Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 11:36 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Your mailing address can't be 356 Pine Road, Fulton County, GA. So you just use the city for whatever post office serves you. It's that simple. If you have a problem with it, write the postmaster general.
actually, WAY back in the day i used to live in the sticks, and we would get letters that had our address followed with "rural route 7", and then the state and zip code. i don't think that they do that anymore, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 06:14 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
I find it highly unlikely that any business moves to Cumberland for the privelege of having an Atlanta mailing address without paying city taxes. That's ludicrous. Businesses are concerned with getting the right space for the right money, not what the mailing label says. If that were the case, why would so many companies choose Sandy Springs for their headquarters? That notion is insane. You could make the mailing address Bubbaville, Georgia and I doubt any of the businesses would even notice. The fact that you think these companies are somehow stealing the good name of Atlanta without paying taxes into it is, well, I don't even know what it is, but it's not within the realm of normal.
Your ludacris to think that some of those companies in Perimeter Center didn't at least notice if they locate there the mailing address in Atlanta, but they don't have to pay COA business taxes. May not have been a big part of the move, but it crossed their minds.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:04 AM

348 posts, read 434,557 times
Quote:
Your mailing address means nothing. It has nothing to do with what city you are in, and it's not some kind of privelege. All it has to do with is which post office delivers your mail. That's all.

Before Johns Creek was incorporated, much of the area used Duluth as its mailing address. It still has the same zip code. None of incorporated Duluth is even in Fulton county, but ares of Gwinnett, Fulton, and even parts of Forsyth I believe used Duluth mailing addresses. The same is true for Decatur. How many people come here confused as to why they found a cheap crap hole in Decatur, only to find out they are actually in unincorporated Dekalb county? All it means is the post offices located in Duluth and Decatur deliver mail to these addresses. Your mailing address can't be 356 Pine Road, Fulton County, GA. So you just use the city for whatever post office serves you. It's that simple. If you have a problem with it, write the postmaster general.

I find it highly unlikely that any business moves to Cumberland for the privelege of having an Atlanta mailing address without paying city taxes. That's ludicrous. Businesses are concerned with getting the right space for the right money, not what the mailing label says. If that were the case, why would so many companies choose Sandy Springs for their headquarters? That notion is insane. You could make the mailing address Bubbaville, Georgia and I doubt any of the businesses would even notice. The fact that you think these companies are somehow stealing the good name of Atlanta without paying taxes into it is, well, I don't even know what it is, but it's not within the realm of normal.
While I agree with some of what you said there are some points you are trying to make that make no sense. I agree you can't have a 356 Pine Road address with the county only. Your argument makes complete sense if Vinings and Cumberland were in Fulton, but they are in Cobb. So why not use Symrna address since that is the closest city in that county. They are using a city that isn't even in their county.

Also for you to think no company doesn't think having an Atlanta address without paying the taxes of Atlanta isn't a good deal is ludicrous! That is part of what you are talking about when a company thinks about making money but still desire a great location. Why do companies locate in Sandy Springs versus ATL? The get cheaper taxes and make more money all while still being associated with Atlanta. This is the ATLANTA metro area. People and business move here to be in this area for Atlanta but it cost more to live or set up in ATL. So why not move to Cobb or some other far out county and still get to say "yeah, I live in ATL" and not pay the cost to actually live there? Hell, people are wanting certain area codes just to say they are from a particular area! So I'm very much in the realm of normal. Maybe you should come join me.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:10 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfarley30 View Post
While I agree with some of what you said there are some points you are trying to make that make no sense. I agree you can't have a 356 Pine Road address with the county only. Your argument makes complete sense if Vinings and Cumberland were in Fulton, but they are in Cobb. So why not use Symrna address since that is the closest city in that county. They are using a city that isn't even in their county.

Also for you to think no company doesn't think having an Atlanta address without paying the taxes of Atlanta isn't a good deal is ludicrous! That is part of what you are talking about when a company thinks about making money but still desire a great location. Why do companies locate in Sandy Springs versus ATL? The get cheaper taxes and make more money all while still being associated with Atlanta. This is the ATLANTA metro area. People and business move here to be in this area for Atlanta but it cost more to live or set up in ATL. So why not move to Cobb or some other far out county and still get to say "yeah, I live in ATL" and not pay the cost to actually live there? Hell, people are wanting certain area codes just to say they are from a particular area! So I'm very much in the realm of normal. Maybe you should come join me.
Exactly, use Smyrna. Cobb wants nothing to do with Atlanta, so Cumberland should have a Smyrna mailing address.
404!

Old 04-19-2013, 11:17 AM

348 posts, read 434,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
The subject of annexing Vinings has been much discussed here at CD. The bottom line is that it won't happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
How could Atlanta annex that area? You know there would be intense push-back to any such attempt.

.... it may LoriLove.... we're still thinking!

Old 04-19-2013, 12:39 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
Quote:
Your mailing address means nothing. It has nothing to do with what city you are in, and it's not some kind of privelege. All it has to do with is which post office delivers your mail. That's all.
Came here just to say exactly that.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:08 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
Regarding mailing addresses, the post office is currently asking parts of Smyrna that dip inside the perimeter if they want their address changed to 30339. This will give them the option of using Atlanta or Vinings as their mailing address.

Slice of Smyrna wants in Vinings ZIP code | www.ajc.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta