Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2013, 01:54 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
And that's the attitude that makes MARTA lose more and more riders every year! Great job discouraging more people from riding! As less people ride, the less service there is, the more delays, the less security and more crime.
Explain to me again how free roads are making more people ride MARTA?

If you have pay for the $10 worth of road you are using vs $3.50 worth of MARTA then I think many would reconsider driving. But at $0 for roads and $2.50 for MARTA it is hard to compete. Plus per my earlier links, subsidized transit is shown to provide a worse experience for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 01:57 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,393,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Give me an example of a single industry that does not provide an economic benefit to the community. All of them encourage new developments near where they locate jobs (In addition to providing direct salaries to employees). They encourage suppliers to relocate to the area. They increase tax collections. Why aren't you giving tax dollars to that new restaurant down the street that hired a bunch of people and bought food from a local supplier? If you aren't eating at the restaurant aren't you a freeloader from that economic benefit?

Transportation is no different.
The very nature of transportation - that of being owned and funded by the public - makes it far different from the restaurant. Public services and entities have an inherent moral obligation to the public. A private entity may be forced to follow regulations promulgated by moral concerns, but, they have no innate moral obligation to the public. They may chose to do what is morally right because that improves their bottom line. But they have no natural moral obligation.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:38 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
...Public services and entities have an inherent moral obligation to the public. A private entity may be forced to follow regulations promulgated by moral concerns, but, they have no innate moral obligation to the public. They may chose to do what is morally right because that improves their bottom line. But they have no natural moral obligation.
But which usually provides a better customer service experience and product? A private entity or a public one?

But I am not even necessarily arguing that we need to cut out transportation entirely from having a public component. All I am saying is we should charge by use like we do with water (which is a public utility).

Old 10-10-2013, 02:48 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,142,186 times
I really hope this isnt going to be the usual.

-MARTA has a meeting to expand
-People get exited and start talking about the benefits of it
-The NIMBY's jump in, the it will bring crime jumps in, the my property value will drop, the do we really need marta out here jumps in
-All that is focused in the the minor disadvantages in stead of the major advantages
-Somehow it ends up just being talk with no progress made
-Months and years go by again, with not one brick laid

-We are all here having this same exact conversation again, hoping and dreaming of what a MARTA expansion will do and how it will help.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:52 PM

280 posts, read 389,869 times
Quote:
But which usually provides a better customer service experience and product? A private entity or a public one?

But I am not even necessarily arguing that we need to cut out transportation entirely from having a public component. All I am saying is we should charge by use like we do with water (which is a public utility).
And which is more focused on the overall economy, a private entity or a public one?

But I am not saying that we need to cut out transportation entirely from having a private component or that we should not charge reasonable fees (for both transit and roads). Your arguments on incentives are valid. All I am saying, is that if you charge exactly what a transportation costs to the users, you will stiffle economic growth. Buisness will move elsewhere. The public subsidy from tax dollars is the cost of enhanced economic growth.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:15 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,124,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I really hope this isnt going to be the usual.

-MARTA has a meeting to expand
-People get exited and start talking about the benefits of it
-The NIMBY's jump in, the it will bring crime jumps in, the my property value will drop, the do we really need marta out here jumps in
-All that is focused in the the minor disadvantages in stead of the major advantages
-Somehow it ends up just being talk with no progress made
-Months and years go by again, with not one brick laid

-We are all here having this same exact conversation again, hoping and dreaming of what a MARTA expansion will do and how it will help.
North Fulton doesn't have the hurdle of approving a MARTA tax like Cobb and Gwinnett, plus the only thing that's been holding up a North Line extension is lack of $$$.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:56 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,393,037 times
Quote:

Agreed. But it's getting the money and having the political will to do so. Heck, our politicians cannot even keep the federal government open. I doubt that the local politicos can pass such legislation re: pay for use, any time in the near future. And, I'm unconvinced that such is the proper model regardless.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:03 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times
Quote:
Simple, a public one. Private folks just say "don't like it? well go elsewhere then!" while government run semi-monopolies have constituents to look after.
Quote:
The difference is that while water is direct revenue quid pro quo, transit is indirect revenue. The great private companies in history that everyone points to like the Los Angeles Railway, or Pacific electric all had one thing in common. Namely that they had significant holdings of land or infrastructure (electricity) that they could generate profit off of, that wouldn't exist without the transit line. Unless you get a private entity to buy up all land along a transit line and around all the stations, a private entity wouldn't generate a profit running the transit either. Sure, you might get someone to buy a lot of land around a single transit station, but that would only generate profit for the station, not running the line elsewhere. The reality of today is that there is very little land available cheap enough for a private entity to buy it for transit-oriented development while also owning the line. Since the "state" would be the one to profit off of transit-driven economic activities, it makes sense that the state should provide the funding.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:53 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,142,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
North Fulton doesn't have the hurdle of approving a MARTA tax like Cobb and Gwinnett, plus the only thing that's been holding up a North Line extension is lack of $$$.
True, but the issue has always been $$$ and unless we pay an extra 1% in DeKalb and Fulton or a miracle of Cobb or Gwinnett paying 1% , the issue will always be $$$ because the state is not going to fund MARTA.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:35 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,508,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
The difference is that while water is direct revenue quid pro quo, transit is indirect revenue. The great private [transit] companies in history that everyone points to like the Los Angeles Railway, or Pacific electric all had one thing in common. Namely that they had significant holdings of land or infrastructure (electricity) that they could generate profit off of, that wouldn't exist without the transit line. Unless you get a private entity to buy up all land along a transit line and around all the stations, a private entity wouldn't generate a profit running the transit either. Sure, you might get someone to buy a lot of land around a single transit station, but that would only generate profit for the station, not running the line elsewhere. The reality of today is that there is very little land available cheap enough for a private entity to buy it for transit-oriented development while also owning the line. Since the "state" would be the one to profit off of transit-driven economic activities, it makes sense that the state should provide the funding.
These are some very good and very key points, particularly the section that is bolded.

Though, a private entity does not necessarily have to buy up all land along transit lines and around transit stations for real estate holdings along transit lines to generate profits in an urban/metropolitan area in the 21st Century where most surrounding land along transit lines and around transit stations has already been developed.

Real estate profits can be generated from the relatively large expanses of land around transit stations that are typically used for parking at suburban stations.

Real estate profits can be generated by constructing high-density mixed-use transit-oriented development on those relatively large expanses of land and building the parking area in a horizontal structure under that high-density mixed-use transit-oriented development.

Parking can also be built in an elevated vertical parking structure adjacent to the high-density mixed-use transit-oriented development where outdoor surface parking spaces might have been placed in past eras.

The airspace over and above grade-separated transit lines and transit stations in areas with existing development can also be utilized for high-density mixed-use transit-oriented development.

Large metropolitan transit entities are going to have buy relatively large expanses of land around transit stations for parking, particularly in suburban areas anyways, they might as well use that land for the development of revenue-producing real estate development that can help pay (and subsidize) the costs of transit operations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta