Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 02:14 AM

5 posts, read 5,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madstudios30620 View Post
Atlanta is more diverse racially than most cities. Stay one step ahead of stupidity
and quit judging people based on what group they belong to or where they are from.

Also, could someone please fix the pothole on 85 Speedway North approaching
Pleasant Hill Rd. on the right side of the highway?!?

If we aren't going to fix it could we find a lawyer to file a lawsuit for car damages?

America is strong because we are diverse.
GDOT has a website where you can report issues like that...not sure anyone here works for GDOT.
[url]https://www.dot.ga.gov/misc/Pages/ContactUs.aspx[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
This would probably drive any English Composition teacher nuts.
A preposition is not usually something used to end a sentence with.

I would argue that America's strength has more to do with education, innovation, and our work ethic. If the source of our strength were diversity, this would imply that all the cultural, scientific, religious, cultural and military achievements that went into building America were performed by a racially diverse group of people--they were not. While, as a nation we may be more diverse since the founding fathers put pen to paper, this happened at best after America rose to be a global superpower. In any case, while there may be a correlation between America becoming stronger as it became more racially diverse--and it's up for argument whether we are, in fact stronger since a time like 1960 when America was at the peak of it's strength and the civil rights movement was just beginning--its a great logical leap to assume this all happened as a result of diversity (causation). This is not to cast judgement with respect to whether diversity is a good or bad thing, however the assertion is that America's strength is due to diversity is more opinion than fact.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:50 AM

346 posts, read 388,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Atlanta is also more segregated than most large cities
You've made an assertion that isn't factual. Google "most segregated cities". Here's a link to one of the articles.

https://ricochet.com/archives/top-10...-in-the-south/

Old 02-01-2015, 08:28 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Atlanta suburbs are among the most diverse in America. Some city neighborhoods are blindingly white though (Virginia Highlands, Morningside, Ansley Park, west of Peachtree Buckhead etc) The diverse intown neighborhoods seem to be the "up and coming ones: Kirkwood, Grant Park, East Atlanta, Woodland Hills etc.)
I don't for a second believe that these neighborhoods are blindingly white because the white folks keep out the non-white folks. (I know that is not what you said.) I think they are white because non-whites choose not to live there. If that is the case, I'm not sure what there is to criticize.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:04 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
I'm really glad someone wrote an article proving what I've noticed anecdotally for a long time now: Cities like Philadelphia, Chicago, and yes, even New York, are way more segregated than Atlanta. We are a model of integration.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I'm really glad someone wrote an article proving what I've noticed anecdotally for a long time now: Cities like Philadelphia, Chicago, and yes, even New York, are way more segregated than Atlanta. We are a model of integration.
I'm not sure we are talking about the same Atlanta--just because Atlanta is not on the 'top ten' list does not mean it's not very segregated.

There was a study done where the population mappings of color were done in color. Visually this makes things much clearer.

[url=http://demographics.coopercenter.org/DotMap/index.html]The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person for the Entire U.S.[/url]

Old 02-01-2015, 09:30 AM

346 posts, read 388,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robogeek View Post
I'm not sure we are talking about the same Atlanta--just because Atlanta is not on the 'top ten' list does not mean it's not very segregated.

There was a study done where the population mappings of color were done in color. Visually this makes things much clearer.

The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person for the Entire U.S.
BTW, Atlanta is not in the 'top 25' list either.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:45 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
Definitely there are almost 100% black areas of the metro. I don't regard that as a problem because there are virtually zero 100% white areas, maybe here and there in East Cobb. But those are extreme examples. Loom at the colors in Gwinnett count and in town Atlanta and you can easily see that our integration is strong.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:59 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckshere View Post
You've made an assertion that isn't factual. Google "most segregated cities". Here's a link to one of the articles.

https://ricochet.com/archives/top-10...-in-the-south/
I take your meaning, but I will stand by my statement, even if I have to amend it. Atlanta is #9 of the top 10 metropolitan areas in the USA and large cities have a reputation of being melting pots. Even though large cities pockets and areas with a large concentration of a given ethnicity/cultural group (Chinatown, etc), you do not have large, extensive swaths where diversity is basically absent.

This is very much the case in Atlanta in a way that Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Dallas, etc aren't... and this reality is clearly visible on the racial dot map. Washington D.C. comes close, but that area is infamous for its economic, racial, and political depression and segregation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Definitely there are almost 100% black areas of the metro. I don't regard that as a problem because there are virtually zero 100% white areas, maybe here and there in East Cobb. But those are extreme examples. Loom at the colors in Gwinnett count and in town Atlanta and you can easily see that our integration is strong.
I wouldn't call it strong at all. This is just for the CoA - Demographics of Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Out of about 26 different neighborhoods, only 5 of them are what i would consider very diverse (meaning that no one group comprises more than 75% of the population there.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:37 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,118 times
I find Atlanta to be much less racially segregated than the New York City I grew up in. Cities like NY & DC may seem a little less segregated now due to the current era of gentrification, but once that cycle matures the lines will be drawn once again. Now Atlanta is definitely economically segregated, but that's everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta