Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 07:17 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
You musn't. The haters will be here in no seconds flat.
The haters will just say its cheap because no one wants to live in Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 08:15 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,467 times
As many people have already noted, location plays a huge role. My guess is that the many steals south of I-20 are what factor largely into this analysis. The problem is that this is a bad location to live commute-wise if you work anywhere north of say, Shallowford Rd or so.

I think that pricing for areas within a ~35 min commute of those areas are probably comparable with other locales.

But yes.. personal income isn't keeping pace :-(

Old 10-24-2013, 09:07 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,292 times
At what point do we stop calling some of these far-flung areas with lots of cheap buildable "Atlanta", and refer to them as South Chattanooga or Macon North?

Old 10-24-2013, 04:02 PM

927 posts, read 2,225,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
At what point do we stop calling some of these far-flung areas with lots of cheap buildable "Atlanta", and refer to them as South Chattanooga or Macon North?
Haha. Seriously!

I do wonder about what another poster said upthread though, in terms of the benefits of sprawl. On one hand it provides a metro area with affordable housing. On the other, it enhances segregation, as you continue to see more and more low income people of color in far out suburbs, and Atlanta doesn't have the public transportation infrastructure to incorporate them in the business activity of the central city.

Lots of European cities are like this (i.e. minorities in the suburbs) but they also have decent bus and rail to transport people to jobs, culture, and the like.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:54 PM

70 posts, read 161,820 times
Does this mean Atlanta Proper or the metro atlanta area in general? If it is the metro then that makes sense...but Atlanta itself? No way!

Old 10-24-2013, 05:36 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
Haha. Seriously!

I do wonder about what another poster said upthread though, in terms of the benefits of sprawl. On one hand it provides a metro area with affordable housing. On the other, it enhances segregation, as you continue to see more and more low income people of color in far out suburbs, and Atlanta doesn't have the public transportation infrastructure to incorporate them in the business activity of the central city.

Lots of European cities are like this (i.e. minorities in the suburbs) but they also have decent bus and rail to transport people to jobs, culture, and the like.
Bingo!

Old 10-24-2013, 06:11 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
The haters will just say its cheap because no one wants to live in Atlanta.
Which accounts for its growth rate.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:52 PM

924 posts, read 1,455,160 times
What a misleading article title. Atlanta has the most affordable housing of the largest 25 US cities. Kind of hard to say that is the most affordable in the whole country.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:27 AM

4,685 posts, read 6,133,422 times
Its called location, location, location.

My 10yr old townhome in Decatur was $130K brand new and was worth $133K in 2009 and after the housing bust, Dekalb county now thinks it is worth $45K for a almost 1500 sq ft townhome. Meanwhile My coworkers small 20+ yr old town home is worth over 150K simply because it is in Alpharetta.

What the article fails to say is if you want a nice house in Atlanta, in Vinings, Brookhaven, Buckhead, Emory, City of Decatur, Dunwoody and Northward up 400, or pretty much any non black area you are going to pay alot of money for basic houses and very nice houses are $300K-400K+, while those houses in S.Dekalb or S Fulton are 100-200K+ cheaper.

Most of the deals are either in the "undesirable area" aka black neighborhoods or 15-30 minutes outside of 285 and 30min-1hr outside of downtown with a 1hr + commute to work that leads to the traffic mess Atlanta has every morning.

I still don't think a better school system warrants a 100K-200K+ premium on a house.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:29 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I still don't think a better school system warrants a 100K-200K+ premium on a house.
It might not in a state with a better school system. In Georgia, the bad school systems are *really* bad (like, lose-your-accreditation-bad).

I can understand parents' willingness to toss an extra hundred or two onto a mortgage if it means their kid ostensibly has a better shot at a future.

Better schools aren't just about better test scores. Just ask the private school crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta