Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 01:44 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Although I am fully employed here in Atlanta, one thing I have noticed with the job market is that too many employers here aren't willing to put in the effort to hire as many qualified people for jobs rather go out their way to hire people whom can see as their "friend". I've noticed this in other major cities to a certain degree with jobs, but it very problematic here. Additionally, too many employers in Atlanta don't believe in the "learning curve" on the job rather "ready from day one" mentality. I have such mentality (ready from day one), but many people whom are passionate about what they do cannot even get their foot in the door in their respective fields in this region. It also contributes to why so many younger professionals migrate elsewhere than staying here after completing their collegiate or graduate studies programs.

It says that in this region has too many people whom are out-of-touch with the realities of today's job market on the hiring side of the interviewing table...
Bingo.

All of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
6.0 percent unemployment is only half the story....how many out there are UNDEREMPLOYED right now? Take a guess? I don't know exactly but, if I were to guess I'd say its somewhere around 25% of THAT particular group....managers working in fast food, college graduates that can't get a job.....no, I think the White House has quite a bit to account for.....18 Trillion in debt is a good start....
The unemployment calculations is the same as it always was. So if you can't trust it now you could never trust it.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Anyone can say that or make that comparison but that doesn't mean that it's a valid comparison.
Atlanta's unemployment rate is higher then Detroit's and this is a fact.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Old 10-28-2014, 02:10 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
Atlanta's unemployment rate is higher then Detroit's and this is a fact.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas
But that has little to nothing to do with an overall comparison of Atlanta and Detroit. They are fundamentally different cities, past and present.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:16 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hush.bereel View Post
This is a depressing thread. I'm actually on the verge of landing a job in Atlanta, so my experience is dictating otherwise, but all this talk about Atlanta's economy is depressing. I guess if I get this job, I'll be moving to a place where many people around me will be either unemployed or underemployed? Yeah, that's depressing. Someone even compared Atlanta to Detroit? Dang. That sucks because Atlanta is such an awesome city, in a wonderful geographic area. I sure hope I'll be able to find happily employed people to make friends with or my wife and I will be lonely there!
Take this thread with a grain of salt.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:23 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,131,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77
But that has little to nothing to do with an overall comparison of Atlanta and Detroit. They are fundamentally different cities, past and present.
Have to agree with you on that one. I'm sure that when they say "Detroit", they're talking about METRO DETROIT, which is doing a lot better than the CITY OF DETROIT. Thus, it is a bad comparison to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Take this thread with a grain of salt.
Absolutely. It's true that Atlanta's job market isn't up to snuff, but this thread is excessively bitter and increasingly irrational. I actually chuckled when people started talking about Detroit, and pointed to its unemployment rate, as if that somehow makes Detroit better than Atlanta.

- skbl17

Old 10-28-2014, 02:32 PM

265 posts, read 402,432 times
All I know is I recently decided I want to finally gtfo of Florida, so I applied to jobs in over a dozen major cities around the country, and it's the Atlanta one that it looks like I'm going to get. I'm in a specialized field (broadcasting) so I'm not representative of the entire employment scene in Atlanta, but things look good for me there. I barely got any "thanks but no thanks" emails out of most of the companies I applied to, but for the Atlanta one I've already had three interviews.

I'll try not to let this thread get me down then.

Last edited by hush.bereel; 10-28-2014 at 02:40 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
Have to agree with you on that one. I'm sure that when they say "Detroit", they're talking about METRO DETROIT, which is doing a lot better than the CITY OF DETROIT. Thus, it is a bad comparison to make.

Absolutely. It's true that Atlanta's job market isn't up to snuff, but this thread is excessively bitter and increasingly irrational. I actually chuckled when people started talking about Detroit, and pointed to its unemployment rate, as if that somehow makes Detroit better than Atlanta.

- skbl17
It means they have a better chance of finding a job in Detroit then Atlanta.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:28 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,048,359 times
Many degreed professionals do very well here and have no problem finding work. Entry level and those without any education may be another story. Most people you and your wife will meet and live around will also be employed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hush.bereel View Post
All I know is I recently decided I want to finally gtfo of Florida, so I applied to jobs in over a dozen major cities around the country, and it's the Atlanta one that it looks like I'm going to get. I'm in a specialized field (broadcasting) so I'm not representative of the entire employment scene in Atlanta, but things look good for me there. I barely got any "thanks but no thanks" emails out of most of the companies I applied to, but for the Atlanta one I've already had three interviews.

I'll try not to let this thread get me down then.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:30 PM

265 posts, read 402,432 times
Someone left me a reputation comment relevant to this discussion, and I don't know how to reply directly to it, or who left it, so I'll just quote it here:

Quote:
hi, don't take this wrong way, but the reason you may have 3 interviews is because creative/entertainment/broadcast people avoid ATL. They move to NY, DC, SF, LA, Chicago, Boston and Miami. Have you tried any of those "hipper markets"? Please reply.

I applied to jobs in each of those cities except for Miami, with emphasis mostly on L.A., and it was Atlanta that has been on the fast track to get me in... I don't know, maybe you are correct that most people in my industry prefer to be elsewhere, but I still find it appealing that the Atlanta job seemed so eager to bring me aboard, while also hiring a bunch of other positions too. Seems to me that at least the entertainment and broadcasting fields are doing okay in Atlanta for the jobs to be there at all. If other people in my field want to pass Atlanta up for whatever reason and leave all the jobs for me, I'll take 'em!

Atlanta is a wonderful city in a great location, with plenty of stuff to do, and I would rather live there than L.A. any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta