Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 02:20 PM

155 posts, read 206,909 times

Advertisements

Confederate flag approved for specialty license plate in Georgia - CBS News I just wish we could all just let the past stay in the past and live peacefully amongst each other like Jesus intended for us. This whole issue caused a terrible violent riot back in 2002 when I was in middle school living in South Georgia. What started out as a normal friendship picture day quickly escalated into Civil War 2. Eventually students that weren't a minority had to be evacuated..There was so much tension afterwards. There are two sides to every story but honestly I wish this confederate flag issue would just die away. I really don't like it because of what my older grandparents seen and went through. It's just a chilling reminder of the old south for them who had to watch their friends and families get killed under this flag. It also opens up old wounds of when I was growing up in South Georgia. It wasn't just white against black it was black against white as well. You want to believe that racism is over with until this flag issue comes up again and again..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 06:17 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,198,865 times
I won't debate whether people have the "right" to display a license plate with the Confederate flag. I will however comment on the poor taste and tone deafness associated with doing it.

First, this notion that the Confederacy and the Confederate flag are divorced from slavery and racism is complete nonsense. The southern states seceding was squarely about the election of Lincoln and rise of the "Radical Republicans" and the growing political power of abolitionists. To say the Civil War was about "states' rights" is like saying the US joining WWII was about "naval base security" or 9/11/2001 was about "architectural destruction."

When you then look at further historical context of Reconstruction and into the mid-20th century and the civil rights era, the Confederate flag was used by the KKK and southerners as a symbol of segregation, Jim Crow, and racism.

Frankly, could you imagine the German gov't putting swastikas on license plates of German veterans of WWII? After all, it's a part of their "heritage"...right?

Old 02-21-2014, 06:52 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I won't debate whether people have the "right" to display a license plate with the Confederate flag. I will however comment on the poor taste and tone deafness associated with doing it.

First, this notion that the Confederacy and the Confederate flag are divorced from slavery and racism is complete nonsense. The southern states seceding was squarely about the election of Lincoln and rise of the "Radical Republicans" and the growing political power of abolitionists. To say the Civil War was about "states' rights" is like saying the US joining WWII was about "naval base security" or 9/11/2001 was about "architectural destruction."

When you then look at further historical context of Reconstruction and into the mid-20th century and the civil rights era, the Confederate flag was used by the KKK and southerners as a symbol of segregation, Jim Crow, and racism.

Frankly, could you imagine the German gov't putting swastikas on license plates of German veterans of WWII? After all, it's a part of their "heritage"...right?
I was frankly shocked that the state would even consider this. It should be obvious to anyone but a total pinhead what kind of emotions this image conjures. Why go there?

Old 02-21-2014, 07:02 AM

858 posts, read 1,385,949 times
Being offended is a choice. You've chosen unwisely.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:08 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,266,282 times
I don't like what the flag represents and how it's been used, but folks have a right to fly it. However, it's a mistake for the State of Georgia to endorse it.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:10 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,124,067 times
These plates are not new, and date back to at least the mid-90s:

Old 02-21-2014, 07:13 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times
For many, many years I never gave the stars and bars the least thought, but with all the uproar and focus over it, and the attacks on anyone that displays it, I almost feel compelled to display one in defiance to political correctness.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:13 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,198,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
Being offended is a choice. You've chosen unwisely.
I'm not offended. I'm surprised people can be that stupid. I'm also surprised some people don't have the common sense to see what's pretty obvious.

You've chosen to be tone deaf and insensitive. You've chosen unwisely.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:32 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,851 times
I'm usually very for pro-right pro-choice for everything and anything because all life is is an amalgamate of choices. Not everyone is created equally. We've had classes since the dawn on time. We've had skirmishes since the dawn of time. We've had successful empires and unsuccessful empires and their respective races/ethnic groups/countries since the dawn of time which has affected our modern societies.

Boundaries must be drawn. Yesterday, in Germany two 90 year old Nazi guards were arrested for war crimes. Jews were hated and scorned back then and many are still today.

And in America? A confederate license plate. Blacks were hated and scorned back then and many are still today.

Not good.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:42 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,143,192 times
Quote:
I almost feel compelled to display one in defiance to political correctness.
To be PC is the view supporting the flag of treason, not opposing.

It has no place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta