Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 06:30 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,380,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Hey, guys. Why don't you care for Alex? Some specifics would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 08:59 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Do not vote for Alex Wan in district 6, he is an openly gay man that has done NOTHING for the gay community that helped him get elected in the first place. He is now bending over for the "breeders" (pun intended), that have moved in to predominately gay neighborhoods and he is all about their agenda and himself as well. He is a fraud. He failed with that debacle about the Cheshire Bridge Road clubs trying to close them down so it would be more like Mayberry.
I really like Alex.

Some of the neighborhoods in District 6 have a sizable gay population but it has never been predominantly gay.

Even if that had been true, I can't imagine anything positive coming from divisiveness like calling straight people "breeders." As far as I know -- and we know a good many folks over there -- gay and straight people in district 6 have lived in harmony.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:05 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I really like Alex.

Some of the neighborhoods in District 6 have a sizable gay population but it has never been predominantly gay.

Even if that had been true, I can't imagine anything positive coming from divisiveness like calling straight people "breeders." As far as I know -- and we know a good many folks over there -- gay and straight people in district 6 have lived in harmony.
I hear the term 'breeder' used from time to time by gay men, and never in a pejorative sense. As a mother of three and grandmother of four, it does not offend me at all.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Hey, guys. Why don't you care for Alex? Some specifics would be appreciated. Thanks!
Most of my reservations revolve around Mr. Wan's draconian attempt to shut down legitimate businesses on Cheshire Bridge Road (some of which had been there over 40 years) apparently because they simply don't meet his and his NIMBY minions' aesthetic standards. I also infer that there was a strong distaste by these proponents for the proximity of gay entertainment venues to their neighborhoods. However, not all of the businesses were of that nature; also included on Wan's hit list were a fabric shop, a car wash and a baby furniture store. What really ticked me off was Wan's response to the fact his plans would put a great many people out of work. He replied that the plan would give the businesses six months to get their affairs in order. Wow, what a guy.
Government has no business sticking their nose in this. PERIOD.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:52 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Most of my reservations revolve around Mr. Wan's draconian attempt to shut down legitimate businesses on Cheshire Bridge Road (some of which had been there over 40 years) apparently because they simply don't meet his and his NIMBY minions' aesthetic standards. I also infer that there was a strong distaste by these proponents for the proximity of gay entertainment venues to their neighborhoods. However, not all of the businesses were of that nature; also included on Wan's hit list were a fabric shop, a car wash and a baby furniture store. What really ticked me off was Wan's response to the fact his plans would put a great many people out of work. He replied that the plan would give the businesses six months to get their affairs in order. Wow, what a guy.

BINGO, Thank you...

Old 10-16-2013, 06:15 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,658,434 times
Pay close attention to the school board races and if you haven't researched, don't vote.

My understanding is that the Superintendent selection process has been paused, because top contenders told the selection committee that they wouldn't even interview until elections were over and the board has been assembled. They want to know who they are working for.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:37 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,380,472 times
Quote:
Thanks. I understand. Government does things like that often, though. The churches for a stadium, the homes and businesses for COP, etc. I suppose that some view it as progress. I don't know... I do know that the few times I've called on Alex for help with city stuff, he's been very responsive (dropped by the house to chat about one issue), courteous and helpful. I think his intentions are in the right place, even though we may disagree with the Cheshire Bridge Rd effort.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Thanks. I understand. Government does things like that often, though. The churches for a stadium, the homes and businesses for COP, etc. I suppose that some view it as progress. I don't know... I do know that the few times I've called on Alex for help with city stuff, he's been very responsive (dropped by the house to chat about one issue), courteous and helpful. I think his intentions are in the right place, even though we may disagree with the Cheshire Bridge Rd effort.
Government doing it doesn't excuse it.
I attended one of the meetings for this; that's when I saw the target list and was frankly stunned by the scope of the proposed closings. The alpha NIMBY is a retired fellow from Lenox Park. He walked over to size me up. Im sure he thought a 58 yo grandma would be on his side. He found out otherwise.
The only business that I found controversial on the list was the Onyx Club (there was a shooting in their parking lot, but that was a rare incident). Most every club on CBR has its own security.
There was no real plan for reinventing the corridor; the focus was on shutting businesses down. Visions of Buckhead Village danced in my head.
The aforementioned gentleman seemed most upset by the idea of what goes on behind the walls of the gay clubs. "Well, that's what walls are for," I replied, "So you're not troubled." I did add that my brother and I occasionally drop in on Tuesdays for Country Night at the Heretic (we love line dancing). I told him that he should drop in sometime. That brought out the color in his cheeks.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:31 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,690,758 times
It scares me when I hear people want politicians to get involved in business. Atlanta has been successful because we don't run ourselves like Chicago, NYC, Detroit, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, etc.

Please don't move hear if you have a hipster Williamsburg dream(move to Williamsburg). We do not need a Bill de Blasio politician in our future.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:28 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
Quote:
Alex didn't originate the plan -- he was just doing what his constituents wanted, which is one of the main things politicians are elected to do. The ordinance was strongly supported by the NPU and the local residents. The Cheshire Bridge corridor plan has been in the works for many years.

I thought the sunset period for non-complying businesses was two years, with an option to apply for an extension.

And I don't think it was just about strip clubs. They were trying to upgrade the corridor and make it more pedestrian friendly with better lighting, fewer curb cuts and parking lots at the street, improved sidewalks, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta