source, and I have none at all.
Mmh, I don't think all *that* many get off 75 between 285 and Midtown. Keep in mind that that's a grand total of five exits between those two points, and of those, I think only the Northside/Howell Mill exit gets a lot of traffic.

But either way, yeah, it all comes down to the numbers. Wish I knew where to get them...

Old 03-25-2012, 06:26 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Mmh, I don't think all *that* many get off 75 between 285 and Midtown. Keep in mind that that's a grand total of five exits between those two points, and of those, I think only the Northside/Howell Mill exit gets a lot of traffic.
This doesn't really have much to do with your point, but...

Moore's Mill actually has a substantial amount of traffic at rush hour. Mostly going south 75 from the west in the morning, and back in the evening (people from Westside, Bolton, Cobb Drive, East-West connector, etc. I regularly see it back up on Moore's Mill for 1/4 mile or more.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:14 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
The Atlanta Streetcar is being discussed in other threads - please do a simple search and add to those threads rather than create another one on this same topic - and please keep the ranting segment of it down, and constructively add to the discussion(s). Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta