Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 09:23 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
Class, as in this faux Versailles in Buckhead? Love the garage doors, such a nice architectural detail.

Buckhead is full of newly rich people who would like the rest of the world to know that they have money. Since you mentioned rappers, shall I post an image of a pro athlete's (Allen Iverson) former faux chateau (foreclosed of course) in Buckhead?

Taste is subjective. Snobbery on the other hand is just boorish.
Buckhead certainly has newly rich folks; however, it is also home to Atlanta's old wealth families - predominantly so. While snobbery is boorish, jealousy and being judgmental is very unattractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 09:41 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,778,928 times
Quote:
Buckhead is full of newly rich people who would like the rest of the world to know that they have money.
I'd agree with that simply based on timeframe. You have to go to places like Greenwich, CT and the edges of central park to find true old money.

Fyi, old money runs out. I had a colonial ancestor that was from royalty, given large parcels of the colonies probably worth trillions today and was extremely loaded. Even after the revolution, the family was still in really good shape. However, throw in enough generations and some people with gambling problems and there's nothing left of that money. At least in our side of the family.

Sadly, the guys controlling all the money right now are really good at helping rich people get richer, especially old money.

By what I mean by "rich" in this conversation, $10 million a year doesn't cut it.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:07 AM

712 posts, read 701,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Buckhead certainly has newly rich folks; however, it is also home to Atlanta's old wealth families - predominantly so. While snobbery is boorish, jealousy and being judgmental is very unattractive.
You're missing the point. I posted an image of a gigantic house in Cumming. It immediately elicited responses that it was stereo-typically nouveau-riche and something you wouldn't find in the rarefied atmosphere of Buckhead or ITP generally speaking. My point with the second image is that you can find the exact same architecture in multiple houses in Buckhead. People like displaying their affluence and it's not limited to high net worth folks. I mentioned new money because I was responding to a post about the nouveau-riche and you most certainly can find new money right beside old money in Buckhead.

Neither image I posted is in keeping with my taste, but that's irrelevant. No one is forcing me to live in either house. As I posted before the post you quoted, taste is subjective. The incessant nattering on city-data consisting of, "I would never live in (insert location here) because it's beneath my taste (or status or however one wants to phrase it)", is what I was responding to.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:51 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Okay. Apologies if I misunderstood you. There are so many CD posters who like to bash Buckhead it makes my head spin!

Old 08-14-2014, 12:50 PM

719 posts, read 1,333,137 times
Aren't those 2 almost similar. Substandard and low class... I'd say it's on the "come up" and growing fast. A lot of people are moving out that way. Typical suburban area. I'd say it has somewhat of an "omg wow factor" because it's in Forsyth and has access to 400 and the "golden corridor".

Old 08-14-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Okay. Apologies if I misunderstood you. There are so many CD posters who like to bash Buckhead it makes my head spin!
No worries. Unfortunately bashing neighborhoods, places etc. is a CD pastime.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:35 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,778,928 times
Quote:
This house has a Cumming address. They must have used an extra large cookie cutter.

You may now return to your completely subjective debate.
Big whoop

Mableton

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sm...6104eec4f504a3

I guarantee these are more expensive than that Cumming home (compare with the large mansions in the lower right, that look tiny in comparison). And it's two, so that makes Mableton twice as nice as Cumming, right? One house does not make Cumming a nice place or something with a lot of character. Cumming is the apex of suburban living and cookie-cutter housing.

They are two approximately 10,000sq foot custom homes on about 4 acres each built in 2008 during the crash (without the Versailles knock-off garden).

Last edited by netdragon; 08-14-2014 at 04:03 PM..

Old 08-14-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Big whoop.

Mableton

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sm...6104eec4f504a3

I guarantee these are more expensive than that Cumming home (compare with the large mansions in the lower right, that look tiny in comparison). And it's two, so that makes Mableton twice as nice as Cumming, right? One house does not make Cumming a nice place or something with a lot of character. Cumming is the apex of suburban living and cookie-cutter housing.
Woosh.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,103 times
I live in north Forsyth county and truly love it. Cumming (far more off color names of towns and cities in PA by the way) is a nice place, but the county in my opinion is overbuilding and ruining
forsyth county! There is so much beauty that is being lost to constrction of cookie cutter housing developments! Stay out of forsyth county and let it remain a beautiful and natural place.

As for the diversity of people, thats a little weird, no disrespect intended, but why have all the non americans decided to move to GA. And if you are going to move to any country, learn the language. Some one who does not speak english can get free classes (that most don't take), but I can not get a free class to learn Spanish, thats not fair either.

As for the southern accents, I personally think it is a shame that most people do not use their southern drawl, the language is a part of their history. Its the same for example if you have say Italian parents and you do not teach your children Italian, its a lost part of their history.

I just think Cumming and Forsyth county needs to stop growing, and stay beautiful. I watch the board meetings and get sad at how many building permits they are allowing.

Again, not meant to be insulting to anyone, just my personal opinions.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:56 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,960 times
I need that black guy with the chair gif.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta