Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2015, 07:56 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
We live within walking distance of Peachtree--but the sidewalks are so narrow it doesn't usually feel safe to use them with my small children in tow. We would never use a bike lane--but we would use wider sidewalks daily for trips to the grocery, drug store and restaurants. I have talked to many elderly, handicapped and parents of small children who share this view. Sidewalks.
That's one of my concerns about the bike lane brouhaha. What about pedestrians?

I like the Complete streets idea and am okay with including bikers in the mix when it makes sense.

However, it seems to me you get more bang for your buck by improving the pedestrian environment, especially along major roads. I see a zillion times more walkers than cyclists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Peachtree Rd would not be used mostly be recreational cyclists on the weekends, but by bike commuters during the weekdays. A beautiful ride is not top priority, safe and quick are key. As it stands now, there are no easy options for cyclists to get to Buckhead from Midtown or Perimeter Center.
What would be wrong with using something like this as a bike route? It's safe, not any longer, and there are many easy cut overs to Peachtree?

If it turns out there are more cyclists using this than it can accommodate, then revisit the idea of striping more bike lanes on Peachtree.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:32 AM

280 posts, read 389,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What would be wrong with using something like this as a bike route? It's safe, not any longer, and there are many easy cut overs to Peachtree?

If it turns out there are more cyclists using this than it can accommodate, then revisit the idea of striping more bike lanes on Peachtree.

No. I have taken that route and will only use it going South. The hill on Habersham going North is both extremely steep and rather long. It is a nice wide street, but roots of trees have lifted the roadway edge in many places and force you out into the main traffic lane. The cars are moving 35-40 mpH, cannot see you around the curves, have to be careful of oncoming traffic and come way too close to you. Its OK on a high end road bike when you are not carrying anything (your higher speed gives cars longer to see you), but with your work clothes, laptop and papers using a commuter bike, it's a tough, dangerous climb. You are not going to encourage any new cyclists on that route and it scares many experienced bike commuters. I will go all the way west to Howell Mill (which also reasonably steep) and then take Moores Mill to West Paces Ferry to avoid that route, but that is at least 4 miles longer.

Peachtree has the gentlest climb of any of the North South roads with Piedmont a close second. One or the other of those roads needs a bike route if you are going to go from Midtown to Buckhead by Bike.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kferq View Post
No. I have taken that route and will only use it going South. The hill on Habersham going North is both extremely steep and rather long. It is a nice wide street, but roots of trees have lifted the roadway edge in many places and force you out into the main traffic lane. The cars are moving 35-40 mpH, cannot see you around the curves, have to be careful of oncoming traffic and come way too close to you. Its OK on a high end road bike when you are not carrying anything (your higher speed gives cars longer to see you), but with your work clothes, laptop and papers using a commuter bike, it's a tough, dangerous climb. You are not going to encourage any new cyclists on that route and it scares many experienced bike commuters. I will go all the way west to Howell Mill (which also reasonably steep) and then take Moores Mill to West Paces Ferry to avoid that route, but that is at least 4 miles longer.

Peachtree has the gentlest climb of any of the North South roads with Piedmont a close second. One or the other of those roads needs a bike route if you are going to go from Midtown to Buckhead by Bike.
I haven't suggested Habersham.

My proposed route goes up Rivers to Cherokee, then takes Andrews to Slaton. You're basically just a block off Peachtree. That's a low traffic, beautiful ride.

According to RideTheCity.com, it's 2.1 miles, with a ride time of 13-17 minutes and an elevation gain of only 190 feet over the route.

Ride the City - Atlanta

Old 11-01-2015, 03:34 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,424 times
Quote:

My proposed route goes up Rivers to Cherokee, then takes Andrews to Slaton. You're basically just a block off Peachtree. That's a low traffic, beautiful ride.

According to RideTheCity.com, it's 2.1 miles, with a ride time of 13-17 minutes and an elevation gain of only 190 feet over the route.

Ride the City - Atlanta
Do you suggest adding bicycle infrastructure on these alternative roads, or are you saying these are safe for biking now? I'm all for reasonable alternatives for bicycles if they exist. For example, while it has its issues for sure, the Peachtree Center Cycle Track is an excellent alternative for getting bikes out of a lane of traffic and into their own dedicated space on a road that had space for it.

However, most of the roads in Buckhead now are not suited to using a bicycle to commute/run errands/take the kids out as they are. I think they're great for those with the expensive fancy racing bikes, but for normal everyday use, the cars go just too fast, there aren't enough red lights/curb outcrops/etc to slow them down, and there are too many blind spots. I wouldn't feel safe biking through most of Buckhead today, and I bike through midtown and downtown everyday. If you propose adding infrastructure, like protected lanes, to alternative routes, I'd be with you!

Old 11-01-2015, 03:53 PM

280 posts, read 389,807 times
Quote:

Ride the City - Atlanta
Oh, I am sorry, I had never considered that route. My wife works off Andrews and I bike from Morningside to through that area regularly (using my road Bike for exercise) and I would never commute that route. First, 190 feet is the net elevation change not what you climb on the bike. You have a lot of up and down on the route prob over 400 feet of up. Going South, the hill on Andrews is a very long 6% with many tree routes, but it is straight and cars give you room. However, there is a really nasty uphill left turn onto West Westly. I have done this on a Sunday morning, but having to turn up a 6% grade across traffic at rush hour from a stop sign into moving traffic is not for the faint of heart. I like it better going North, but don't take it. You still have to make a left into traffic, but at least it is downhill. The climbs up to West Westly, right when you turn off West Westly , and the final climb on Andrews are all very steep.

Peachtree is still much easier, even in traffic and that's what I do.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Do you suggest adding bicycle infrastructure on these alternative roads, or are you saying these are safe for biking now? I'm all for reasonable alternatives for bicycles if they exist. For example, while it has its issues for sure, the Peachtree Center Cycle Track is an excellent alternative for getting bikes out of a lane of traffic and into their own dedicated space on a road that had space for it.

However, most of the roads in Buckhead now are not suited to using a bicycle to commute/run errands/take the kids out as they are. I think they're great for those with the expensive fancy racing bikes, but for normal everyday use, the cars go just too fast, there aren't enough red lights/curb outcrops/etc to slow them down, and there are too many blind spots. I wouldn't feel safe biking through most of Buckhead today, and I bike through midtown and downtown everyday. If you propose adding infrastructure, like protected lanes, to alternative routes, I'd be with you!
These are such peaceful quiet streets that I don't think they need any further infrastructure.

You might need to add bike lanes on the sections where you cross streets like West Wesley but otherwise you're looking at smooth sailing through some of the prettiest parts of the city. You can easily share the road with the relatively small number of cars that come through there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8322...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8334...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8283...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old 11-01-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kferq View Post
Oh, I am sorry, I had never considered that route. My wife works off Andrews and I bike from Morningside to through that area regularly (using my road Bike for exercise) and I would never commute that route. First, 190 feet is the net elevation change not what you climb on the bike. You have a lot of up and down on the route prob over 400 feet of up. Going South, the hill on Andrews is a very long 6% with many tree routes, but it is straight and cars give you room. However, there is a really nasty uphill left turn onto West Westly. I have done this on a Sunday morning, but having to turn up a 6% grade across traffic at rush hour from a stop sign into moving traffic is not for the faint of heart. I like it better going North, but don't take it. You still have to make a left into traffic, but at least it is downhill. The climbs up to West Westly, right when you turn off West Westly , and the final climb on Andrews are all very steep.

Peachtree is still much easier, even in traffic and that's what I do.
Well, you have a point. I rode this area quite a bit back in my cycling days and the downhills are great but the uphills will have you puffing.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:25 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,424 times
Quote:
These are such peaceful quiet streets that I don't think they need any further infrastructure.

You might need to add bike lanes on the sections where you cross streets like West Wesley but otherwise you're looking at smooth sailing through some of the prettiest parts of the city. You can easily share the road with the relatively small number of cars that come through there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8322...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8334...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8283...8i6656!6m1!1e1
Agreed, those look like quiet streets. I was thinking they were more like Moores Mill, but it doesn't seem that way. Admittedly I don't know my way around that area too well and I'm not over there much, so I say this with a grain of salt, but it looks like a good alternative. Now the only problem, what happens when you actually get to Peachtree to patronize the businesses? Buckhead isn't a grid, once you get off that street, you'll have a little ways to go in either direction to get where you wanted to go.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Agreed, those look like quiet streets. I was thinking they were more like Moores Mill, but it doesn't seem that way. Admittedly I don't know my way around that area too well and I'm not over there much, so I say this with a grain of salt, but it looks like a good alternative. Now the only problem, what happens when you actually get to Peachtree to patronize the businesses? Buckhead isn't a grid, once you get off that street, you'll have a little ways to go in either direction to get where you wanted to go.
There's a pretty good grid in the village area. You can also use the bike lanes on Pharr or West paces Ferry.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8370...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8415...7i13312!8i6656

If I were going up to the Lenox area, I'd cut through the Village and take Maple to Peachtree, where the bike lanes kick in again.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8444...7i13312!8i6656
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta