Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 08:05 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,666 times

Advertisements

Hi 1Mom,

Just to clarify, I'm not sure if Sandy Springs has this type of program. You could probably call and check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mom2Boys View Post
This is exactly the information I was looking for. I've benefitted from this type of thing once before. I do not get tickets frequently (this is my second in ten years) and the first was removed from my record simply because I showed up to court and payed the full fine (that was Duluth). I'm not sure they will give me a second chance to be a first offender (because I'm sure the court sees the first ticket - they just can't use it against me) and I also wasn't sure if Sandy Springs did that sort of thing. I think you can only plead nolo once in a certain time frame, so I probably would not do that since this would presumably be the first of any points assessed against me.

I will probably take the time to head out there. Even if they don't offer me a "deal" at least I'll know I tried...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 08:31 AM

759 posts, read 1,357,226 times
This is interesting to hear. When I moved here to Baltimore and got a moving violation ticket (so long ago I forget the offense), I was prepared to pay the ticket by mail and be done with it. My landlord advised me to go to court and plead guilty with an excuse, which he claimed would lessen the fine and keep any points from being added to my record. I was skeptical, but took a half-day from work and went to court-it was a long procedure, because at that time the City did not have separate traffic courts, so I had to wait through the docket mingled with traffic and petty crimes and citation cases. Lo and behold, my fine was cut to court costs and no points added to my license.
Having grown up in Sandy Springs long before incorporation, I was pretty shocked. My experiences in Georgia were much different-once I waited until my court date to pay a speeding ticket in Fulton county, and the judge at the court annex building on Roswell Rd. castigated me for not simply paying the ticket in a timely manner and wasting his time, doubled the fine, assessed court costs and I got points added. Customs vary greatly state-by-state, and I don't know how much things have changed down South.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:16 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
This is interesting to hear. When I moved here to Baltimore and got a moving violation ticket (so long ago I forget the offense), I was prepared to pay the ticket by mail and be done with it. My landlord advised me to go to court and plead guilty with an excuse, which he claimed would lessen the fine and keep any points from being added to my record. I was skeptical, but took a half-day from work and went to court-it was a long procedure, because at that time the City did not have separate traffic courts, so I had to wait through the docket mingled with traffic and petty crimes and citation cases. Lo and behold, my fine was cut to court costs and no points added to my license.
Having grown up in Sandy Springs long before incorporation, I was pretty shocked. My experiences in Georgia were much different-once I waited until my court date to pay a speeding ticket in Fulton county, and the judge at the court annex building on Roswell Rd. castigated me for not simply paying the ticket in a timely manner and wasting his time, doubled the fine, assessed court costs and I got points added. Customs vary greatly state-by-state, and I don't know how much things have changed down South.
Well things have changed greatly.

Old school mentality is to just pay but if you are smart you will fight. And if you fight, most times your efforts will be rewarded.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:55 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:
Judgment abounds...

Well, yes, it does. Speed is one of the few things under your control. You choose to speed and take a calculated risk that you won't be caught. You got caught. *shrug* To paraphrase Indiana Jones: "You choose . . . poorly."

As I told both of my kids when they got their license: "You can't control what the other driver does, you can't control the condition of the road, and you can't control the weather. The one thing you CAN control is your speed and obeying the traffic signals. If you get a speeding ticket, I will take your license and your car until you can afford your own insurance, because I sure as heck am not paying for you to be stupid."

I think the point the other poster(s) were trying to make is that kids are precious cargo, and mistakes can happen in an instant, especially on that part of 400, when people are merging like crazy from both sides of the highway.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:38 PM

69 posts, read 184,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
As I told both of my kids when they got their license: "You can't control what the other driver does, you can't control the condition of the road, and you can't control the weather. The one thing you CAN control is your speed and obeying the traffic signals.
All good points. However, I would argue that there are other things one can do to promote one's safety on the road. One such thing is to take defensive driving courses. My husband and I have both participated in driving schools in which defensive driving is a necessary component and we plan on enrolling our children as soon as they are of age. I'm not arguing that knowing how to respond to safety hazards is a guarantee of saftey. However, I think that arming ourselves with tools to address road hazards is as important as instilling fear of the things we cannot control.

Accidents can happen in any lane of the highway. Driving slow is no guarantee of safety. IMHO, confidence, awareness and good sense will take you further, safer.

Last edited by 1Mom2Boys; 01-14-2014 at 03:57 PM..

Old 01-14-2014, 03:54 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Interesting, Mattie. How much did they knock off? I'm assuming, no super speeder fine as well, correct?
Yes, the Super Speeder penalty was also struck off. I think the fine ended up being based on doing 78 mph in a 70. I didn't even call to get the charges reduced. My son thought he had to appear in court, and he was leaving the country before his court date. I was only trying to get the court date rescheduled. All the rest was freely offered by the court clerk.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:16 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:
All good points. However, I would argue that there are other things one can do to promote one's safety on the road. One such thing is to take defensive driving courses. My husband and I have both participated in driving schools in which defensive driving is a necessary component and we plan on enrolling our children as soon as they are of age. I'm not arguing that knowing how to respond to safety hazards is a guarantee of saftey. However, I think that arming ourselves with tools to address road hazards is as important as instilling fear of the things we cannot control.

Accidents can happen in any lane of the highway. Driving slow is no guarantee of safety. IMHO, confidence, awareness and good sense will take you further, safer.
One of the road hazards, of course, being people who are speeding . . . :-) I didn't say drive slow like a church-mouse. I'm just suggesting don't exceed the speed limit -- which, given the penalties, might also be considered "good sense."

One of the best classes for teen drivers is the TVOC classes, known as Police Training for Young Drivers. Superb class that really puts them through their paces in a safe, highly saturated learning environment. Hope it's still around when your little ones get to that age - the instructors also teach police cadets defensive and offensive driving. So cool!

Old 01-14-2014, 07:01 PM

69 posts, read 184,534 times
TVOC classes sound great. I do hope they have them around in 10 years!

Old 01-14-2014, 07:13 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
If you want to do something about the ticket I can't seen any downside to showing up or at least giving them a call to see if there are any options.

I have to agree with others that speeding is a really dangerous thing and totally within our own control.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:38 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,936,117 times
Quote:
Got caught speeding on 400N at 285. I'm wondering whether it's worth my time to show up at court or if I should just pay the ticket and save myself the hassle. I know that appearances in other jurisdictions can be advantageous by way of points reduction or removal/expungement of the ticket. Looking for experiences in Sandy Springs, specifically.
My son got a speeding ticket in Sandy Springs and I accompanied him to court and watched the goings-on. The judge repeatedly told people that if they were there for a simple speeding ticket (not a Super Speeder) and had a clean driving record that they should gather in a line to speak privately with a soliciter to discuss the charges. Almost every person who did that had their charges reduced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta