Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 02:43 PM

348 posts, read 434,259 times

Advertisements

I was looking at some information and I'm sure most know that the Cumberland Mall area is in Cobb county but the addresses mainly show Atlanta, 30339. Of course we know that most of ATL is in Fulton but there is also a small portion in Dekalb. Also, in the Vinings area (both areas are inside I-285) there are some address that show ATL, even though they are in Cobb. Since the MARTA tax was accepted by Fulton county, Dekalb county, AND the city of Atlanta, shouldn't MARTA be allowed to extend to those areas since they have Atlanta addresses? From my understanding Atlanta is counted as a 3rd participant of MARTA. To me we should have rail service to Cumberland Mall and atleast bus service to the Vinings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 02:53 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
Well, MARTA Bus route 12 extends to Cumberland Mall so I guess there's a little precedent. Frankly, while extending rail service deeper into Cobb makes sense, terminating Heavy Rail at Cumberland could work for now, it would be like Doraville or Dunwoody before the extension to North Springs.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:57 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfarley30 View Post
I was looking at some information and I'm sure most know that the Cumberland Mall area is in Cobb county but the addresses mainly show Atlanta, 30339. Of course we know that most of ATL is in Fulton but there is also a small portion in Dekalb. Also, in the Vinings area (both areas are inside I-285) there are some address that show ATL, even though they are in Cobb. Since the MARTA tax was accepted by Fulton county, Dekalb county, AND the city of Atlanta, shouldn't MARTA be allowed to extend to those areas since they have Atlanta addresses? From my understanding Atlanta is counted as a 3rd participant of MARTA. To me we should have rail service to Cumberland Mall and atleast bus service to the Vinings.
City limits of Atlanta, not mailing address. The PO gave that area Atlanta decades ago. Companies move there so they can have an Atlanta mailing address without having to pay the city's business taxes. I think since its not city limits and paying city business taxes, those areas should not have the right to have an Atlanta mailing address. I mean who outside of GA has ever heard of Vinings or Smyrna?

Old 04-17-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
City limits of Atlanta, not mailing address. The PO gave that area Atlanta decades ago. Companies move there so they can have an Atlanta mailing address without having to pay the city's business taxes. I think since its not city limits and paying city business taxes, those areas should not have the right to have an Atlanta mailing address. I mean who outside of GA has ever heard of Vinings or Smyrna?
I'm sure it's for political reasons but wonder why Atlanta has just never annexed the area since it already has the mailing address?

Old 04-17-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Well, MARTA Bus route 12 extends to Cumberland Mall so I guess there's a little precedent. Frankly, while extending rail service deeper into Cobb makes sense, terminating Heavy Rail at Cumberland could work for now, it would be like Doraville or Dunwoody before the extension to North Springs.
That's what I was thinking too

Old 04-17-2013, 03:12 PM

280 posts, read 389,570 times
No there is no MARTA tax anywhere in Cobb and no MARTA service. The Atlanta city limits stop at the river.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:58 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,611 times
Quote:
I'm sure it's for political reasons but wonder why Atlanta has just never annexed the area since it already has the mailing address?
The subject of annexing Vinings has been much discussed here at CD. The bottom line is that it won't happen.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:58 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kferq View Post
No there is no MARTA tax anywhere in Cobb and no MARTA service. The Atlanta city limits stop at the river.
As I said, MARTA Bus route 12 crosses the river to the Cumberland Transfer Center which is in Cobb County.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:29 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
How could Atlanta annex that area? You know there would be intense push-back to any such attempt.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:13 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Your mailing address means nothing. It has nothing to do with what city you are in, and it's not some kind of privelege. All it has to do with is which post office delivers your mail. That's all.

Before Johns Creek was incorporated, much of the area used Duluth as its mailing address. It still has the same zip code. None of incorporated Duluth is even in Fulton county, but ares of Gwinnett, Fulton, and even parts of Forsyth I believe used Duluth mailing addresses. The same is true for Decatur. How many people come here confused as to why they found a cheap crap hole in Decatur, only to find out they are actually in unincorporated Dekalb county? All it means is the post offices located in Duluth and Decatur deliver mail to these addresses. Your mailing address can't be 356 Pine Road, Fulton County, GA. So you just use the city for whatever post office serves you. It's that simple. If you have a problem with it, write the postmaster general.

I find it highly unlikely that any business moves to Cumberland for the privelege of having an Atlanta mailing address without paying city taxes. That's ludicrous. Businesses are concerned with getting the right space for the right money, not what the mailing label says. If that were the case, why would so many companies choose Sandy Springs for their headquarters? That notion is insane. You could make the mailing address Bubbaville, Georgia and I doubt any of the businesses would even notice. The fact that you think these companies are somehow stealing the good name of Atlanta without paying taxes into it is, well, I don't even know what it is, but it's not within the realm of normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta