Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 07:40 PM

37,891 posts, read 41,990,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
I think my comment about the area around Ponce City Market being decent was misunderstood. I was not referring to what it was more than 5 years ago bc I was not living in Atlanta and would not know. What I was saying was that at the time PCM was decided for location there, that area was not gritty. Hence the Whole Foods across the street in the recent years. I was saying that same developmt could have gone into the true downtown. I think it would have been a hit. It could have even been at the Underground, similar to the layout of Pike's Market in Seattle.

What are the three museums that have come to downtown in the last 5-10 years?
The new World of Coke, College Football HOF, and Center for Civil and Human Rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 07:45 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,805,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
|

Why does everything turn into a p***ing for you guys? I personally like downtown Dallas better. That is MY opinion and I am entitled to it. Who cares if El Centro isn't an answer for GSU? Some of you here act as if people don't have the right to like other places more than Atlanta. Good grief!
Why would you bring it up as if it had relevance? GSU is a research institution with a more than 37,000 student body and a major impact on the physical and economic impact of downtown Atlanta.

El.Centro is a community college with less than 11,000 mostly part time students and not huge economic generator.
It makes no sense to even compare.

Had someone said t he presence of many art galleries in Castleberry Hill was an answer to to Dallas Art District.
Youd be all over that

Old 01-14-2015, 07:51 PM

37,891 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Why would you bring it up as if it had relevance? GSU is a research institution with a more than 37,000 student body and a major impact on the physical and economic impact of downtown Atlanta.

El.Centro is a community college with less than 11,000 mostly part time students and not huge economic generator.
It makes no sense to even compare.

Had someone said t he presence of many art galleries in Castleberry Hill was an answer to to Dallas Art District.
Youd be all over that
Precisely...good point.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:39 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,222,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Very interesting, as Arlington has no TRE station. They didn't want one, as they are extremely anti-transit there.

Stations - Trinity Railway Express (TRE)
I live closer to Fort Worth where the train runs. The TRE station is a short ride from my home. There is also shuttle that runs right up the street from my home that goes to the TRE station. That would be the Metro Arlington Xpress:

Metro ArlingtonXpress

And since you are pretty much calling me a liar, I am attaching to this post a picture of my TRE ticket that I purchased to take the train to work on Monday from the Centreport station, given that my Arlington apartment is just a few miles up the road from the station and what not.
Attached Thumbnails
Does Atlanta Have the worst big city downtown in the South?-cam00234.jpg  

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 01-14-2015 at 11:48 PM..

Old 01-15-2015, 12:15 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,942,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I live closer to Fort Worth where the train runs. The TRE station is a short ride from my home. There is also shuttle that runs right up the street from my home that goes to the TRE station. That would be the Metro Arlington Xpress:

Metro ArlingtonXpress

And since you are pretty much calling me a liar, I am attaching to this post a picture of my TRE ticket that I purchased to take the train to work on Monday from the Centreport station, given that my Arlington apartment is just a few miles up the road from the station and what not.
How nice. My point stands, as Centreport isn't IN Arlington, and Arlington is extremely transit poor. It is in fact THE largest city in the U.S. without transit service for its citizens.

I assume you are referring to this very controversial bus route that was just instituted last year. And nobody is calling you a liar, by the way. You just seem to be on a constant bash Atlanta crusade, and constantly play fast and loose with opinion presented as fact.

An excerpt from the local College paper:
Transit system will connect Metroplex to UTA - The Shorthorn : News

"Known as the largest city in the United States without public transportation, Arlington provides options for certain residents such as the Handitran and the Ride2Work programs. The Handitran buses transport elderly and handicapped citizens, while the Ride2Work provides rides to work, job interviews and childcare for qualified people.
Wolff said the last time a public transportation initiative was introduced, in 2002, it was shut down because voters did not want to fund the program through taxpayer money. The MAX buses will be a lot different this time around, she said.
“You need public transportation,” Wolff said. “Any time we’ve tried to spend taxpayer’s money on public transportation, it’s failed. This will be a be a pilot program for the city, UTA and The T and DART.”

This is about ONE bus route to connect a commuter rail station to a suburb of 380,000? This is pathetic.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:55 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,805,481 times
Oh wow look what just came up
http:// http://m.bizjournals.com/atl...age=all&r=full
So a grocery store chain is in talks to come to underground. I'm telling you guys now like I said before. Atlanta's downtown is about to blow up.
That grocery store opening will bring immediate residential building..In 5 years Atlanta will be so much more vibrant.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:20 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,878,856 times
Quote:
Very interesting, as Arlington has no TRE station. They didn't want one, as they are extremely anti-transit there.

Stations - Trinity Railway Express (TRE)
i didn't know dallas had commuter rail. that's actually pretty cool.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:25 AM

i just wanted to say that i have not seen people this aggressive in this forum since they shut out the racists a couple of years ago (and i will admit to being one of the aggressive ones at that time). i really don't know where this thread is going or why everyone is so angry.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:35 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,222,469 times
Quote:
How nice. My point stands, as Centreprt isn't IN Arlington, and Arlington is extremely transit poor. It is in fact THE largest city in the U.S. without transit service for its citizens.

I assume you are referring to this very controversial bus route that was just instituted last year. And nobody is calling you a liar, by the way. You just seem to be on a constant bash Atlanta crusade, and constantly play fast and loose with opinion presented as fact.

An excerpt from the local College paper:
Transit system will connect Metroplex to UTA - The Shorthorn : News

"Known as the largest city in the United States without public transportation, Arlington provides options for certain residents such as the Handitran and the Ride2Work programs. The Handitran buses transport elderly and handicapped citizens, while the Ride2Work provides rides to work, job interviews and childcare for qualified people.
Wolff said the last time a public transportation initiative was introduced, in 2002, it was shut down because voters did not want to fund the program through taxpayer money. The MAX buses will be a lot different this time around, she said.
“You need public transportation,” Wolff said. “Any time we’ve tried to spend taxpayer’s money on public transportation, it’s failed. This will be a be a pilot program for the city, UTA and The T and DART.”

This is about ONE bus route to connect a commuter rail station to a suburb of 380,000? This is pathetic.
Now you are knit picking. I'm not exactly sure what Arlington not having transit has to do with me liking downtown Dallas better than Atlanta. I say I think downtown Dallas had better transit options, you bring up Arlington. Arlington is not Dallas. It is a different city in a completely different county. I say I can easily get to downtown from Arlington by commuter rail, you try to discredit this FACT by bringing up Alington's lack of transit. I know what it doesn't have. I live here. But I also know that where I live in Arlington, I have access to a commuter rail by bus or a very short drive. Does Atlanta have a commuter rail that goes from the burbs into downtown? No if does not. Dallas does though.

Despite the claims that MARTA is better, all I know is this: when I lived in Atlanta and had to commute to work by transit from the burbs into the city and vice versa, it would take me 3-4 hours after taking two buses, two trains AND a taxi. Even though DFW is much bigger, I can get to downtown Dallas on the TRE in 30 minutes from Arlington. Who cares where the line originates? Point is, I can easily get to it.

Say what you want. It doesn't change the fact that I live near the TRE and can easily get to downtown Dallas from Arlington, much easier than I could get around in metro Atlanta. Just because you like to try to get technical and say the TRE isn't in Arlington, that doesn't change that I still live close to it. People do live close to the borders of other cities, you know.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 01-15-2015 at 05:09 AM..

Old 01-15-2015, 05:33 AM

sounds like a tossup between the two honestly. i've never been to dallas, but i am impressed that they have commuter rail between the metro's two largest cities. i'm going to start a city vs. city thread about the transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta