Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 07:09 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,631,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
This. Idk when I finally noticed how horrible it looked, but when I did, I was embarrassed lol. There's really nothing that could be done unless the whole area redevelops with the Beltline coming through, which probally won't happen for another 20-30 years if at all...

I say the exact same thing every time I take Marta to the airport
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 07:15 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,222,469 times
MARTA rail going south goes into poor neighborhoods, so that fact that they look bad isn't going to change much. I think it's kind of silly to think that local government needs to clean up that part of the city just because it's the train coming from the airport and we need to somehow hide from visitors that there's poverty in this city.

Every city in this country has nice areas and poor areas. Anyone with common sense coming here from out of town would know that. Why try to put up some front that all of Atlanta is safe, clean and prosperous? The only thing that can be done to clean up the areas mentioned as to impress visitors coming in from the airport is to relocate the poor population out of that area. And why should these people be moved to make the city look good to out-of-towners? It's not as if visitors don't have poor and run down areas where they live as well.

The reality is that there are lots of poor people in the city and many of those poor people live by the airport and along the southbound MARTA route. And unfortunately a lot of those poor people tear up their neighborhoods. But I think the idea that something needs to be done to basically hide that from visitors is a little far-fetched.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:28 AM

687 posts, read 745,395 times
I agree that the view isn't the best but it certainly isn't a 'problem' that only Atlanta has.

Get the Heathrow Express into London Paddington and your view over the final 3 miles is almost exclusively graffiti, underpasses and industrial buildings. Not the best first impression of one of the worlds truly great cities.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post
I agree that the view isn't the best but it certainly isn't a 'problem' that only Atlanta has.

Get the Heathrow Express into London Paddington and your view over the final 3 miles is almost exclusively graffiti, underpasses and industrial buildings. Not the best first impression of one of the worlds truly great cities.
Exactly. Poor, run-down areas exist in major cities all over the world and Atlanta is no exception. So why try to put up a front as to impress visitors?

Old 11-19-2013, 07:37 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
Quote:
The reality is that there are lots of poor people in the city and many of those poor people live by the airport
Why would the upper class want to live close to a noisy, pollution filled airport. I think HJIA is a big part of why the southside is poor.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:55 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,963,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Why would the upper class want to live close to a noisy, pollution filled airport. I think HJIA is a big part of why the southside is poor.
I doubt it. That's not the case with O'hare, Dulles, Reagan, just off the top of my head...

Old 11-19-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
I doubt it. That's not the case with O'hare, Dulles, Reagan, just off the top of my head...
I was just about to say that.

Being that I'm not a native Atlantan, I can't speak as to what the condition was of south Atlanta near the airport prior to it being built.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:03 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
It predates the airport, believe me. The Southside has been depressed for as long as I can remember, and I can remember back to 1960.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:05 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,701,182 times
The Atlanta metro south side has tended toward the blue collar type of economics for decades. It never had a large scale residential area the size of or as wealthy as Buckhead.
I would need to see proof positive though to believe that the location of the airport in that area has been a major factor toward keeping it that way.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:06 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,850,821 times
Quote:
The route is an eye sore because it was heavily industrial before the de-industrialization of the US. it costs a lot of money for land reclamation of polluted soil and tearing down buildings. Also, this area is the southside and suffers from a lack of investment and stigma about the area.

PS its just MARTA, not the Marta. I can tell you are not very exposed to living in a big city and using transit.
Sorry, traveled from NY up to Ct for many years via Metro North , never was bothered with people asking for money ect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta