Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 06:34 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

It's the economy, stupid.

When you're looking at a trend like this from 2000-present, this essentially becomes a list of cities that have bounced back more quickly since the recession.

It also needs to be understood that as time goes on, there will be more competition for college grads as more cities urbanize, develop, and come into their own. The pretty new girls on the block will always draw a measure of attention, at least until they aren't so new anymore.

I wonder if NYC, Philly, DC, Chicago, Boston, etc did all this hand-wringing, slow singing, and flower-bringing in the 80's and 90's when Atlanta was really beginning to make its mark nationally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 06:48 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
There's a lot of "grass is greener on the other side" syndrome in this thread.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:01 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
There's a lot of "grass is greener on the other side" syndrome in this thread.
No kidding.

So, who is moving into these new towers and apartments going up all over town if not young college grads?

Old 10-20-2014, 07:02 PM

161 posts, read 219,324 times
Default Great mid-career city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post

College students / graduates are broke and going where the (entry-level) jobs are. More established professionals continue to move here in droves, due to job opportunities and corporate relocations.
Yes. That was us. Went to college in Atlanta. We would have liked to stay in Atlanta, but we were willing to go where we found the best job. Ended up in Chicago 100% due to the best fresh-out-of-college job offer. Fell in love with that city, but when the opportunity arose to return to Atlanta it was for a huge promotion and subsequently huge gains in career experience, growth and compensation.

And, of course, by "Atlanta" I mean: Metro Atlanta area

Old 10-20-2014, 09:00 PM

134 posts, read 185,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Not surprised. I want to get the hell out of here as soon as possible...I'm completing the intership now, then I will begin looking for software developing jobs out west and up north. SF, Seattle, LA, D.C., and NYC are my top choices. Unless I get a very attractive offer here, I don't play on staying here for much longer.

It's just far too sprawled and unwalkable for my liking and it's simply taking far too long to urbanize this city. On top of that, the economy just sucks.

Look at the comments on Atlanta tour guides and articles mentioning it's sprawl....the young people certainly don't seem to take to kindly to Atlanta anymore....many cities are passing it up(Seattle, Denver, Austin, Minneapolis) and just because you have 5.5 million in your metro doesn't make you an attractive city.

Atlanta is in a world of pain 10 years from now. This is just the beginning. The demographic changes do not favor this city at all.
What's so great about Austin? I spent a week there last year and couldn't wait to leave. Traffic that was worse than Atlanta's and those damn ugly sprawling trees that they have all over central Texas.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:41 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
What's so great about Austin? I spent a week there last year and couldn't wait to leave. Traffic that was worse than Atlanta's and those damn ugly sprawling trees that they have all over central Texas.
Walkable college town, with a river, great nightlife. And their trees are better than all Atlanta's pine trees.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:46 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
No kidding.

So, who is moving into these new towers and apartments going up all over town if not young college grads?
Probably transfers. Atlanta is not great place for a college-grad to start a career. More like get the experience elsewhere and return if you want. We had someone on this board lament that their company couldn't fill a position. Apparently, they weren't training from within, they just needed to poach someone else's expert.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Probably transfers. Atlanta is not great place for a college-grad to start a career. More like get the experience elsewhere and return if you want. We had someone on this board lament that their company couldn't fill a position. Apparently, they weren't training from within, they just needed to poach someone else's expert.
I disagree; Atlanta is indeed a great place for a college grad to start a career. The issue is that at the moment, it doesn't offer as many opportunities for college grads. That's an important distinction to make.

But I'd say there are more mid-career professionals moving into these new residential units as opposed to college grads. I know I couldn't afford to rent most of the new apartments going up when I first got out of school.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Walkable college town, with a river, great nightlife. And their trees are better than all Atlanta's pine trees.
Atlanta has a mix of pine and deciduous trees. Pine trees don't produce a canopy like this:

Old 10-21-2014, 05:31 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
According to this analysis things are just fine here for college grads

Best Cities for Recent College Graduates - NerdWallet Credit Card Blog

Perhaps the message just isn't getting out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta