Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 09:35 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,428,277 times

Advertisements

"I mean, isn't Afrocentricism essentially what is "central to African Americans"?"

*Hmmmmm, this is a very, very debatable and interesting question?!! LOL. This is a question that will MOST DEFINITELY cause controversy amongst a few of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I suppose. But it's my assertion that people of my generation and younger do not do this issue of afrocentric-ness, being "conscious", enough justice. Too many folks I feel have a superficial, vague, and poorly defined notion of what being Afrocentric means.

So many subjects on city-data have taken various turns and segues in a way that have proven both entertaining and enlightening.

I feel that it is shame that we would put conversational handcuffs on this issue...at a time where black/African American determination is pretty much under seige.

Doesn't answer what exactly is mainstream African American culture as you seemingly put it. I mean, isn't Afrocentricism essentially what is "central to African Americans"?

I literally don't see how you can say that there is Afrocentrism...and then there is a completely separate unique mainstream African American culture.

Eurocentrism and White Americans are intrinsically tied together. Heck, the American standard K-12 education system & the American Corporate Media proves just as much. White supremacy in a nutshell, with no apologies or alibis necessary.

So why and how can it be different when it comes to black people?

Intellectually speaking, I cannot reconcile that notion you have put forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 09:36 AM

"..Too many folks I feel have a superficial, vague, and poorly defined notion of what being Afrocentric means..."

*I AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLEY!

Quote:
I suppose. But it's my assertion that people of my generation and younger do not do this issue of afrocentric-ness, being "conscious", enough justice. Too many folks I feel have a superficial, vague, and poorly defined notion of what being Afrocentric means.

So many subjects on city-data have taken various turns and segues in a way that have proven both entertaining and enlightening.

I feel that it is shame that we would put conversational handcuffs on this issue...at a time where black/African American determination is pretty much under seige.

Doesn't answer what exactly is mainstream African American culture as you seemingly put it. I mean, isn't Afrocentricism essentially what is "central to African Americans"?

I literally don't see how you can say that there is Afrocentrism...and then there is a completely separate unique mainstream African American culture.

Eurocentrism and White Americans are intrinsically tied together. Heck, the American standard K-12 education system & the American Corporate Media proves just as much. White supremacy in a nutshell, with no apologies or alibis necessary.

So why and how can it be different when it comes to black people?

Intellectually speaking, I cannot reconcile that notion you have put forth.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:37 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,311,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Naw Acid, your points are well taken! I truly understand what you're expressing.

When I mean Afrocentric/Black Cultural, I referring to BOTH elements. People can be in touch with their Black cultural expression without being Afrocentric. There are people who will never embrace Africa, Afrocentricity or African-Centeredness, but, DO embrace their Black American cultural experiences, traditions, and dynamics (that may be a topic for another discussion!)! LOL!
I guess it's just me being extreme, but I really honestly feel like ideally there isn't or shouldn't be a seperation between what is Afrocentric and what is black/African American.

To me...to say that there is a separation...is to say what black people are celebrating is simply a subset of White/European culture.

Because otherwise, why even bother alternating between using "black american" and "African American" as an identifier?

Let's just refer to ourselves as Negro-peans and call it a "day".

Because that is how average black folks are acting anyway, given how a lot of us conduct ourselves in the yet-to-be United States America.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:40 AM

You see! You're asking some very pertinent and profound questions that will take this post into other discussions (which I feel are important), but good questions nonetheless!

Quote:
If Afrocentric-ness is a subset, then what exactly is African American culture?

Isn't Afrocentric-ness THE African American culture? Or shouldn't it be, idealistically?

Because otherwise, the only other thing African Americans have as I see it...is simply imitating White American/European people.

And that way of living has not worked out very well for us as a whole/collective so far.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:53 AM

"I guess it's just me being extreme, but I really honestly feel like ideally there isn't or shouldn't be a seperation between what is Afrocentric and what is black/African American."

*There shouldn't be, but, unfortunately there is a disparity in this term. You know, many Black folks throughout the Diaspora don't want anything to do with Africa or Africa people.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:55 AM

Interesting! I've heard from other folks as well how Black Atlanta has lost it's Afrocentric vibe due to the increasing diversity of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuiOui View Post
Yes, Atlanta has somewhat lost that atmosphere, but that is because the city is becoming more diverse, which is good. You can still find those places in the AUC and West End. West End just hosted the annual Malcolm X Festival. You've got the colleges, churches, Hebrew Israelites, and Black owned restaurants (some vegan) in AUC/West End areas. There's Kemetic Yoga (based on African spirituality) Saturday mornings at Firehawk Yoga in West End.

I wouldn't say it's very prevalent in the entire city, but that is because that movement has sort of died down nationwide (no one's walking around in dashikis anymore like back in the day lol). But you can certainly still find what you're looking for in the areas I mentioned. Start with finding local meetup groups online & on Facebook, and more than likely they'll lead you to events in Atl that you weren't even aware of. I see plenty on the Kemetic yoga pages that I follow.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:02 AM

"When you're surrounded by well to do Blacks, you don't necessarily need cultural "empowerment" events every week of the year. Just look around you...that's real empowerment."

LOLOLOLOL!!!! That's funny statement! You don't necessarily need what??!!! Have you ever seen an authentic Jewish/Hasidic Community and how they operate?! You want to see some TRUE empowerment. Negroes are just playing at being real empowered, I don't care what city they are living in. I'm still laughing at this comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Maybe you haven't seen that energy because blacks are doing a lot better as a whole(in Atlanta) than they used to 20-30 years ago? I mean, since the 90s, Atlanta's black population has exploded.

When you're surrounded by well to do Blacks, you don't necessarily need cultural "empowerment" events every week of the year. Just look around you...that's real empowerment.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:03 AM

How is witnessing the explosion of well-to-do Blacks equate into true empowerment??! LOL...still laughing!

I want to jump all over this statement!

Old 05-30-2015, 10:28 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,140,627 times
Laugh all you want, but I'd rather see Atlanta become more diverse with all peoples than continue to become more black/white. Sounds extremely provincial and un-worldly. I don't think that's the city/region Atlanta wants to become. It wants to become more like NYC, not more like Memphis.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:37 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,311,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It wants to become more like NYC, not more like Memphis.
NYC may be diverse by your personal definition, but it's not a particularly enlightened city.

Looking at the situations with "stop & frisk", Eric Garner, Sean Bell and the NYPD...I'm not about to co-sign NYC as being some paradise.

NYC still subscribes heavily to the same traditional American Eurocentric mantra as hard as any southern city, Memphis included.

NYC simply does it different and with a little more marketing savvy, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta