Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 10:12 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,094,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
A helpful link/article....

51 Georgia schools among nation's best | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2009/06/14/best_schools.html - broken link)
Huh. My former high school in the Twin Cities is only #1120. That sucks.

Of course, even Newsweek itself presents dissenting opinions as to the overall usefulness and meaning of these AP-test-based rankings:

Best High Schools: The Reaction | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 03:28 PM

16,707 posts, read 29,542,355 times
I hate rankings...and rankings of schools don't mean a thing. And I think realtors/real-estate agents are the ambassadors of evil.
However, these tables are interesting for data purposes (population demographics for areas of Metro Atlanta)...for us "data/number/percentage/map" nerds...

http://www.ostenson.com/files/HighSchools-Metro.pdf (broken link)

http://www.ostenson.com/files/ElementarySchools-Metro.pdf (broken link)

I think information like this can be useful to school systems...to see trends...in order to stave off white flight, etc.

Last edited by aries4118; 06-16-2009 at 03:45 PM..

Old 06-16-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Huh. My former high school in the Twin Cities is only #1120. That sucks.

Of course, even Newsweek itself presents dissenting opinions as to the overall usefulness and meaning of these AP-test-based rankings:

Best High Schools: The Reaction | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com

Yep.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:53 AM

102 posts, read 389,431 times
Default Newsweek

This Newsweek stuff is ridiculous propaganda designed to encourage schools to water down AP classes and stuff every breathing body into them. All that they look at is how many kids are crammed into AP/IB not how well taught they are. So a school could cram every single kid into AP/IB classes and be the number one school on the list. Then, when you looked behind that ranking you would see that the vast majority of kids scored a 1 or 2.

I will pay attention to this ranking when it actually takes into account the quality of the classes taught and the scores earned. Until it includes that, it is nothing but an attempt at social engineering.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:16 PM

120 posts, read 302,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staroip View Post
This site has couple links regarding Atlanta public schools.

Best Atlanta Schools
After reading 18 pages, the link you provided gave the best and most basic info to use to compare. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Old 06-30-2009, 12:33 PM

120 posts, read 302,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlanta2 View Post
After reading 18 pages, the link you provided gave the best and most basic info to use to compare. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
I would also like to mention that another indicator of good schools is the % of students that go on to 2 & 4 year universities.
On a side note; both of my children were IBer's at their high schools (in Scottsdale, AZ) and they absolutely LOVED being in the program.
I would highly recommend going into the IB program if you qualify because it puts much more of an international "spin" on the subjects. Also, the students are actively engaged in discussions concerning what they are studying, especially about current events. It's much more hands-on than regular class.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:54 AM

27 posts, read 77,057 times
i can recommend "horizons school" especially for creative people. the building might look a little bit shabby but the idea behind the school is very sweet and your child will definitely develope in a great way. students that need more attention will get what they need- students with special skills can show their best and get challenged. i take care of the students before school starts and was able to see that an unbelievebal hyper young 5 year old boy- that didnt get any chance in a regular elementary school started to change into the "favourite" of everyone. he learned to put his energy into gymnastics and dancing and suprises us now with his wonderful, entertaining skills.
i am in touch with many of the students at this school and must say i am really surprised that there is a place nowadays where "love" and "caring" is still important. A place where no violence exists- everyone feels safe and happy. I am also very imprest of the international prgram they offer. Even though the school is really small- (I believe there are just 80 Students in High School and about 30 in Elementary + Middle school) - there are students from all over the world, true the motto "learn from different cultures". Its kinda like a big family. Very democratic school- students and teacher decide together about changes at school.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:11 PM

A helpful link for many (for those living in or interested in Cobb County):

http://www.cobb.k12.ga.us/centraloff...hool_Types.pdf

Old 08-01-2009, 06:14 PM

14 posts, read 19,179 times
Many, many helpful posts in this thread! We are relocating next summer and need middle school/neighborhood recommendations. But my head is spinning because I know nothing about the area and I'm having a difficult time pinpointing locations reading through the posts.

If this helps:
- my husband's job will be in Norcross, I work from home
- our daughter (youngest) will be entering 7th grade, good student but very into sports
- we'd like a neighborhood where kids play outside and interact with each other

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Old 08-01-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lidlfeet View Post
Many, many helpful posts in this thread! We are relocating next summer and need middle school/neighborhood recommendations. But my head is spinning because I know nothing about the area and I'm having a difficult time pinpointing locations reading through the posts.

If this helps:
- my husband's job will be in Norcross, I work from home
- our daughter (youngest) will be entering 7th grade, good student but very into sports
- we'd like a neighborhood where kids play outside and interact with each other

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Housing price range?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta