Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 10:14 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Hmm, I don't remember me making an assumption that I was the only smart one on these boards. In fact, it's quite the opposite. Many people here have questioned my intelligence just as the poster I was replying to did.

It's not easy to get free rides these days and schools that gave free rides were small schools and schools I didn't want to attend because they weren't top schools or weren't in destinations I desired to live in.

Who gets free rides to schools like Duke? Very rarely anyone does because everyone who attends is already pretty intelligent.

GSU was the only school here I wanted to attend at the time. I didn't care for UGA or Tech, despite the fact that I'd easily have been able to get into both schools. I now have a it of regret seeing that I'm liking Tech's campus more and more and the proximity to Midtown, but oh well, the past is the past.

You're making a lot of assumptions about me despite the fact that you only know me through a few responses I've created on these boards. Please don't start trying to get personal with me. I don't know why posters have been doing this lately.

Not assumptions sweetie you created the monster u are on these boards. Where there is a will there is a way I could have went to University of Florida but I didn't I went to A HBCU where I got offered less money but I worked I had help from my family and I still managed to get the job done and there are many kids with that same story too. I wasn't going anywhere I knew I wasn't going to be happy. So just keep ranting honey you are just making your reputation on these boards worse. You don't have any balance to your post at all and the more you keep vomiting on these boards the more people are going to attack u for it.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:27 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Back to the subject at hand...Would putting more storefront windows and increasing police presence make a big difference, or do even more fundamental changes need to be instituted?

Old 01-02-2013, 10:48 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Hmm, I don't remember me making an assumption that I was the only smart one on these boards. In fact, it's quite the opposite. Many people here have questioned my intelligence just as the poster I was replying to did.
Thanks, I will take note of that.

However, I know a smart person like yourself can realize how one might see an implication between someone saying the only reason a smart person person would stay here is the HOPE, while a bunch of other people argue the opposite (therefore they must not be smart ones).

It isn't that I always disagree with you, but you overstate your case rather aggressively in ways that irk others opinions... even when you don't mean it. And yes... you do attract alot flak for that.

And Sean... cut the kid some slack. Higher education in Georgia is a phenomenal value and surely it can be understandable why someone would stay here for school despite being overall unhappy with the place.

Ant, I hope just hope aren't this pessimistic in person and can at least enjoy your time here, while you are here. Live it up and make the best of it... as so to say.

I travel rather extensively. It is hard for me overstate that actually. One thing I noticed is when I first got away I saw all these incredible places and was completely thrilled with them. Over time though the more I went back, the more I started seeing the problems too. They are always there and they do wear on you after awhile. The more times I come back home, the more I enjoy what is nice about it. It isn't that the same problems aren't present, but the more I see the value of the benefits out city actually has.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:02 PM

32,022 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I didn't do as well as I did in high school, took as many high level classes, earned 3 degrees from UGA in 7 years, and win top national awards for my research in my sub field to have someone tell me I only stayed in this state for the HOPE.
I guess I will never get over it but it makes me feel small and dumb when I hear about all the degrees and ultra high grades that people got. Fortunately you don't hear that much about it in everyday conversation, so it's easier to imagine that you're in there with the rest of them.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Back to the subject at hand...Would putting more storefront windows and increasing police presence make a big difference, or do even more fundamental changes need to be instituted?
I think more fundamental changes in the population and who travels where will have to shift to alter demand. (and is no small thing do to)

As someone else said (I forgot who), there are actually a decent amount of shop spaces to the central and southern part of downtown (the areas that didn't rebuilt by the massive walls of the trademarts, hotels, etc..). Many of them have since been painted dull, mundane colors with less character and are rather cheap shoestores, etc..

One issue I see for South Atlanta is the area isn't all that wealthy, but besides the West End Mall and Greenbriar all the way out 285 there isn't much retail for basics needs and services. What there is is a relatively good and cheap transit system to get people to Five Points.

The clientele doesn't have alot of expendable income (aka won't buy shoes as often), but they still need to buy shoes and there is probably a larger population supporting those stores...just less frequently.

Midtown, however, has the liveliness of people with more expendable income. People who can waste a little more money on going to a jazz lounge, a club, a bar, or a trendy theme restaurant.

Part of the problem is some populations need places to go for shopping near them, some populations detract others (fairly or not), there are transportation access problems the further south you go for the majority of the population that actually lives north, and old buildings are underinvested/maintained because of the prior problems.

I offer this area as an example https://maps.google.com/maps?q=atlan...2.06,,0,-15.03

There are shops, there is foot traffic, they are heavily used. They have character, but often are not well maintained, painted over (in some cases plastered over).

The streetscape of downtown use to look like these, even everywhere in the southern downtown where there are now asphalt parking lots https://maps.google.com/maps?q=atlan...340.27,,0,3.43

The problem is lack of demand for who is in the area or willing to travel into the area and the buildings decay (but some good bones are there if you look for it). Whereas other lots can probably make more money as parking lots for events and gov't workers.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I guess I will never get over it but it makes me feel small and dumb when I hear about all the degrees and ultra high grades that people got. Fortunately you don't hear that much about it in everyday conversation, so it's easier to imagine that you're in there with the rest of them.
At the end of the say, despite the importance of education, it is how you apply yourself and how much you're willing to carefully think something out.

Education just helps people get from point A to B faster, if they take it seriously.

As for me.. I got out of graduate school in 2008... I probably would have been better not going to graduate school (or at least delaying it), because of the timing of the recession.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:39 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Thanks, I will take note of that.

However, I know a smart person like yourself can realize how one might see an implication between someone saying the only reason a smart person person would stay here is the HOPE, while a bunch of other people argue the opposite (therefore they must not be smart ones).

It isn't that I always disagree with you, but you overstate your case rather aggressively in ways that irk others opinions... even when you don't mean it. And yes... you do attract alot flak for that.

And Sean... cut the kid some slack. Higher education in Georgia is a phenomenal value and surely it can be understandable why someone would stay here for school despite being overall unhappy with the place.

Ant, I hope just hope aren't this pessimistic in person and can at least enjoy your time here, while you are here. Live it up and make the best of it... as so to say.

I travel rather extensively. It is hard for me overstate that actually. One thing I noticed is when I first got away I saw all these incredible places and was completely thrilled with them. Over time though the more I went back, the more I started seeing the problems too. They are always there and they do wear on you after awhile. The more times I come back home, the more I enjoy what is nice about it. It isn't that the same problems aren't present, but the more I see the value of the benefits out city actually has.

Its hard to cut him some slack because he does this on a constant basis. I really dont like NY I hated being there when I had to do my interns there for Def jam but I didnt constantly bash the place on a daily. I just sucked it up and tried to enjoy what things I did find attractive about the city.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:29 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Not assumptions sweetie you created the monster u are on these boards. Where there is a will there is a way I could have went to University of Florida but I didn't I went to A HBCU where I got offered less money but I worked I had help from my family and I still managed to get the job done and there are many kids with that same story too. I wasn't going anywhere I knew I wasn't going to be happy. So just keep ranting honey you are just making your reputation on these boards worse. You don't have any balance to your post at all and the more you keep vomiting on these boards the more people are going to attack u for it.
A monster because I'm attacking Atlanta? Really? You're just over exaggerating now. I have NEVER gotten personal with anyone on these boards. Ever. I have never made a direct insult to anyone, but I'm a monster?

You're calling me a monster because I have an negative opinion towards Atlanta?

I don't care what you or anyone else on these boards think about me. I really don't. You're nobody to me. Call me a monster or whatever...in the end, it's just a forum board.

IMO, the term 'monster' should only be applied to people like rapists, child pedophiles, or mass serial killers like the Adam Lanza.

I'm not going to stop either whether you like it or not. Ignore me if you wish, but you have to admit, I've brought up some valid points in a variety of threads.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:43 AM

101 posts, read 154,500 times
Is this really the Atlanta welcome wagon? No wonder everyone hates on this city so much. You just pick and pick and pick on Ant because he dares think differently than you do.

I'm done with Atlanta. Moved out 3 months ago and am THRILLED. Moved to Brooklyn. Love it. Yeah it's expensive, but I sold my car, no more auto insurance and no more gas. I can walk to the corner to do my grocery shopping. My sister lives two blocks away with her husband and two kids so I have family here as a double plus.

Keep picking on Ant and you'll soon have one less intelligent free thinking person in Atlanta, which seems to be how you like it.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:50 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Yet you still care enough about it to visit the Atlanta forum.

Curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta