Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 05:41 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,444,561 times

Advertisements

NYC's is. Unfortunately for Atlanta, NYC, Boston and others put their primary systems in long before MARTA, benefitting from lower land / right-of-way costs, after even inflation adjustment. I'm afraid we, in Atlanta, are stuck with our modern costs and will never ever have a NYC-like system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 07:24 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,953,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
NYC's is. Unfortunately for Atlanta, NYC, Boston and others put their primary systems in long before MARTA, benefitting from lower land / right-of-way costs, after even inflation adjustment. I'm afraid we, in Atlanta, are stuck with our modern costs and will never ever have a NYC-like system.
Most of those systems were built by private companies.
WMATA benefits from federal funding and serving the nations capital.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Most of those systems were built by private companies.
WMATA benefits from federal funding and serving the nations capital.
I sorta think thTs a distinction without a difference. Billions of dollars are still billions of dollars.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:43 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,953,039 times
Quote:
I sorta think thTs a distinction without a difference. Billions of dollars are still billions of dollars.
But of course the feds are going to pour billions into the nations capital's transit system before it does Atlanta. WMATA has preference because it serves DC.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:46 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,912,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I refuse to pay more than $2.50. NYC is the same price, but far more extensive. I'll drive, thank you.
I'm fine with you driving. I just don't want to pay for your roads or be forced to build parking for you.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I'm fine with you driving. I just don't want to pay for your roads or be forced to build parking for you.
The flip side to this is that many folks without access to MARTA don't want to pay for MARTA access either. Likely the reason the state doesn't support it. I believe the more reasonable position should be that the state provide funds for all modes of transport - rail and road - in a sensible region specific way. There has to be a sensible middle-of-the-road approach to all of this.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
The flip side to this is that many folks without access to MARTA don't want to pay for MARTA access either. Likely the reason the state doesn't support it. I believe the more reasonable position should be that the state provide funds for all modes of transport - rail and road - in a sensible region specific way. There has to be a sensible middle-of-the-road approach to all of this.
The only fair way is to have people pay for what they use. This should be corrected by upping the gas tax and adding tolls to cover 100% of roads and then cutting MARTA free from government control and only have riders fully pay for its cost. But I accept that there may need to be temporary fixes because of our political climate. So in the mean time, At least evenly distribute the "free" money. And transit gets relatively little money.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:36 AM

280 posts, read 390,838 times
Quote:
The only fair way is to have people pay for what they use. This should be corrected by upping the gas tax and adding tolls to cover 100% of roads and then cutting MARTA free from government control and only have riders fully pay for its cost. But I accept that there may need to be temporary fixes because of our political climate. So in the mean time, At least evenly distribute the "free" money. And transit gets relatively little money.
No this is still not fair, because we all benefit from the economic benefit of improved transportation. Do not forget the benefit of transportation infrastructure on economic growth. I may walk to work, but I still benefit from increased economic activity that puts money in my customers pocket! I would be a freeloader if I did not pay into the system.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kferq View Post
No this is still not fair, because we all benefit from the economic benefit of improved transportation. Do not forget the benefit of transportation infrastructure on economic growth. I may walk to work, but I still benefit from increased economic activity that puts money in my customers pocket! I would be a freeloader if I did not pay into the system.
Give me an example of a single industry that does not provide an economic benefit to the community. All of them encourage new developments near where they locate jobs (In addition to providing direct salaries to employees). They encourage suppliers to relocate to the area. They increase tax collections. Why aren't you giving tax dollars to that new restaurant down the street that hired a bunch of people and bought food from a local supplier? If you aren't eating at the restaurant aren't you a freeloader from that economic benefit?

Transportation is no different.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:45 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,168,535 times
Quote:
And that's the attitude that makes MARTA lose more and more riders every year! Great job discouraging more people from riding! As less people ride, the less service there is, the more delays, the less security and more crime. MARTA isn't a extensive transit system that I think deserve people to pay more than 2.50. This isn't Tokyo where it's a high tech system, clean and efficient. This is Atlanta, a ghetto unplanned mess of a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta