Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2014, 07:52 AM

749 posts, read 887,359 times

Advertisements

Great news that the expansion is coming closer to fruition. I wish that the NW and NE metro would get their act together and get serious about transit like the areas along the 400 corridor.

Also, i have to disagree with this quote....

“You know, Perimeter Center is Downtown Atlanta. Perimeter Center in my mind is already quasi urban.”

....yeah, keep telling yourself that Steve Martin...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 08:03 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
Great news that the expansion is coming closer to fruition. I wish that the NW and NE metro would get their act together and get serious about transit like the areas along the 400 corridor.

“You know, Perimeter Center is Downtown Atlanta. Perimeter Center in my mind is already quasi urban.”

Perimeter Center is nothing but a big suburban office park with lots of apartments and retail separated from the road/sidewalk by massive parking lots. People still prefer to drive and until PCID can slow cars down and make it safer for pedestrians and cyclist, it will never be a urban business district. Most new office development, except for the State Farm campus, is still set back from the road/sidewalk.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:07 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,786,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post

They will. Give Marta a few more years to turn things around, once Clayton County votes on Marta entering the county and once Ga 400 expands they will join Marta.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:17 AM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Perimeter Center is nothing but a big suburban office park with lots of apartments and retail separated from the road/sidewalk by massive parking lots. People still prefer to drive and until PCID can slow cars down and make it safer for pedestrians and cyclist, it will never be a urban business district. Most new office development, except for the State Farm campus, is still set back from the road/sidewalk.
Certainly Perimeter is still suburban by its very design, but I think PCID has done a good job with sidewalk and road improvements, lighting, etc. that make the area a little better for walking, given its setup.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Certainly Perimeter is still suburban by its very design, but I think PCID has done a good job with sidewalk and road improvements, lighting, etc. that make the area a little better for walking, given its setup.
Ever seen anyone use it other than jogging? They need to slow traffic and that will encourage more walking.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:27 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times
Quote:
Ever seen anyone use it other than jogging? They need to slow traffic and that will encourage more walking.
I was on a project in Perimeter area for a few months several years ago and even though the office was about 3/4 a mile from the MARTA station it still did not feel welcoming to walk. Cars flying past, walking through parking lots to get to the buildings, and sections without sidewalks. However, the section along the main road was quicker to walk than drive during the evening rush hour haha. I'd wave at drivers that left the office before me as I passed.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:48 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,851 times
Quote:
Ever seen anyone use it other than jogging?
Yes. When I lived there I regularly saw people walking to destinations.

I live in Midtown now and actually miss having so much retail around. There's certainly more to do around here and being able to walk to Piedmont Park is a blessing, but find myself driving more here than I did in Perimeter.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:57 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
Yes. When I lived there I regularly saw people walking to destinations.

I live in Midtown now and actually miss having so much retail around. There's certainly more to do around here and being able to walk to Piedmont Park is a blessing, but find myself driving more here than I did in Perimeter.
What are you needing to drive to? I didn't even own a car when i was living in Midtown.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:40 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
What are you needing to drive to? I didn't even own a car when i was living in Midtown.
Well I don't NEED to drive (I can take MARTA to Perimeter if nothing else), but I do need to leave the area for Home Depot, PetsMart, Best Buy, Apple, REI, etc. I've even had to go to The Container Store. Mac's is OK but Total Wine is better, and I sure miss Alon's. You get the idea. It felt like I had 10x more options within walking distance than I have now. I still prefer living here and the options will grow as more people come, but having lived in both places I actually find Perimeter to be more walkable. Midtown has a nice grid and smaller setbacks but there isn't as much to actually walk to. Most big cities have far more retail scattered around.

Anyway that is way way off topic. Regarding the MARTA expansion, I think it's great news and I hope it happens soon. I think that coupled with more companies wanting to be transit oriented (like State Farm) will really help the 400 corridor and make transit more of a cultural norm for folks in the suburbs. That will be good for everyone.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
Well I don't NEED to drive (I can take MARTA to Perimeter if nothing else), but I do need to leave the area for Home Depot, PetsMart, Best Buy, Apple, REI, etc. I've even had to go to The Container Store. Mac's is OK but Total Wine is better, and I sure miss Alon's. You get the idea. It felt like I had 10x more options within walking distance than I have now. I still prefer living here and the options will grow as more people come, but having lived in both places I actually find Perimeter to be more walkable. Midtown has a nice grid and smaller setbacks but there isn't as much to actually walk to. Most big cities have far more retail scattered around.

Anyway that is way way off topic. Regarding the MARTA expansion, I think it's great news and I hope it happens soon. I think that coupled with more companies wanting to be transit oriented (like State Farm) will really help the 400 corridor and make transit more of a cultural norm for folks in the suburbs. That will be good for everyone.
There is a Home Depot in Midtown and most of the stuff you listed could be bought online, its the 21st century. Do you even Amazon, bro?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta