Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 04:45 AM

18 posts, read 50,676 times

Advertisements

Leaving Buckhead at 8am, I got on GA400 and was in very little traffic to Cumming. Took 25 mins to work location. On the return around 6pm, experienced the same. In both cases, the traffic going intown in the morning and out in the evening was at gridlock, which is what got me thinking about a reverse commute. I feel like my wife, who will attend Emory, then work somewhere in Atl in a year, would be in the middle of the traffic on the commute from Cumming to Atlanta. I've tried the reverse commute several times, but will try it several more times before feeling comfortable with the times.

Thanks again for the advice--the way you describe the neighborhoods is exactly what we're after--we'll check them all out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 03:24 PM

6 posts, read 36,053 times
Default Gwinnett County - Knight Elementary School (Lilburn)

I apologize if someone has already commented on this school on this thread, I did do a search and came up with nothing.

Can anyone comment on Knight Elementary school in Lilburn? Great Schools rates it as a 9, but there are lots of things to consider besides just this rating. I'm specifically concerned with the 25% of children with limited English proficiency. My family loves diversity, but I do not want a great deal of classroom time to be spent teaching English. Thoughts, specifically on this school would be great...thanks!

Old 02-06-2009, 10:46 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
I just ran across this article:

Marietta Daily Journal - Five Cobb high schools attain AP designation

"MARIETTA - Five of the 80 high schools designated by State Schools Superintendent Kathy Cox as Advanced Placement Honor Schools on Thursday are in the Cobb School District.

The five AP Cobb schools are Walton and Lassiter in east Cobb, Harrison in west Cobb, McEachern in Power Springs and Campbell in Smyrna."

Old 02-06-2009, 12:13 PM

401 posts, read 1,732,598 times
Congrats to Cobb..

I checked the list and ALL of the high schools in the City of Decatur district received this honor... Of course, Decatur has only one high school.. Congrats Decatur High!

Here is the link to the full list.

Georgia Department of Education - Communications (http://www.gadoe.org/pea_communications.aspx?ViewMode=1&obj=1540 - broken link)

Old 02-10-2009, 11:39 AM

18 posts, read 50,676 times
CM-Thanks for the heads-up on the commute. I had done it in twenty-five minutes to cumming (xt 13, GA 400), but from Druid Hills in moderate traffic it was 40--too much, so back to the drawing boards. Thanks for your input--

Old 03-12-2009, 06:55 AM

401 posts, read 1,732,598 times
Default ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by prusso View Post
The best resource I've found on the web for finding the better neghborhoods and schools is localtrends.com. They have pretty detailed heat maps on school quality and real estate price as well as some other pertinent demographics. The maps for atlanta are at Atlanta Metro Region Real Estate | Schools | Demographic Trends (http://www.localetrends.com/metro/atlanta_metro_real_estate.php - broken link)
It's waaaaay out of date for my area. I'd say that the info as more than 5 years out of date at least.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 7,910 times
Default Looking for p/t infant daycare in Dunwoody...

Hello! I am new here, but not to Dunwoody (have lived here my entire life!).

My husband and I just adopted a baby girl and in a few months I will be returning to work p/t.

We are looking for someplace in the Dunwoody area that will take an infant (she'll be 3-4 months when I go back) on a p/t schedule. Probably 2-3 days per week...about 5-6 hours on those days.

Price range is extremely flexible. Our main priority is getting her into the best possible daycare.

Oops! I meant to start a new thread for this! I am so sorry...reposting on the main page...

Old 03-18-2009, 05:42 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtiger View Post
It's waaaaay out of date for my area. I'd say that the info as more than 5 years out of date at least.
I agree- our subdivision hase been here for over 3 years, and the area on the "real estate prices" map is shown as blank (vacant).

Old 04-14-2009, 11:04 AM

10 posts, read 36,664 times
Default Gwinnett county schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinzie View Post
I apologize if someone has already commented on this school on this thread, I did do a search and came up with nothing.

Can anyone comment on Knight Elementary school in Lilburn? Great Schools rates it as a 9, but there are lots of things to consider besides just this rating. I'm specifically concerned with the 25% of children with limited English proficiency. My family loves diversity, but I do not want a great deal of classroom time to be spent teaching English. Thoughts, specifically on this school would be great...thanks!

I am relocating to the Atlanta area from DC and most likely will be
going to Gwinnett county.

I read through all the posts on this thread but it seems like most comments
are concentrated on East Cobb and Decatur area. Does anyone have
experience with N. Gwinnett county schools? I am interested in the
Brookwood, Parkview, Collins Hill, and North Gwinnett high school district
and don't really know what those schools are like besides the test scores
and data provided by the GA public school.
It is very difficult for me to visit the schools because the only time I can
visit is when our school here is on holiday and unfortunately, your school
system is also off at those times.

I also found out that the N. Gwinnett high school will be redistrict into
Lanier district and N. Gwinnett, how would that affect the N. Gwinnett
high school? Will the new Lanier high school be just as good as the
current N. Gwinnett?

Old 06-14-2009, 10:47 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
A helpful link/article....

51 Georgia schools among nation's best | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2009/06/14/best_schools.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta