Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2014, 11:48 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,813,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
What does a skyline or a big rock have to do with world-class? Also, there are 12 metro areas which have a franchise of the four major US sports, Atlanta isn't one of them.

Atlanta is an important city, but world-class it is not. There are only a handful of cities that can claim that title with little argument.
These things make us world class in my opinion.

What do you think it takes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 12:54 PM

925 posts, read 1,334,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
It always strikes me as odd that the cities that are not "world class" are the ones that are growing the fastest, while the populations of "world class" cities like New York would be declining if not for immigrants. It almost seems as though most people prefer spacious residential neighborhoods, a good climate, low cost of living, and robust, diversified economies over the features that are typically described as essential to "world class" cities.
Because world class cities become too expensive for mere mortals to stay.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:48 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,266,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
Because world class cities become too expensive for mere mortals to stay.
No, that doesn't appear to be the case. First, many very expensive cities do not demonstrate the same population dynamics. Second, of course, many of the immigrants arriving in New York are much less wealthy than the people who leave the city every year.

I do agree that it can be easier for "mere mortals" to sustain a high quality of life in a city like Atlanta than in New York. That was kinda my point.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:52 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,641,742 times
Quote:
No, that doesn't appear to be the case. First, many very expensive cities do not demonstrate the same population dynamics. Second, of course, many of the immigrants arriving in New York are much less wealthy than the people who leave the city every year.

I do agree that it can be easier for "mere mortals" to sustain a high quality of life in a city like Atlanta than in New York. That was kinda my point.
Cameron, although many of the immigrants who arrive to live there maybe less wealthy than the average NYer, but NYC has become another place for the "global 1%" to stash their cash.

Why New York Real Estate Is the New Swiss Bank Account -- New York Magazine

Old 08-05-2014, 03:23 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,266,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Cameron, although many of the immigrants who arrive to live there maybe less wealthy than the average NYer, but NYC has become another place for the "global 1%" to stash their cash.
No doubt! That's why I said "many of the immigrants" as opposed to "all of the immigrants" or even "most of the immigrants." And I'm not bashing immigrants -- I agreed with your statement earlier in the thread that immigrants have made huge contributions to New York!

I've never lived in a world-class city for an extended period of time: LA for a year (if you count it; some don't), New York and Moscow for maximum stretches of three months. But in my experience, everyday life in "world-class" cities is often rather difficult for the 99%. They lack some of the conveniences and benefits of more modest cities, and you find that you rarely get to enjoy those features that make them "world-class." You're too busy going to work, raising your kids, and riding that world-class public transportation for two to four hours a day.

New York, in my view, is a great place to visit and a lousy place to live.* Atlanta is the opposite. It just strikes me as ironic that we so often consider the cities that are lousy places to live "world-class." I mean, cities are "for" lots of things, but it seems to me that being good places to live should be at the top of that list.

* Really just for families of low or middle income. If you're young and single, and/or if you're wealthy, I don't believe living in a "world-class" city would be lousy at all.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:43 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,143,170 times
NYC, LA, SF, Chicago, Boston, and D.C. are probably the only cities in this country that can say they are world class.

Atlanta's close to being a world class metro, but not a world class city.

Hell, IMO, Seattle is more of a world class city than Atlanta is.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:17 PM

109 posts, read 151,923 times
I agree. Seattle is definitely more of a real city than Atl.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:27 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,125,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlofCardigan View Post
I agree. Seattle is definitely more of a urbanized city than Atl.
Fixed that for you.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:27 PM

927 posts, read 2,227,038 times
Quote:
No doubt! That's why I said "many of the immigrants" as opposed to "all of the immigrants" or even "most of the immigrants." And I'm not bashing immigrants -- I agreed with your statement earlier in the thread that immigrants have made huge contributions to New York!

I've never lived in a world-class city for an extended period of time: LA for a year (if you count it; some don't), New York and Moscow for maximum stretches of three months. But in my experience, everyday life in "world-class" cities is often rather difficult for the 99%. They lack some of the conveniences and benefits of more modest cities, and you find that you rarely get to enjoy those features that make them "world-class." You're too busy going to work, raising your kids, and riding that world-class public transportation for two to four hours a day.

New York, in my view, is a great place to visit and a lousy place to live.* Atlanta is the opposite. It just strikes me as ironic that we so often consider the cities that are lousy places to live "world-class." I mean, cities are "for" lots of things, but it seems to me that being good places to live should be at the top of that list.

* Really just for families of low or middle income. If you're young and single, and/or if you're wealthy, I don't believe living in a "world-class" city would be lousy at all.
I agree wholeheartedly! That's why it's so silly for city leaders and boosters to tout Atlanta as world class--the people who are here love it for a reason so the puffery is unnecessary.

I have a love-hate relationship with New York, and it edges closer to hate. I am so glad Atlanta is *not* like NYC and rue the day that it ever gets close to it. Just being able to breathe and live, enjoy sun, and still have a ton to do (and eat!) makes Atlanta my favorite place to live. At the same time, there are so many things we can do to rank more highly among international cities, and city planners should be patient and strategic with that process.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:24 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,008,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Fixed that for you.
I wouldn't even go that far. Sure, it's denser and is on a grid, but Seattle has basically the same housing and building stock as the City of Atlanta. Plus they lack a subway. Any city without a subway cannot be more urban than one with one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta