Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 06:34 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Not implying so, but the aforementioned excuse does not let him off the hook.
I wasn't offering an excuse for Wan. To the contrary, he was doing what his constituents wanted him to do, and what the community has been working on for 15 years.

Others may disagree with what the area is trying to do, but it's hard to fault Alex for doing what his community asked for. Seems to me he would be more remiss if he simply blew them off.

Last edited by arjay57; 10-17-2013 at 07:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 07:20 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,374,263 times
^^^^^^^^
I know all people have a right to move as they choose, but do not move in to a well established neighborhood and try to modify it to your specifications. This is exactly what has happened to Va Highland and many others I am sure. Va High is still cool, but it has drastically changed during the last 15 years or more. There are more families here than ever before, which is great, but respect the people that were there way before they were. A great example was the Roadhouse restaurant in Va Highland, they use to have dinner, but had so many complaints from people that had gone there for years, the complaint was all of the baby strollers and loud obnoxious out of control children, the regulars stopped going. Yet the "straight" Fathers (sic), were cruising all the guys, lol.

Last edited by bigstick; 10-18-2013 at 07:28 AM..

Old 10-18-2013, 07:32 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,393,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
^^^^^^^^
I know all people have a right to move as they choose, but do not move in to a well established neighborhood and try to modify it to your specifications. .
So, midtown should have remained the drug-dealing, prostitute infested area it was before some entrepreneurial folks - predominantly gays - decided to move in and make it so much better? C'mon. You know better, Big.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:49 AM
fzx

399 posts, read 511,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
So, midtown should have remained the drug-dealing, prostitute infested area it was before some entrepreneurial folks - predominantly gays - decided to move in and make it so much better? C'mon. You know better, Big.
When did drug-dealing and prostitution become legal and protected by laws in GA?

Old 10-18-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzx View Post
When did drug-dealing and prostitution become legal and protected by laws in GA?
That's not the point. The seedy "legal" businesses, vagrants, dilapidated houses and apartments...

Old 10-18-2013, 08:15 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,374,263 times
Quote:
Agree on that one, but the neighborhood that I talked about was doing just fine before the "breeders" moved in from East Cobb, Roswell, etc.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:26 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I wasn't offering an excuse for Wan. To the contrary, he was doing what his constituents wanted him to do, and what the community has been working on for 15 years.

Others may disagree with what the area is trying to do, but it's hard to fault Alex for doing what his community asked for. Seems to me he would be more remiss if he simply blew them off.
Or he could have taken a stand and said that it's against his principles to put honest, taxpaying citizens out of business for the so-called 'greater good'. I would have respected him a lot more.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:33 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times
Election picks from the "Buckhead View": BuckheadView: Commentary: BuckheadView’s city elections choices

Old 10-18-2013, 08:35 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:
We're talking about two different things here.Those that were instrumental in the redevelopment of Midtown did not co-opt local government to force those that didn't fit their vision out of their property.
The people that are being targeted on CBR are not whores and drug dealers. They are legitimate business people.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
We're talking about two different things here.Those that were instrumental in the redevelopment of Midtown did not co-opt local government to force those that didn't fit their vision out of their property.
The people that are being targeted on CBR are not whores and drug dealers. They are legitimate business people.
No, I don't think we really are talking about two different things. But I suppose we can always find some difference between two points of discussion, and say we are comparing apples to oranges. Here, I'm simply talking about two areas that in their histories have a commonality - some where along the line they were pretty seedy and pretty dilapidated. A concerned group of folks tried to make the areas better for all of Atlanta.

Now, we can say the gubmint tried on Cheshire and non-gubmint folks did in Midtown. But, that is really a distinction without a difference.

Not trying to argue with you guys here, but, that happens to be the way I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta