Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 09:33 AM

10 posts, read 13,072 times

Advertisements

We are possibly relocating from NJ to Atlanta. My wife will be working in Sandy Springs. We are planning on visiting this coming weekend but I don't think we'll be able to gauge workweek traffic. She currently works in the office only 2 days a week and we are hoping that won't change if we relocate. I'd like to get an idea of the commutes to Sandy Springs (Perimeter Center) from some of the areas we are looking at houses in. Here in NJ, she currently commutes about 45 mins-1 hour from 6:30a-7:30a leaving early to beat traffic and 4p-5p coming home.

Some of the areas we are looking at and what Google maps shows for directions to Perimeter Center:

Suwanee: I-85
John's Creek: 141 to I-285
Woodstock: I-75 to I-285
Roswell: 9 to GA400
Northern areas (Milton, Alpharetta): GA400

What are some of these roads like during the workweek? I know that 400 is heavily-congested. What is it like at 6:30a-7a? Thanks in advance.

Also, if there are any NJ transplants that want to direct message me with any advice that would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 09:44 AM

7,357 posts, read 6,525,292 times
Suwanee: 1 hour to 1.5 hours during peak time
John's Creek: 30 minutes to 1.25 hours depending on where in John's Creek
Woodstock: 1 hour to 1.5 hours during peak time.
Roswell: 20-40 minutes peak time, though varies depending on where in Roswell.
Northern Areas: 20-60 minutes peak time again depending on where.

Depending on where in Perimeter Center she works, MARTA would likely be a good option, though it's only really usable if you're somewhere up GA-400 such as Roswell or Alpharetta, she'd drive to a park and ride lot, ride the bus to North Springs station, then use the rail to either Sandy Springs or Dunwoody. No less time usually, but far less stress and frustration. Some of the park and ride buses do serve local stops north of the park and ride lots so you may be lucky enough to relocate along one of them in which case the bus is even better!

Old 03-03-2014, 10:09 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,438 times
personally, I'd choose Roswell out of your choices.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:19 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryJr View Post
We are possibly relocating from NJ to Atlanta. My wife will be working in Sandy Springs. We are planning on visiting this coming weekend but I don't think we'll be able to gauge workweek traffic. She currently works in the office only 2 days a week and we are hoping that won't change if we relocate. I'd like to get an idea of the commutes to Sandy Springs (Perimeter Center) from some of the areas we are looking at houses in. Here in NJ, she currently commutes about 45 mins-1 hour from 6:30a-7:30a leaving early to beat traffic and 4p-5p coming home.

Some of the areas we are looking at and what Google maps shows for directions to Perimeter Center:

Suwanee: I-85
John's Creek: 141 to I-285
Woodstock: I-75 to I-285
Roswell: 9 to GA400
Northern areas (Milton, Alpharetta): GA400

What are some of these roads like during the workweek? I know that 400 is heavily-congested. What is it like at 6:30a-7a? Thanks in advance.

Also, if there are any NJ transplants that want to direct message me with any advice that would be great.
Roswell (which is located immediately north of Sandy Springs), Alpharetta (located immediately to the northeast of Roswell), and Milton would offer the shortest commutes while Woodstock (by way of Interstates 575, 75 and 285) and Suwanee (by of PIB (Peachtree Industrial Blvd) or I-85 and I-285) would be the longest commutes.

Commutes from and to Johns Creek would fall somewhere in between and some JC commutes can be done without using GA 141 which like Interstates 575, 75 and 285 from Woodstock and PIB or I-85 and I-285 from Suwanee (and GA 400) gets really heavy after about 6:45am.

From which ever location you family chooses to live, your wife can beat the worst of the morning rush hour traffic by leaving NO LATER than 6:30am, particularly if you decide to move to either Woodstock, Suwanee, Milton or Johns Creek.

The afternoon rush hour commute could be a bit more challenging than the morning rush hour commute, particularly if you move to Woodstock (and must use Interstates 285, 75 and 575) or Suwanee (and must use I-285 and either PIB or I-85), though the absolute worst of the worst of the afternoon/evening rush usually occurs roughly about 4:45pm or later.

Rush hour commutes will be worse (sometimes much worse) if there is inclement weather, traffic collisions or even something as minor as a light mist and wet pavement.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:29 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,820,665 times
I guess the first thing I'd wonder is why not just consider living it Sandy Springs? It extends ITP (inside the perimeter) and OTP (outside the perimeter).

Sticking to your list (in order of convenience), I'd select Roswell, Woodstock, and then Alpharetta. If you lived in Roswell, depending on where she'd be working in Sandy Springs she could just take Roswell Rd and avoid the freeway altogether.

What are some of your other considerations? Do you have children, want easy access to public transit, price range, etc?

Old 03-03-2014, 10:36 AM

550 posts, read 989,302 times
East Cobb would also work. The Timber Ridge school zone for example.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:12 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
You can use 511ga.org to look at during rush hours. It has plenty of traffic cameras so you can kinda see how things are. Traffic wise 400 is your best bet. One major reason is not having to deal with 285 at all. 400 NB isn't too bad in the afternoon. SB in the morning is worse.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:41 PM

329 posts, read 638,164 times
I would suggest Dunwoody and Peachtree corners as well.

If I am limited to only the choices that the OP gave, I would pick Roswell, then Alpharetta / Milton. That would limit my highway commute to only GA-400.

I dont know about the merge from 285 to 75N, but from experience, 285 to 85N is really bad.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:03 PM

10 posts, read 13,072 times
Thanks for all of the info so far. We really haven't decided on any one area yet. This weekend's trip will help us get a feel for these areas as it's hard to judge based on looking at realtor listings and Google maps.

We have a child that is 2 1/2 years old. At the top of our want list is good schools and a good neighborhood with other kids. We don't want to be too far removed from shopping, restaurants, parks, etc.

The houses we've been looking at are in the $260K range...4 or more bedrooms. When the idea of possibly relocating came up and I started looking at what $260K can buy there compared to NJ I was surprised (and excited.)

Old 03-03-2014, 02:22 PM

197 posts, read 515,842 times
As others have said I would also look into East Cobb. It's right next to Sandy Springs with access to shopping/restaurants. You could take Johnson Ferry Rd to Riverside Drive or Abernathy Rd and avoid the highway. I've been on those roads during rush hour plenty of times and while there is traffic it's not too terrible earlier in the morning. There are also some homes in your price range in that area. I have a friend who recently sold a really nice East Cobb home that was fully remodeled (Including basement with a full second kitchen) , 4 bedrooms, three baths, two car garage, and nice sized front and back yard for $220k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta