Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 03:11 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times

Advertisements

Actually neighborhoods are officially defined by the city:

City of Atlanta, GA : NPU by Neighborhood
http://www.atlantaga.gov/modules/sho...ocumentid=2699

"Downtown" extends to North Ave East of 75/85 and up to 10th street west of 75/85. That puts Suntrust Plaza pretty close to the geographic center of downtown. The "SoNo" area can be a little bit of a blury line between downtown and midtown to some people. And, I personally might say the true "heart" of downtown is 4-5 blocks south, but I don't think there is any denying that Suntrust plaza is downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 03:53 PM

924 posts, read 1,455,160 times
New jobs is deceptive. It is just jobs moved from their Wildwood Offices and the Coke building downtown into this spot. So it isn't even really relocating much of that number very far and is neutral for the metro area as a whole.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
So this means 3000 additional people downtown?
No, it probably means 1000 more downtown since some are moving from the Coke building according to the article.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:00 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
New jobs is deceptive. It is just jobs moved from their Wildwood Offices and the Coke building downtown into this spot. So it isn't even really relocating much of that number very far and is neutral for the metro area as a whole.
You're right, but what is good is this will help prop up the downtown office market again. It has been lagging behind most other metro office markets, since the recession began. We need more things like this to happen before we see a good bit more private investment start to come back into the area.

Cobb isn't hurting.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
You're right, but what is good is this will help prop up the downtown office market again. It has been lagging behind most other metro office markets, since the recession began. We need more things like this to happen before we see a good bit more private investment start to come back into the area.

Cobb isn't hurting.
Traffic is bad enough downtown, we don't need more. Also most employees being moved from Cobb downtown will probably just add to the traffic on I-75.

I am all for getting excited over new jobs from outside the region, but jobs just moving from one part of metro Atlanta to another doesn't really benefit us much overall and in some ways can be a negative.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:34 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
Traffic is bad enough downtown, we don't need more. Also most employees being moved from Cobb downtown will probably just add to the traffic on I-75.

I am all for getting excited over new jobs from outside the region, but jobs just moving from one part of metro Atlanta to another doesn't really benefit us much overall and in some ways can be a negative.
But that is narrow, short-term way of looking at things in the grand scheme.

If more jobs would locate downtown it would be more common for the typical middle class executive to locate west of atlanta, towards conyers, or more south of town.... where traffic isn't as bad.

Back in the 90s and prior to that the northside was growing stronger, but peoples choices of where to move wasn't as lopsided as it is now.

Beyond that the worst part of traffic is 75 north of 285, things move better inside 285, except for the connector...which is a short burden.

We also have to consider many millennials are shifting in-town, so to find up and coming talent it is a good place to locate. Not everyone who works for them are coming from Cobb. Many are bound to be coming from Dekalb and Gwinnett and areas of Fulton as well and the downtown commute might actually be easier than driving across 285 north.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:01 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times
Haha, I didn't think this thread would degrade into a debate over where downtown is.

CW is right. Growth is coming back into town. We just may be reaching the tipping point when finally, finally, the outward growth slows down. This is a good thing for everyone outside of Cobb County.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:23 PM

163 posts, read 431,232 times
Speaking as a Coca-Cola employee who's based at 2500, all I can tell you is anecdotally, many people who work at 3200 are categorically not happy--and many of my colleagues in 2500 are glad that those of us based in that building don't have to worry about it at this point. As you've surmised, this is all about the commute for those people, many of whom live in the Kennesaw or Roswell areas.

Conversely, I live in Inman Park, and though the commute up there isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, I'd LOVE for them to locate us at the SunTrust building. Not just for commuting purposes--realistically, it's a difference between a 20-minute and 10-minute commute for me--but I'd really like NOT to be in the suburbs, and instead be able to just walk outside and grab lunch, etc. The building at 2500 is beautiful, as are the surroundings, but I'd prefer a more urban setting.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:27 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsirk View Post
Speaking as a Coca-Cola employee who's based at 2500, all I can tell you is anecdotally, many people who work at 3200 are categorically not happy--and many of my colleagues in 2500 are glad that those of us based in that building don't have to worry about it at this point. As you've surmised, this is all about the commute for those people, many of whom live in the Kennesaw or Roswell areas.

Conversely, I live in Inman Park, and though the commute up there isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, I'd LOVE for them to locate us at the SunTrust building. Not just for commuting purposes--realistically, it's a difference between a 20-minute and 10-minute commute for me--but I'd really like NOT to be in the suburbs, and instead be able to just walk outside and grab lunch, etc. The building at 2500 is beautiful, as are the surroundings, but I'd prefer a more urban setting.
They will be ok. Express buses run daily from those areas to downtown

Old 06-11-2013, 04:12 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,690,305 times
So will they be the only 2000 people in downtown working? Because I thought nobody works downtown. (sarcasm)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta