Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 05:10 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times

Advertisements

I long for the day when Atlanta can have yearlong cultural events instead of waiting on a yearly festival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 05:14 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,785,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I long for the day when Atlanta can have yearlong cultural events instead of waiting on a yearly festival.
You are so out of the loop. If you aren't in the know on events don't give out bad information just because you are out of the loop on social events. That's the problem with people, they don't know what's going on so they assume nothing is going on when it's plenty. The only thing that decreases in the winter is outdoor festivals, everything else is still popping.

Last edited by afdinatl; 05-29-2015 at 05:27 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 05:30 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
Should a person have to really be "in the know"?

Heck I'm not "in the know" about Indian/Hindu culture and yet I can drive down Lawrencville Hwy going into Gwinnett County and see a huge temple. I can be North of Decatur close to Church St and Dekalb Industrial and see swaths of Indian/Hindu Commerce. And I am not even Indian/Hindu.

Culture should be of such magnitude that it practically hits a non-practicing person in the face as far as I'm concerned.

It speaks to the power, resilience, and thrivability of the people who practice that culture.

It shouldn't be some hidden out-of-the-limelight niche situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
You are so out of the loop. If you aren't in the know on events don't give out bad information just because you are out of the loop on social events. That's the problem with people, they don't know what's going on so they assume nothing is going on when it's plenty

Last edited by AcidSnake; 05-29-2015 at 06:34 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post

Heck I'm not "in the know" about Indian/Hindu culture and yet I can drive down Lawrencville Hwy going into Gwinnett County and see a huge temple. I can be North of Decatur close to Church St and Dekalb Industrial and see swaths of Indian/Hindu Commerce. And I am not even Indian/Hindu.

Culture should be of such magnitude that it practically hit a non-practicing person in the face as far as I'm concerned.

It speaks to the power, resilience, and thrivability of the people who practice that culture.

Thing is its plenty of events here but people have to know where to go or have the right network of friends to tell you about things going on. Some events are easy to find but most aren't. The reason I know about more events than most people is because most of my friends are always in the streets so if an event slips by me I still end up finding out about it because they know. I'm not acting like I'm bigger than anyone by saying that I know about more events than the next person but for the most part You have to be on at least 15 email listings and have at least 20 dj's, promoters, etc in Atlanta saved as friends on FB to even know 40% of what is going on. You need to be on Meetup to find out about more events, look at the AJC weekend event listings, Creative Loafing, etc

Check out this site www.atleventlistings.com.

The average person doesn't have no idea that all these events are going on. Some cities like Miami and Vegas have entertainment laid out for you. In cities like Atlanta, LA and Nyc you have to look for them. Not daying there are no events, they are there but you just have to find them

Last edited by afdinatl; 05-29-2015 at 06:04 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 06:10 PM

I'm not attacking you, I'm just speaking in general.

Maybe it's just my personal perception, but when I look at the immigrant communities and how they showcase their culture in Metro Atlanta, it's nothing short of impressive.

Heck, even communities with the smallest of imprints(Japan) are able to attract throngs of non-Japanese to their cultural events and festivals in Atlanta. Somehow cultural awareness across the Metro Atlanta Region is accomplished without niche-y social media or special associations.

So right or wrong...there seems to be a perception of sorts that Afrocentric culture does not seem to have the equivalent influence and allure in Atlanta that these other communities seem to be able to command.

And the question begs to be made...if young black people in this era still possess the same Afrocentric awareness that their predecessors had...especially like the black students at Georgia State University in the early 1990s who had a sit-in protest at President Patton's office to demand more sensitivity of campus issues that black people face.

I haven't seen that sort of awesome energy since.

So I think it's fair to ask to those type of questions and not be an "in the know" type of person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Thing is its plenty of events here but people have to know where to go or have the right network of friends to tell you about things going on. Some events are easy to find but most aren't. The reason I know about more events than most people is because most of my friends are always in the streets so if an event slips by me I still end up finding out about it because they know. I'm not acting like I'm bigger than anyone by saying that I know about more events than the next person but for the most part You have to be on at least 15 email listings and have at least 20 dj's, promoters, etc in Atlanta saved as friends on FB to even know 40% of what is going on.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 05-29-2015 at 06:35 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 07:03 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Maybe you haven't seen that energy because blacks are doing a lot better as a whole(in Atlanta) than they used to 20-30 years ago? I mean, since the 90s, Atlanta's black population has exploded.

When you're surrounded by well to do Blacks, you don't necessarily need cultural "empowerment" events every week of the year. Just look around you...that's real empowerment.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I'm not attacking you, I'm just speaking in general.

Maybe it's just my personal perception, but when I look at the immigrant communities and how they showcase their culture in Metro Atlanta, it's nothing short of impressive.

Heck, even communities with the smallest of imprints(Japan) are able to attract throngs of non-Japanese to their cultural events and festivals in Atlanta. Somehow cultural awareness across the Metro Atlanta Region is accomplished without niche-y social media or special associations.

So right or wrong...there seems to be a perception of sorts that Afrocentric culture does not seem to have the equivalent influence and allure in Atlanta that these other communities seem to be able to command.

And the question begs to be made...if young black people in this era still possess the same Afrocentric awareness that their predecessors had...especially like the black students at Georgia State University in the early 1990s who had a sit-in protest at President Patton's office to demand more sensitivity of campus issues that black people face.

I haven't seen that sort of awesome energy since.

So I think it's fair to ask to those type of questions and not be an "in the know" type of person.
Cool story. You have a right to your opinion. Holla!

Last edited by afdinatl; 05-29-2015 at 07:22 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Maybe you haven't seen that energy because blacks are doing a lot better as a whole(in Atlanta) than they used to 20-30 years ago? I mean, since the 90s, Atlanta's black population has exploded.
There are plenty of scholars out there who will disagree with that assertion. Especially in light of what has happened since the 2008 Subprime mortgage meltdown and resulting "Great Recession".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
When you're surrounded by well to do Blacks, you don't necessarily need cultural "empowerment" events every week of the year. Just look around you...that's real empowerment.
A relative observation to be sure, but no biggie. I've said my piece on this issue.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:13 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,733 times
I suppose nope on the cultural tip, but like AcidSnake said politically and social awareness-wise, yep...

Last edited by jero23; 05-29-2015 at 10:30 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 10:21 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:

Culture should be of such magnitude that it practically hits a non-practicing person in the face as far as I'm concerned.

Just like you have to drive to that part of the town to see those things, you have to drive to the West End to see the things the OP is specifically speaking of. Same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta