Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2015, 04:48 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,222,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Not much different than someone from Alpharetta claiming they live in Atlanta.
And that's just weird to me lol. I mean I get saying you live in Atlanta to someone not from the area for a point of reference. But to say Atlanta is diverse because of Gwinnett County when Atlanta itself is segregated and not in located Gwinnett County is just bizarre to me.

It's like people just don't want to admit to Atlanta's segregation so they start trying to credit Atlanta with the diversity if other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 05:12 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,283,359 times
The thing with Chicago is predominately black neighborhoods have MUCH cheaper housing... including so much that is great single quaint cottage homes , Greystones and Bungalows. It can be a good thing to afford a great home in predominately black neighborhood then the exact same looking block if mostly white? So less income can gain more. There is very little difference in housing stock between the north and south sides... But pricing can differ greatly.

The problem in Chicago is not bad terrible looking bad neighborhoods in black areas? It is still great looking housing in gang run amok neighborhoods making them less desirable....OVER BEING MOSTLY BLACK. You can get a home in a higher crime mostly black neighborhood for as low as $10,000 to $60,000. When the same home and neighborhood look..... on a more white neighborhood it goes for $200,000 to $300,000. Big part is demand.

Last edited by steeps; 01-13-2015 at 05:21 PM..

Old 01-13-2015, 05:20 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,141,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
When will the people here get that the suburbs are not Atlanta? Maybe because the city can't stand on it's own so they want to take credit for the goings on in separate municipalities that have their own governments and tax systems outside of Atlanta.

Either way, I find it bizarre that people try to credit Atlanta for things outside of it.
Because there's not an invisible wall separating Atlanta from the suburbs...those suburbs exist because of Atlanta. Most economists and analysts use MSA, not municipal limits which vary dramatically from city to city. Don't be an idiot and try to use city limits to push an agenda. Come on now. People commute to the city from the suburbs. People go to the city to eat and entertain themselves from the suburbs. It's not only about who lives in an arbitrary city boundary that can vary from a few dozen square miles to 700+ square miles depending on the city.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Because there's not an invisible wall separating Atlanta from the suburbs...those suburbs exist because of Atlanta. Most economists and analysts use MSA, not municipal limits which vary dramatically from city to city. Don't be an idiot and try to use city limits to push an agenda. Come on now. People commute to the city from the suburbs. People go to the city to eat and entertain themselves from the suburbs. It's not only about who lives in an arbitrary city boundary that can vary from a few dozen square miles to 700+ square miles depending on the city.

So now you want to be insulting. I won't play into that so fine whatever. So basically what you are saying is that the city of Atlanta isn't segregated because Gwinnett County is diverse, despite Atlanta not being in Gwinnett County. That makes complete, logical sense. How could I be soooo ignorant!

And what agenda would that be exactly?

Old 01-13-2015, 05:41 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,749,084 times
Quote:
So now you want to be insulting. I won't play into that so fine whatever. So basically what you are saying is that the city of Atlanta isn't segregated because Gwinnett County is diverse, despite Atlanta not being in Gwinnett County. That makes complete, logical sense. How could I be soooo ignorant!

There isn't a giant wall separating Atlanta and Gwinnett. They're both in the same urban area and Gwinnett is basically just an extension of Atlanta.(If you don't like the word suburb)

Old 01-13-2015, 05:42 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,141,983 times
Quote:

I agree the city itself is pretty segregated, but I tend to look at the overall metro when it comes to diversity, segregation, and the likes, especially in a metro like Atlanta where the city population makes up 8% of the total metro's population compared to Chicago making up more like 25%. The big difference is for example, in Atlanta, only 1 in 9 blacks actually live in the city where as with Chicago, it's more like 1 in 2.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
There isn't a giant wall separating Atlanta and Gwinnett. They're both in the same urban area and Gwinnett is basically just an extension of Atlanta.(If you don't like the word suburb)
Gwinnett is an extension of Atlanta because you say so? Yes it is a suburban county, but it still isn't Atlanta, so stop trying to give Atlanta credit for Gwinnett's diversity when Atlanta is indeed segregated. It speaks volumes when only 400k plus people out of a metro nearly 6 million want to live in the actual city.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
So I think we can all agree that whoever raised Chicago in this thread was nuts bc there is absolutely no comparison.

I proposed one idea for improving the city (getting ppl to keep up their yards intown) but that was shot down. It's hard to look world-class when the "premiere" neighborhoods have yards and home facades that look unkempt. So that is a start. Bringing single family homes to downtown could be another approach to infusing money and bringing up the downtown. I like what was done at Atlantic Station but higher end would be even nicer for downtown. A couple of really nice neighborhoods downtown would dress up the appearance a bit. I'm not talking little craftsman and bungalow houses like you see in Va-Hi o r Inman. I'm talking large, palatial beauties with large green lawns that are raked (lol). Another suggestion I made is for city governmt to stop running Atlanta and suburbs like it is a backwoods country bumpkin town and clean up all of the empty or overrun lots that are eyesores. Grant Park has a ton of these. They are in Candler all over East Atlanta, Mechanicsville, etc. Every intown neighborhood should be as picturesque as City of Atlanta Druid Hills and West Buckhead

Maybe this is my Chicago brain talking, but I don't think that having SFH's is the solution to bringing up the downtown area. There are many single family homes in areas very close to downtown but some of those areas are still pretty run down. There are some neighborhoods near downtown that has seen some improvements over the years. A friend a mine owns a home over there off I-20 once you pass the Holiday in and her neighborhood is pretty nice and constantly improving.

IMO, SFH's and downtown don't go together. To me that takes away from the purpose and aesthetic of what a downtown is supposed to be: a thriving city center full of tall office buildings and sky scrapers, with great public transit, great shopping and dining and lots great things to see and do (downtown Atlanta is definitely lacking in the shopping arena); with the housing stock also being located in tall buildings or sky scrapers, not SFH's.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:30 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,805,481 times
Quote:
And that's just weird to me lol. I mean I get saying you live in Atlanta to someone not from the area for a point of reference. But to say Atlanta is diverse because of Gwinnett County when Atlanta itself is segregated and not in located Gwinnett County is just bizarre to me.

It's like people just don't want to admit to Atlanta's segregation so they start trying to credit Atlanta with the diversity if other cities.
Please stop with the acting like you are not addressing my remarks specifically.Its just childish.

I have never said to you you are lying or you are wrong when you say all this stuff about Atlanta.I have disagreed but always accepted it as your truth regardless how personally outlandish some of the things you have said sounded to me.

So out of mutual respect, please respond in kind.
I have no reason to claim anything but what it is .Atlanta is a city.Not a person

Lets accept only facts and not emotion or personal opinions.

FACT #1:Atlanta r(the city proper)ranks as one of the most intergrated large cities.Its not the most diverse but according every study I could find on the internest and what CKIMBRO has even posted.It is.

Fact 2:Atlanta has one of the largest black middle classes in the countrry.In fact just after D.C.percentage wise.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:44 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,805,481 times
Quote:
Gwinnett is an extension of Atlanta because you say so? Yes it is a suburban county, but it still isn't Atlanta, so stop trying to give Atlanta credit for Gwinnett's diversity when Atlanta is indeed segregated. It speaks volumes when only 400k plus people out of a metro nearly 6 million want to live in the actual city.
Chicago has a metro population of o er 8 million and a city population of 2.5.Still far less than the percentage living in the burbs.

You completely missed his point.You make it sound like that there is some imaginary things that keeps the city less di erse than the suburbs.
It silly because why would many of the suburb s within a 15 min drive be so diverse but the city is so racist and segregated.
Detroit is a good example.its suburbs are extremely segregated and so are many of Chicago's'.
Why is it of greater consequence that Atlanta the (which is not as diverse as many suburbs)somehow be a problem but in other. I cities where it's reverse somehow be okay?
You are based and it'shows.Not once have you even proved your point with statistics and facts . Show me some facts and I'll gladly accept them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta