Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 11:52 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
And why does Atlanta have to have an affinity for rural culture to succeed? It's funny because it still doesn't stop people from calling Dallas boring(which it is because I was just there back in July). I think Atlanta has a lot more culture than Dallas does. The cowboy culture is incredibly overrated.
I don't think it was being argued that Atlanta has to have an affinity for rural culture to succeed, but that stronger rural-urban ties in Texas are partly to explain for significantly less urban/rural political animosity (in addition to having other major metropolitan areas within the state, as you mentioned).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 11:57 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't think it was being argued that Atlanta has to have an affinity for rural culture to succeed, but that stronger rural-urban ties in Texas are partly to explain for significantly less urban/rural political animosity (in addition to having other major metropolitan areas within the state, as you mentioned).
Like someone said, it all goes back to the Texas pride and culture that all of it's cities share.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Like someone said, it all goes back to the Texas pride and culture that all of it's cities share.
Yep; there's just not much that's distinct about Georgia culture as a whole.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:02 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Let's be honest. This will happen anywhere in this country where a school has low performing student body and gets redistricted so that more of the students from the low performing schools go to the more higher performing school. Let's not act like this is an Atlanta only thing. I heard the same thing happened in Dallas in their Highland Park neighborhood.
I've never heard of neighborhoods ganging up and doing petitions to kick other neighborhoods out. And this was to deal with overcrowding, so it wasn't a case of Morningside losing their school. It was neighborhoods wanted the school less crowded so they wanted to kick others out.

I don't know how anything happened in Highland Park. Its one of the most high income neighborhoods in Dallas. Its two cities separate from the city of Dallas and in a separate school district, but completely surrounded by Dallas. I can't think of any comparable Atlanta areas. It would be like a city full of Tuxedo Lanes. Their schools are all high performing. Its 90% white with zero% free lunch. Maybe you got the name of the neighborhood wrong.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:04 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
To be fair with the high speed rail, it's not like there are two fast growing 6+ million person metros in the state of Georgia. This comes back to the point I was making earlier. Dallas and Houston have the advantage over Atlanta of being in a more dynamic state.

I hate to be mean about it and further prove the point you and Bu2 make, but it's true. Georgia pretty much sucks outside of Atlanta and Savannah. It does. Savannah is the only city that actually has higher percentage job growth than Atlanta does. Just about every other metro underperforms.

And why does Atlanta have to have an affinity for rural culture to succeed? It's funny because it still doesn't stop people from calling Dallas boring(which it is because I was just there back in July). I think Atlanta has a lot more culture than Dallas does. The cowboy culture is incredibly overrated.
Rural Georgia has the roads and Atlanta has the colleges and universities-and the jobs.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:12 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
You folks who put down rural Georgia are flat out wrong to do that. It's asinine what some of you folks post on here about something you clearly don't understand.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:27 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I've never heard of neighborhoods ganging up and doing petitions to kick other neighborhoods out. And this was to deal with overcrowding, so it wasn't a case of Morningside losing their school. It was neighborhoods wanted the school less crowded so they wanted to kick others out.

I don't know how anything happened in Highland Park. Its one of the most high income neighborhoods in Dallas. Its two cities separate from the city of Dallas and in a separate school district, but completely surrounded by Dallas. I can't think of any comparable Atlanta areas. It would be like a city full of Tuxedo Lanes. Their schools are all high performing. Its 90% white with zero% free lunch. Maybe you got the name of the neighborhood wrong.
Highland park is absurdly wealthy. Or at least, absurdly exclusively wealthy. It's like the top public schools in the burbs here but matched with the location and wealth of SFH Buckhead with a grid layout similar or even better than the east Atlanta neighborhoods.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:06 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Well since you have some credentials, I will respond. I've lived in 6 different states and in Houston, San Antonio, Austin and Dallas. My parents are native Texans as are 3 of my 4 grandparents. You just seem to be in some isolated bubble.

Texans have pride like nowhere else. And it has to do with the Alamo and being an independent country and the long frontier era. So many of the westerns based on history happened in West Texas and that's part of the state's founding mythology. Your claim that size had everything to do with it was what made me doubt you had ever spent any significant time in the state. I still don't know how you could believe that.

I saw cowboy boots and hats all the time. Half of Houston wears them Go Texan week during the Houston rodeo. You have trail riders heading through town near rush hour and nobody complains. And while country music tends to have more white fans, every ethnic group will go to see country acts, even people like me who rarely listen to country music.

Now Dallas tends to be dressier and a little more pretentious, but there are boots and hats. And there certainly are in Austin and San Antonio. There isn't disdain for the "rednecks" like you hear in Atlanta. A lot of people have a dream of having a ranch out in the country. And pickup trucks are everywhere. The oil and gas industry involves lots of drilling in the sticks.

I just have no clue where you get your perceptions of Texas.

But as I said, I agree with you that number of counties here doesn't help. But Georgia is much more segregated in every way. Ethnically, politically, class. People are more likely to live near lots of people like themselves. That probably makes it harder to work together.
Now this is just getting very very very funny

Do you want me to go outside and take a picture of Texas right now? I litteally have dozen of cousins, aunt, uncles in Texas. In fact General family is mail divide Texas, Georgia, Mississippi and Chicago. I spent about half life in Texas, Graduated in Texas, Your not speaking to a random dude, I rep Texas which is again why it's in my username.

But I have a lot of questions right now yall don't have to answer.
Are yall white and listen to country?
Are yall over 40 and 50 hang out with a less diverse demographic of people? Again yall don't have to Answer.
Did you actually grow up around a diverse background but how many people of minority background did or have you ever known?

Also the Stuff yall mention are going to specific events that not surprising it's like going to a club and being surprise you saw a girl in short shorts. You freakin went to a rodeo itself your not going to see cowboy hats and boots normally walking around the mall.

Yes the Cowboy stuff is predominantly white and the main people who like it are into country music yall can't even admit that where are we even going with this? No minorities are not into the Cowboy that much you probably have more black Republicans in Texas than Blacks into the Cowboy stuff. I never said no minorities are into it and I agree with spade but it's pretty much overwhelming predominantly white thing.

As far Pride that's a straw man I said Texas has a lot of pride I rep Texas hard but it isn't center around no dang cowboy stuff wtf. And someone visiting the Alamo doesn't mean they into cowboy stuff. It's a public monument. First off a lot of younger people are not into history and stuff. Not just Texas but anywhere. So they can care less about what they learn in History just being real.

Yall was saying Transplants in general come to Texas and become into the rural culture........... no. They like they're cities or what ever but they don't care about rural Texas.

But Texas is so diverse and people are into so many things you can't put it in a box.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:02 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Quote:
Besides that's not true

The issue is not rural Georgia vs Urban Georgia.

Yes Rual Georgia picks on Atlanta but so do rual areas in all states. but Atlanta is the only city which is another issue Georgia is unbalance.

But rural Georgia isn't the reason MARTA is not in Cobb and Gwinnett. It's Metro Atlanta vs Metro Atlanta

The Issue is DEM vs. GOP politics

Georgia having smaller cities and counties this gives more opportunity to divide small fraction.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Besides that's not true

The issue is not rural Georgia vs Urban Georgia.

Yes Rual Georgia picks on Atlanta but so do rual areas in all states. but Atlanta is the only city which is another issue Georgia is unbalance.

But rural Georgia isn't the reason MARTA is not in Cobb and Gwinnett. It's Metro Atlanta vs Metro Atlanta

The Issue is DEM vs. GOP politics

Georgia having smaller cities and counties this gives more opportunity to divide small fraction.
You have a point as well; the balkanization of metro Atlanta is well-documented.

The urban/rural divide comes in at the state level. Georgia has historically been dominated by rural interests and that hasn't been to Atlanta's advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta