Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 12:07 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post

As for the other comments on the thread from others... and the large houses, 5 bedrooms, happy with a 1 bedroom in Manhattan... Alot is being lost here...

that is fine for one person or maybe a young couple, but families giving children their own room is nice. home offices can be productive, as are playrooms and arts and craft rooms. Any space that is good at teaching kids to be creative and productive really. Many people commonly don't just live at home, but operate a business out of home. To an extent space can help foster productivity.

With that said... I'd never argue one needs to spend $700,000 to get a 5 bedroom house. That can be found in many areas for far less.
I never said it was a 5 bedroom house for 700,000. It as more like 7 bedrooms, but with 3 kids, do you need 10,0000+ sq feet of space? Yes, it's basically a mansion. They are now in foreclosure for spending over their means. That was the point of my post. People would rather be complimented for something they don't really have then spend within their means.

When I said, I'd take a 1 bedroom, what you were supposed to get out of that post is, I don't need a big house or materialistic things to show off to people. Give me a regular 1 bedroom apartment in Manhattan and I'd be happy with life. It's the simple things that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 12:23 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,871,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I never said it was a 5 bedroom house for 700,000. It as more like 7 bedrooms, but with 3 kids, do you need 10,0000+ sq feet of space? Yes, it's basically a mansion. They are now in foreclosure for spending over their means. That was the point of my post. People would rather be complimented for something they don't really have then spend within their means.

When I said, I'd take a 1 bedroom, what you were supposed to get out of that post is, I don't need a big house or materialistic things to show off to people. Give me a regular 1 bedroom apartment in Manhattan and I'd be happy with life. It's the simple things that matter.
honestly i think just about everyone would probably be happier in a smaller house, closer to everyone and everything, and while we're at it, live in an area that you can actually walk out of your house and meet someone new— unplug the computer, the xbox, and step out the door and take a walk. to me, that's what urbanism is about— a chance to step away from your little bubble and enjoy life.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:06 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,521,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Black people in Atlanta are too busy trying to impress their friends with BMWs and big azz houses while their home is on foreclosure and have tens of thousands of debt...but that's okay as long as your friend compliments you on your big house or nice car.
Most black men are renters, unless we have custidy of children. I know exactly what you mean about the culture of over spending & brrowing to impress strangers. From what I've seen here in Atlanta its kinda an addiction. Once they start down that path no turning back until they crash & burn.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:18 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,521,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post

As the user, AnsleyPark has stated numerous times on here, he has white friends who are in the same predicament so its not just blacks who are keeping up with the Jonese in America. Only difference is that the hole is way harder to dig out for blacks compared to whites, in most cases.

Stop being cultural conditioned...
I think its foolish to compare the few exceptions of whites, to the norm of blacks, This trend of defending ignorant spending habits, by saying " white people do it to" will always fall on deaf ears. Some blacks just don't like the showoff swag fake baller culture the Atlanta is the king of. Different strokes for different folks. There are a few humble normal blacks in Atlanta that are the exception of that culture, but we are few & far inbetween. No use in arguing that though.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:55 AM

46 posts, read 124,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
honestly i think just about everyone would probably be happier in a smaller house, closer to everyone and everything, and while we're at it, live in an area that you can actually walk out of your house and meet someone new— unplug the computer, the xbox, and step out the door and take a walk. to me, that's what urbanism is about— a chance to step away from your little bubble and enjoy life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Most black men are renters, unless we have custidy of children. I know exactly what you mean about the culture of over spending & brrowing to impress strangers. From what I've seen here in Atlanta its kinda an addiction. Once they start down that path no turning back until they crash & burn.

This is what my wife and I are doing now that we have moved to ATL (we have one child in elementary school). We lived in a house that was much too big for us, and we always groaned about how much wasted space there was. Yes, it was pretty and amazing, but after a couple of years in that house, we realized we didn't use HALF the house. The upkeep, landscaping, etc was affordable but it agitated us because it felt pointless. We didn't need the yard because it seems kids these days (including mine) don't like to play outside as much as people my age did growing up.

We moved to Atlanta at the end of last year, and we can get approved up to $400,000 and can afford to put down at least 20%. We kept being "pushed" by realtors, coworkers and people we met to buy these $300k-400k homes, which weren't even updated. We asked ourselves "why would we put ourselves in that predicament? To impress others?" So, we started with school zones, then lowest home price and worked from there and found a nice place (new build) that fits the lifestyle we want for half of our qualifying amount.

I have met people since moving here who have bought further out from the perimeter, financing practically 100% of $300k homes. They have to discuss having any meals out, shyly say they aren't going to take any trips to the beach this year, the homes are bare or cheaply furnished/decorated (which isn't bad but hanging a $12 piece of "art" from Target above your fireplace in a $300k home is sad), and they may need a new car but are worried about the payments even on something like a Corolla.

We now have black neighbors, which was a bit concerning to us (not going to lie) because #1 we weren't used to having black neighbors and #2 the stereotypical characteristics of such neighborhoods like crime, education, values. It's not a majority black/minority neighborhood, but again even the handful of blacks living around us is more than we have ever had. Diversity was a major reason for us to move to ATL. Even though my wife and I may start out as uncomfortable, we don't want our son to have that problem.

If the lower price point to get into the school zone is based off the black neighbors we have now, then thank you to them for letting us get into a nice community for a good deal. That leaves us more cash to enjoy our lives.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:11 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,856,240 times
Quote:
I have never heard a Metro Atlanta school in a minority neighborhood recommended as being GREAT (good at times but not great)
Mays H.S. in SW Atlanta?
Quote:
That was my reason for buying into Kirkwood. Decent sized house, 1400 sf, close to everything, and lots of parks. When the weather is nice, like this past weekend, you couldn't keep me or my pregnant wife inside! We went for a walk to Edgewood Retail District, over 1 mile, and took the dogs to park, all without ever moving our car.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:25 AM

14 posts, read 19,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniMove View Post

We now have black neighbors, which was a bit concerning to us (not going to lie) because #1 we weren't used to having black neighbors and #2 the stereotypical characteristics of such neighborhoods like crime, education, values. It's not a majority black/minority neighborhood, but again even the handful of blacks living around us is more than we have ever had. Diversity was a major reason for us to move to ATL. Even though my wife and I may start out as uncomfortable, we don't want our son to have that problem.

If the lower price point to get into the school zone is based off the black neighbors we have now, then thank you to them for letting us get into a nice community for a good deal. That leaves us more cash to enjoy our lives.
At least you are honest about your racist fears.

Relax, most black people are to going to bite you.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:54 PM

46 posts, read 124,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinfresh View Post
At least you are honest about your racist fears.

Relax, most black people are to going to bite you.
I don't think fears can be racist. I would describe them more with having to do with being out of one's comfort zone. Racism to me would involve less fear, more prejudice, and more hate.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:20 PM

764 posts, read 1,108,473 times
Homes in majority black neighborhoods could appreciate in value if blacks decided to pay more for them. I'm not saying this as a criticism of blacks, but pure unadulterated economic reality. Folks, it's called Supply and Demand. For example, if potential black homeowners decide that areas of South DeKalb to the south of Decatur is the next "hip, trendy" place to live and are willing to pay more to live near Candler Rd. , then home prices will go up.

To be sure, there are majority black neighborhoods like the Cascade Road corridor west of I-285 where blacks have chosen to pay high prices to live in communities (some of which are gated), knowing that the area is 100% black and no whites are planning on moving there. Yet, they have purchased expensive homes there (many $400K & up) even though they could well afford to buy in majority white neighborhoods of the north side.

Instead of worrying about keeping up with the Jones's (as has been discussed at length in this thread), maybe the discussion should be on how can majority black neighborhoods make themselves attractive so that people of any and all races would choose to live there. To give an example, in the north Atlanta suburbs, the City and County governments will not allow a new subdivision to be built unless there is a mandatory homeowner's association with restrictive covenants in place which each new homeowner agrees to abide by. The homeowner's are forced to give dues which are then used to maintain the entrance to the subdivision, etc. Another example is in Cobb County, the County government has paid to build landscaped medians on most of the major four lane rods and also improved the streetscapes with wide sidewalks and shrubbery. Over time, all of this landscaping makes the neighborhoods look more attractive. To give a visual comparison, look at driving down Johnson Ferry Rd. and Roswell Rd. (GA 120) in East Cobb with many other parts of Metro Atlanta and you will see the difference.

One last comment and that is that homeownership is probably not going to provide the appreciation which occurred in past decades (in fact values have gone down). Therefore, instead of looking at your house as something to put a lot of your disposable income into with the hope of great returns, maybe your house should be viewed as shelter and one should attempt to pay off your mortgage as soon as possible. That way, you know you will have a place to live regardless of your economic circumstances.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:58 PM

4,685 posts, read 6,135,229 times
If a 1500 sq ft house in the Decatur ares is now selling for $50-125k depedning on the age and the same exact house in North Fulton area is going for $50-80K more because of "location, location, location" how can blacks have less money when they have a lower payment.

My town home was 68k in 09 as a foreclosure and the same exact type of town home in downtown Decatur was 80-100K more, so thats $500-600 les a month I have to worry about. But after living in Stone Mountain for 22yrs, I do agree about the whole fancy car and trying to impress others in regards to Lexus LS, 7 Series BMW's and S Class Benz, while a similar white family migth be driving a honda accord and saving $700 a month in car payments.

As far as property values in black areas, they can appreciate in a very short time if the young kids were to stop throwing trash anywhere the feel it should land, dont graffiti your own neighborhood, stop walking around with their pants sagging, and stop hanging out in front of businesses if your not there to buy anything as this only turns people away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta