Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 10:16 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Not much else you can do when the government rams a giant freeway and a heavy rail line through the middle of your neighborhood.

I'll have to give those folks credit for making lemonade when they were handed lemons. A lot of places might have folded up but they hung in there and knitted their community back together. It's super nice up that way.

Opening of the Buckhead MARTA station pedestrian bridge will help reconnecting areas that were split by 400. It should open later this month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 10:17 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,777,056 times
It is a mostly grade separated biking, walking path that runs straight from Lindbergh with a connection to Lenox and the rest of the Buckhead CBD. For tens of thousands of people living in apartments and condos in Lindbergh and in Buckhead without yards and subdivision style streets this is HUGE.

However, if I can steer this back to one of lovely summer's points... maybe they should make more of an effort to make a trail extension following the floodplain of the creek bed going towards Chastain, rather than continuing north along GA400.

Connecting people to a larger entertainment center and public park is a huge bonus. The neighborhoods going north are more sparse, than neighborhoods closer to Roswell Rd.

There might be more public resistance against, since people's backyards meet that creek bed.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
It is a mostly grade separated biking, walking path that runs straight from Lindbergh with a connection to Lenox and the rest of the Buckhead CBD. For tens of thousands of people living in apartments and condos in Lindbergh and in Buckhead without yards and subdivision style streets this is HUGE.

However, if I can steer this back to one of lovely summer's points... maybe they should make more of an effort to make a trail extension following the floodplain of the creek bed going towards Chastain, rather than continuing north along GA400.

Connecting people to a larger entertainment center and public park is a huge bonus. The neighborhoods going north are more sparse, than neighborhoods closer to Roswell Rd.

There might be more public resistance against, since people's backyards meet that creek bed.
It could be tough to build anything in the floodplain. The impermeable surface could add to runoff, but its a great idea.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:04 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,186,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhsweetconcord View Post
There has been some really great work put into this. This strikes me more like a bigger, longer Freedom Park Trail than anything resembling the Betline. It has some great potential to alter and supplement development patterns between south of Lindbergh up to the Buckhead business district. If the trail grade can be kept to moderate levels, then Bike commuting could become a serious possibility for many more Atlantans.
Agreed. Buckhead's Beltine is ummm ....The Beltline.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:43 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
Agreed. Buckhead's Beltine is ummm ....The Beltline.
The only place I've heard this likened to the Beltline is the article on Curbed.com.

This is obviously a different project, although it will connect to the Beltline.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
maybe they should make more of an effort to make a trail extension following the floodplain of the creek bed going towards Chastain, rather than continuing north along GA400.
I thought I read that an extension to Chastain was in in the works.

However, since they've already got the 400 right of way from GDOT, it seems like they'd do that as well. As I recall Sandy springs is supposed to be developing its trail system southward.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:08 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,777,056 times
Quote:
I thought I read that an extension to Chastain was in in the works.

However, since they've already got the 400 right of way from GDOT, it seems like they'd do that as well. As I recall Sandy springs is supposed to be developing its trail system southward.
What would make this really good is if this eventually connected to Sandy Springs, Roswell, Alpharetta and into Forsyth.

As is there is only a short gap between Forsyth and Alpharetta and between Alpharetta and Roswell.

That leaves the loooong problematic gap of Sandy Springs.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
What would make this really good is if this eventually connected to Sandy Springs, Roswell, Alpharetta and into Forsyth.

As is there is only a short gap between Forsyth and Alpharetta and between Alpharetta and Roswell.

That leaves the loooong problematic gap of Sandy Springs.
And 285/400 interchange.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
And 285/400 interchange.
If a cyclist builds up a good head of steam before entering the interchange there's a chance he could make it across.

But you can't be messing around.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
If a cyclist builds up a good head of steam before entering the interchange there's a chance he could make it across.

But you can't be messing around.
But what about those thugs from Atlanta, riding the PATH to North Fulton and committing crimes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta