Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 10:47 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times

Advertisements

I think I've said this before in a different thread awhile back and I will say it again:

I feel like this term "diversity"...is simply a code-word for less black/African American...or anyplace that does not have enough white people.

Because there isn't really any place in America where race/skin color tribalism is not an issue.

And maybe this is unfair on my part.

But at this point with what is going on, I have no choice but to be blunt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 10:48 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,426,825 times
"I feel like "diversity" is simply a code-word for less black/African American or anyplace that does not have enough white people."

*Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I think I've said this before in a different thread awhile back and I will say it again: I feel like "diversity" is simply a code-word for less black/African American or anyplace that does not have enough white people.

Because there isn't really any place in America where race/skin color tribalism is not an issue.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:05 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,426,825 times
Diversity means different things to different people. Diversity and gentrification brings a decline in something else. A decline in many small businesses and enterprises..look at New York City as a prime example. More like NYC?!! NYC at what time period in history? New York City boasts a population of 8.5 millions people with many mixtures of people, communities and cultures (who, at times, wage war against each other politically, economically, culturally and intellectually). You want a very provincial and un-wordly city, come to Baltimore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Laugh all you want, but I'd rather see Atlanta become more diverse with all peoples than continue to become more black/white. Sounds extremely provincial and un-worldly. I don't think that's the city/region Atlanta wants to become. It wants to become more like NYC, not more like Memphis.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:51 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
I suppose. But it's my assertion that people of my generation and younger do not do this issue of afrocentric-ness, being "conscious", enough justice. Too many folks I feel have a superficial, vague, and poorly defined notion of what being Afrocentric means.

So many subjects on city-data have taken various turns and segues in a way that have proven both entertaining and enlightening.

I feel that it is shame that we would put conversational handcuffs on this issue...at a time where black/African American determination is pretty much under seige.
I'm not stifling discussion of the subject, but it deserves its own thread with a larger audience that goes way beyond Atlanta. Time and place for everything.

Quote:
Doesn't answer what exactly is mainstream African American culture as you seemingly put it. I mean, isn't Afrocentricism essentially what is "central to African Americans"?
Not really. Should it be? That's the real question here.

Quote:
I literally don't see how you can say that there is Afrocentrism...and then there is a completely separate unique mainstream African American culture.
I didn't say anything about "completely separate;" I said that Afrocentrism is a subset of mainstream African American culture, which implies a great degree of interconnectivity.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:58 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
I think I've said this before in a different thread awhile back and I will say it again:

I feel like this term "diversity"...is simply a code-word for less black/African American...or anyplace that does not have enough white people.

If diversity is simply black and white to you then you may be right, but it can also be a place that doesn't have enough black people. Homogenous areas can lack diversity of any race or ethnicity or orientation. Diversity (or lack thereof) can allude to lots of things.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not stifling discussion of the subject, but it deserves its own thread with a larger audience that goes way beyond Atlanta. Time and place for everything.
Depends.

The forum can easily make or break the discussion. And in America, there doesn't seem to be a forum whether physical or online that exist yet...that can concretely and comprehensively discuss issues on Afrocentric-ness.

At least there is not one that can empower equally all those involved with high stakes and investment in such a conversation.

And you might want to be careful on this notion of "time and place". Once upon a time, "time and place" was an excuse used to dodge the question of Civil rights laws for black/African American people.

I'm just sayin'...

Quote:
Not really. Should it be? That's the real question here.
I disgree. So I suppose we shall agree to disagree on this one.

Quote:
I didn't say anything about "completely separate;" I said that Afrocentrism is a subset of mainstream African American culture, which implies a great degree of interconnectivity.
I am going by my interpretation of your words.

Because you never did defined exactly what "mainstream African American culture" is. And it's my 3rd time making this request of you.

So absent a defined definition from you, all that's left is my interpretation of your words.

And by the way, you are welcome at any time to replace my interpretation...with yours...on what you define "mainstream African American culture" to be.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 05-30-2015 at 01:45 PM..

Old 05-30-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
If diversity is simply black and white to you then you may be right, but it can also be a place that doesn't have enough black people. Homogenous areas can lack diversity of any race or ethnicity or orientation. Diversity (or lack thereof) can allude to lots of things.
I'm not saying that "diversity" should be about just black and white.

What I am saying is, it's my anecdotal experience that whenever white people use the word "diversity", it's really just another way of saying they want less black people around and more white people around.

Because I typically don't see the average white person exalting the merits of Middle Eastern culture...or a "Joe the Plumber" type dude wondering why there hasn't been more Vietnamese people elected to public office.

With white people it's always the black folks. As it has been from America's very beginning.

Agree or disagree, that's how I see the situation.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 05-30-2015 at 01:53 PM..

Old 05-30-2015, 01:54 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Quote:

What you say is spot on.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:42 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
I'm not saying that "diversity" should be about just black and white.

What I am saying is, it's my anecdotal experience that whenever white people use the word "diversity", it's really just another way of saying they want less black people around and more white people around.

Because I typically don't see the average white person exalting the merits of Middle Eastern culture...or a "Joe the Plumber" type dude wondering why there hasn't been more Vietnamese people elected to public office.

With white people it's always the black folks. As it has been from America's very beginning.

Agree or disagree, that's how I see the situation.
This quote "I feel like this term "diversity"...is simply a code-word for less black/African American...or anyplace that does not have enough white people." sounds like you are dismissing others from the diversity discussion. Maybe I'm misinterpreting your comment, but it seems pretty straightforward.

It's pretty large of you to sit there and tell everyone what white people mean by a word, see or don't see, and what they want in general. I don't pretend to know what they want anymore than I know what all black people want. It's strange how some people pounce when anyone (white black or other) makes an assumption about black people, then turns around and does the exact same thing.

Anecdotal experience is just that - not a measure of society as a whole. I don't disagree with your comments on an anecdotal basis...it's just hard for me to pin that on everyone.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 05-30-2015 at 04:00 PM..

Old 05-30-2015, 03:59 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
I always thought just the opposite, as in a school (or school system) is not considered diverse unless it has minorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta