Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 10:50 AM

348 posts, read 434,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Wouldn't it make sense to focus our extremely scarce transit dollars in the parts of the city that are already heavily developed and populated and that are loaded with jobs?

Then let transit expand in an organic fashion as other areas build out.
I agree but where else would the line go? There are already studies to extend up Ga 400 and down I-285 and I-20. The lines can't be extened to Cumberland/Galleria area. Nor will money for an extension to West Midtown probably ever come around anytime soon. I can't see anything other than underground construction when it comes to HRT. The only line would be to Emory, which is already slated for LRT (though I would prefer HRT). Every thing else would be to areas that already are near HRT, aren't developed enough, or by law can't have MARTA service. So why not have rail extended there and have developers come in and transform the area to a new part of the city that is urban and dense versus having the "Atlanta Asphault Ocean" that is there now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Transit should not be built to stadiums, but stadiums should be built along transit corridors. With the way that team ownership moves teams with a whim, it makes no sense to spend hundreds of millions to run HRT to a stadium that is used at least 81 times a year.
I agree somewhat. In a case like Atlanta, most of the rail service is built along rail corridors. I don't see too many locations where someone could just put a stadium along the current rail line, with the exception of Doraville. I personally don't think the Braves are going no where anytime soon plus 81 times a year is great IF there was major development also around the stadium. I'm sure more people would ride the train to games versus driving. About 5,000 or so use the Braves Shuttle now, per 2011 info.

Public Hearings for changes to Marta Schedule | District1Atlanta

"1) The MARTA Braves shuttle transports an average of 2,000 – 5,000 patrons to and from Braves games. The volume of ridership is even higher for major games."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
Based on the radio interview I posted, that idea is to build HRT to an area that has much more than 81 baseball games. They want to make the entire area into a destination that's more than baseball. Ironically, doing that would baseball team higher attendance and revenue, and even less reason to relocate
I think developing the area into dense condos and apartments and breaking the parking lots up into blocks could definitely support HRT. Turning Georgia Ave back into the commercial heart of the neighborhood and maybe some along Hank Arron would be great too. Add some smaller "pocket parks" and you have a great urban neighborhood close to the stadium and near HRT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I have trouble seeing a one stop HRT extension to Turner field make sense. But I think tying Turner in with the build out of the light rail / streetcar is key. But they either need to build it in its own right of way around the stadium or block off its lanes during games like they do for the brave shuttle.
My idea was to not only extend it to Turner Field but keep the line going east to Glenwood Park and basically following the proposed BRT route to Stonecrest Mall.

Quote:
Streetcar is better for this corridor. It could connect to West End via RDA and Grant Park via Georgia Ave. By having to branch off the downtown streetcar, it could use the same VMF and save millions.
I still like the idea of a streetcar along this route. I just think it would be good to connect it to the West End station and a Turner Field station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I'm thinking a monorail would be a good idea, like the ATL Skytrain at the H-J Airport.
I would like to see something like this connect Arts Center station with Atlantic Station and West Midtown near Howell Mill and 14th and near Marietta Blvd and Huff Rd.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:55 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfarley30 View Post
I would like to see something like this connect Arts Center station with Atlantic Station and West Midtown near Howell Mill and 14th and near Marietta Blvd and Huff Rd.
Streetcar from Arts Center Station thru Atlantic Station via 17th street, then south on Howell Mill and Marrietta Blvd to connect to the downtown streetcar.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:14 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,218,275 times
Quote:
Streetcar from Arts Center Station thru Atlantic Station via 17th street, then south on Howell Mill and Marrietta Blvd to connect to the downtown streetcar.
I've heard this suggested, and it would connect so many neighborhoods (ATLstn, Home Park, West Midtown, Marietta Artery), that I hope it gets built.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:03 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
I agree but where else would the line go?
How about Peachtree? MARTA skips from the Arts Center to Lindbergh, with no service in between. That's one of our densest corridors.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
How about Peachtree? MARTA skips from the Arts Center to Lindbergh, with no service in between. That's one of our densest corridors.
If I'm not mistake there was once a station planned near Peachtree and 25th and then Northside Drive and up I-75 to Cumberland and Marietta.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
If I'm not mistake there was once a station planned near Peachtree and 25th and then Northside Drive and up I-75 to Cumberland and Marietta.
I believe that's true. Also there were MARTA lines planned for Hapeville and the Clifton Corridor. Last I checked, there was a map including these lines above the escalators at the northeast entrance of Peachtree Center MARTA Station.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I think developing the area into dense condos and apartments and breaking the parking lots up into blocks could definitely support HRT. Turning Georgia Ave back into the commercial heart of the neighborhood and maybe some along Hank Arron would be great too. Add some smaller "pocket parks" and you have a great urban neighborhood close to the stadium and near HRT.
Absolutely correct

Old 05-30-2013, 01:49 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
I believe that's true. Also there were MARTA lines planned for Hapeville and the Clifton Corridor. Last I checked, there was a map including these lines above the escalators at the northeast entrance of Peachtree Center MARTA Station.
Still there. At the Harris Street escalator bank.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Still there. At the Harris Street escalator bank.
That's it. Imagine how far MARTA would have expanded had those plans been realized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta