Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 04:03 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,040,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I always thought just the opposite, as in a school (or school system) is not considered diverse unless it has minorities.
That's the way a lot of people view it, but realistically diversity can be measured in a variety of ways - gender, race, nationality, or any number of other criteria. I guess race is the most common metric, and with a school it's going to reflect the surrounding community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 06:08 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,311,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
This quote "I feel like this term "diversity"...is simply a code-word for less black/African American...or anyplace that does not have enough white people." sounds like you are dismissing others from the diversity discussion. Maybe I'm misinterpreting your comment, but it seems pretty straightforward..
That's fine if you disagree with my take on the term. But you are not the "end-all-be-all" judge of my reality. So deal with it.

Quote:
It's pretty large of you to sit there and tell everyone what white people mean by a word, see or don't see, and what they want in general. I don't pretend to know what they want anymore than I know what all black people want. It's strange how some people pounce when anyone (white black or other) makes an assumption about black people, then turns around and does the exact same thing.
Gotta love these false equivalencies.

You keep talking like your reasoning should be the sum total reasoning that everyone should have. It ain't. Brutal reality in these yet-to-be United States of America has seen to that.

The day when black people en masse can make assumptions that will throw white people in jail unjustly, murder them through police state actions unjustly, deny them a positive image of themselves through media, redline and devalue white people's communities through some weird government-sanctioned gimmicky equation...then you can judge the heck outta what I say.

Otherwise, I really don't care what you think on what I say. Don't know why you seem to feel like you have some ultimate answer through your particular form of reasoning.

Must be a "white" thing.

Quote:
Anecdotal experience is just that - not a measure of society as a whole. I don't disagree with your comments on an anecdotal basis...it's just hard for me to pin that on everyone.
Whoever your workplace peers and friends are, I sincerely hope that they are "high-fiving" you daily and giving you multiple "atta-boys" for your particular sort of analytical thought-process.

Because it seems to me like you really want to win me over with your logic. But I have no "atta-boys" to spare, I'm afraid.

Too busy trying to come to terms with this Obama-style so-called "post-racial" 'murica.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 05-30-2015 at 06:34 PM..

Old 05-30-2015, 07:21 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Depends.

The forum can easily make or break the discussion. And in America, there doesn't seem to be a forum whether physical or online that exist yet...that can concretely and comprehensively discuss issues on Afrocentric-ness.

At least there is not one that can empower equally all those involved with high stakes and investment in such a conversation.

And you might want to be careful on this notion of "time and place". Once upon a time, "time and place" was an excuse used to dodge the question of Civil rights laws for black/African American people.

I'm just sayin'...
Dude, we're talking about a freakin' internet forum and you're making comparisons to fighting for civil rights during the mid-20th century? Are you serious?

Quote:
I am going by my interpretation of your words.

Because you never did defined exactly what "mainstream African American culture" is. And it's my 3rd time making this request of you.

So absent a defined definition from you, all that's left is my interpretation of your words.

And by the way, you are welcome at any time to replace my interpretation...with yours...on what you define "mainstream African American culture" to be.
I can already see that you're looking to be nitpicky and will dismiss any examples I give of mainstream AA culture (which should be obvious to any Black American not living under a rock) so I won't take the bait. Save the combative attitude for the enemy, whoever you perceive him/her/them/it to be.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Dude, we're talking about a freakin' internet forum and you're making comparisons to fighting for civil rights during the mid-20th century? Are you serious?
Attributing one part of my statement as somehow defining the whole of my statement? All I said was be careful with the wording "time and place".

You are making a major fallacy of composition error here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I can already see that you're looking to be nitpicky and will dismiss any examples I give of mainstream AA culture (which should be obvious to any Black American not living under a rock) so I won't take the bait. Save the combative attitude for the enemy, whoever you perceive him/her/them/it to be.
I don't look for "fights". I simply post my statements and follow through on them to the most ultimate and final conclusion.

You engaged me first on this subject, remember?

Besides I am equal opportunity when it comes to pissing people off. No enemies are needed on this particular road I travel.

Finally, no hard feelings. I am simply a hardcore believer that everyone needs to be challenged on their own worldview every now and then. Myself included.

Peace out.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 05-30-2015 at 08:17 PM..

Old 05-30-2015, 08:41 PM

16,706 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Brothers Acid and Mutiny...

I don't like this. Y'all are both too good for the forum to be going at each other.

Make up. Please...?

Old 05-30-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Attributing one part of my statement as somehow defining the whole of my statement? All I said was be careful with the wording "time and place".

You are making a major fallacy of composition error here.
Firstly, this is not a fallacy of composition because I am not ascribing any truth to your statement in its entirety based on a portion of that statement. I only took issue with your rather judicious implication of a very common statement that is often used within a variety of contexts. I can see if I said something about "state's rights" which has a very specific meaning historically, but "time and place"? Do you point this sort of thing out when people send you Evites with such wording?

Quote:
You engaged me first on this subject, remember?
What does that have to do with your almost combative responses?

Old 05-31-2015, 05:16 AM

Starting off: I am sorry.

Number two: I am sorry.

Number three: I am very, very, very, very...sorry.

That being said, the subject of Afrocentric-ness is something I take serious. And I feel like the black community right now is in crisis mode. Too many of us are comfortable with the token positions assigned to us by the dominant society, while the rest of us are catching "H".

And history being the judge, what affects some of us, will eventually affect all of us. No amount of kissing up and integrating with the dominant society will save us.

The height of this emergency is the Mayor of Baltimore and the U.S. President referring to the young protestors as thugs.

That represents to me the ultimate failure of the lack of connection to culture. And the failure of the older generations and leadership class to teach the youth a sense of culture.

So I will push on this particular issue. And I will push again on this issue. Because I really do believe that we folks who consider ourselves part of the black/African American diaspora...must tap into a culture of some kind to affiliate with each other for our survival.

We have no choice. There is no one else coming to the rescue, it seems.

So again, my apologies for these methods. These methods seem almost crazy. Fanatical, even.

But when it comes to the ideas and concepts of black/African American and Afrocentric identity, I feel almost "driven" to push the envelope.

Oh yeah.

I am sorry.

I am sorry.

And I am very sorry.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 05-31-2015 at 05:46 AM.. Reason: My tactics on this issue may be unsavory...and yet it must be done!

Old 05-31-2015, 06:00 AM

AcidSnake, we actually agree much more than we disagree here and I often think about and wrestle with the best ways to push for meaningful change without being cynical about the whole thing, which is extremely hard to do.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:52 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,528,500 times
[quote=Infinite_heights77;39808462]During the 80's/90's, Atlanta was becoming known for its Afrocentric/Black Cultural atmosphere that appealed to many other Blacks coming from other parts of the world (mainly for ex- Northeasters and Mid-Atlantians). Friends, family and colleagues would boats on how progressive Atlanta was becoming with its many Afrocentric/Black enterprises (e.g. independent schools, restaurants, colleges/universities, convention halls, churches and etc.).

Is that appeal still prevalent within The Atlantic Metro

Old 05-31-2015, 06:57 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,528,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
You are so out of the loop. If you aren't in the know on events don't give out bad information just because you are out of the loop on social events. That's the problem with people, they don't know what's going on so they assume nothing is going on when it's plenty. The only thing that decreases in the winter is outdoor festivals, everything else is still popping.
where is your in the loop LIST?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta