Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 04:28 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,444,619 times

Advertisements

Graffiti, half torn down building is our first introduction to the city for visitors. Why want the City of Atlanta, East Point, Marta beautify the route. While approaching Oakland city you have horrible folk art and graffiti. Then from Oakland city to West End, you have huge abandon buildings and graffiti again. Can graffiti be removed or will it be pointless. Could they get real artists to paint something pretty that graffiti people would respect and leave alone. It's not a good look for first time visitors.

I also notice graffiti starting to spread in Buckhead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 04:35 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,850,821 times
I was terrified the first time taking the Marta , being stared at, people asking me for money,woman threw up across from me, couldn't wait to get off, I heard they had security traveling on every train, I didnt see any.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:36 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,374,596 times
Oh Brother, this is in every city with subway, heavy rail. Look at NYC, PHILLY, BOSTON, it ain't pretty.

Last edited by bigstick; 11-19-2013 at 06:10 AM..

Old 11-19-2013, 05:42 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,631,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Oh Brother, this is in every city with subway, heavy rail.
Yes. You can tell who hasn't traveled anywhere before lol

Old 11-19-2013, 06:25 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,394,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Yes. You can tell who hasn't traveled anywhere before lol
That's beside the point, Gerry. It doesn't matter who has travelled a lot or not. The route is still an eye sore.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:30 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,881,248 times
These same "sights" are able to be seen from streets too. This is not a MARTA problem unless it is something on their property, which they are actually pretty good at keeping cleaned up. But there will always be some neighborhoods that are worse than others, and they will seem "scary" to those who are not exposed to them, rather it is driving by in a car or train.

Last edited by jsvh; 11-19-2013 at 07:39 AM..

Old 11-19-2013, 07:00 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,631,521 times
I actually agree with the OP but everything can't look like Buckhead

Old 11-19-2013, 07:03 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
The route is an eye sore because it was heavily industrial before the de-industrialization of the US. it costs a lot of money for land reclamation of polluted soil and tearing down buildings. Also, this area is the southside and suffers from a lack of investment and stigma about the area.
Quote:
I was terrified the first time taking the Marta , being stared at, people asking me for money,woman threw up across from me, couldn't wait to get off, I heard they had security traveling on every train, I didnt see any.
PS its just MARTA, not the Marta. I can tell you are not very exposed to living in a big city and using transit.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:04 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,963,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
I actually agree with the OP but everything can't look like Buckhead
This. Idk when I finally noticed how horrible it looked, but when I did, I was embarrassed lol. There's really nothing that could be done unless the whole area redevelops with the Beltline coming through, which probally won't happen for another 20-30 years if at all...

Old 11-19-2013, 07:07 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,701,182 times
The approach in from the airport certainly is gritty & not attractive but with the myriad of properties & owners along the route, I'm not sure how much the various municipalities along there can do to improve the look at this point. Oftentimes old railroad corridors/rights of way, which the South Line route is, declined over a period of decades & became eyesores in many cities & towns.
Experienced MARTA train riders of long standing may recall that much of the East Line between King Memorial & where the line goes under ground after passing to the east of the East Lake station used to be similarly unnattractive. While still gritty in some areas, that East Line has improved drastically because of the redevelopment of the corridor with business & residential construction. The Inman Park & Candler Park areas have witnessed the biggest turnaround in that rail corridor but even the area near the King Memorial station has improved markedly.
That redevelopment was driven by demand in the market . Any such large scale change along the South Line may have to be similarly driven for it to take hold & bring about a meaningful improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta