Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 09:22 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,621,509 times

Advertisements

Apparently the president is very enthused with HSR, that might be why the mayor has expressed an interest as well. As I look at the map I think one thing is really fascinating. The distance between Savannah and Jacksonville is vey short, less than three hours. If Florida were to embrace a route between Jacksonville and Miami, that would be a beaut; relieve some of the insane traffic on 95 and serve as an alternate evacuation route into the interior in case of storms. Eventually the train could link all the way up the east coast. The terrain is not particularly arduous for the most part, and the interstate has already gone through. Obviously pie in the sky, but not as bad as some plans I've heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 09:54 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,418,644 times
Since the TSPLOST was defeated I would oppose this.

Reed is the mayor of Atlanta, which has far more pressing local transportation needs that are now not going to be funded anytime soon. We need to focus on those projects, not a super expensive train to Savannah.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:13 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
arjay - You need to consider a hybrid...
Very good advice, Ansley. That will definitely be my next choice. I need a vehicle big enough to haul around all these dogs and grandchildren but I am sure hybrids come in all sizes.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Good on ya for keeping the low mileage approach. DW and I have taken a hard look at the amount we drive and are working on consolidating trips, minimizing unnecessary 'shopping', etc. It all adds up! You're in a great position to keep a low-mileage vehicle, rather than panic and buy a gas-miser at the cost of new car payments. I know it's not all about dollars; but folks who trade a perfectly good vehicle and spend an extra $25K just to save $500/year in fuel cost...well, NOT my idea of a good time.
Yep, you really put a dent in your driving if you do a few basic things. One, live close to where you work, shop, go to school, etc. If you are near transit that is a great help too, even if you don't use it all the time. And I totally agree about being smart with shopping trips -- we try to set them up to get as much as possible accomplished in one swing. We also partner with friends and see if we can pick up things for them or let them come along with us.

The cab thing is something we started doing years ago when we got out for dinner. It's worth spending a few dollars to be safe and ensure that you don't have to worry about DUI. I can't imagine what it would be like to know that your behavior had harmed or even killed some innocent person.

Last edited by arjay57; 11-10-2012 at 12:34 PM..

Old 01-26-2013, 06:43 PM

I just saw this on CNN and it makes me think that maybe the US is just not a high speed rail country. If they can't do up north how can we ever hope to do it down here?

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Old 01-27-2013, 02:18 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
Flatter land, more space between stations?

Old 01-27-2013, 02:31 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,427,134 times
It appears the Mayor has been hanging out with Marion Barry and smoking the crack.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:52 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,532,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I just saw this on CNN and it makes me think that maybe the US is just not a high speed rail country. If they can't do up north how can we ever hope to do it down here?

Don't take the segment at face value. For one, the station they picked is the second to last stop for the train going Northbound, and the second stop Southbound. For two, the state of Vermont itself subsidizes the train. For three, it's one of the few trains offering long-distance amenities along the Northeast Corridor. For four, most of the travel on the train is between intermediate destinations, like Vermont to Springfield, and not the full 9 hours from Vermont to New York. The $50 million expenditure, for 28 minutes is pocket change compared to similar decrease in highway travel time, especially over a similar distance. I don't see anyone demanding intercity bus services to pick up their share of the cost for improvements.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:40 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
US High Speed Rail Map

Old 02-02-2013, 11:52 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,861,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

That was a botched report , number 1 that line is used by about 1500 a day and not 200. It was never a high speed rail project but part of the New England Intercity & Regional Master Plan which calls for upgrading and expanding 5,800 miles of track which will save on average 35mins on each line and up to 70 mins on some lines. That line isn't done being upgrade neither is Vermont in general which plans on spending another 470 million on Intercity and Regional upgrades , and making room for Electrification down the road which is very possible along the Vermonter line which would knock off about 2hrs off the current times with speeds of 125mph which by Northeastern standards is High Speed rail. 125mph+ is High Speed Rail for the Northeastern US , we have a few corridors which will be brought up to this speed by 2025 , Vermonter , Empire Corridor , Keystone line , Downstate line , Downeaster service and Berkshires line. The report also missed how they are currently upgrading the Northeast Corridor in CT , NY and NJ to speeds up to 170mph and 135mph in CT and NY.... Or the various New Locomotives and Newer cars along with station upgrades , signal upgrades , and bridge replacements that the High speed fund has brought....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta